Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many percent of Tesla owners have bought TSLA shares and roughly how many shares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True everyone's risk is different. You may want to consider taking your principal off the table plus x % and then play with the house money. Why risk down side when it has gone parabolic? Don't get me wrong I think this company and ergo stock is a game changer for the world. I think this will be trading at a significantly high price 5-10 years from now. Just be careful. There is no reason to squander $ gains needlessly. Have you considered stop loss? You can always buy back more shares then at a lower price. It will go down at some point. Case in point apple. Everyone thought apple was untouchable, self included. Now look 300-350 from the High.

I have taken my principal amt off table and have the gains in the stock. That way I can invest my fluid cash in other positions to grow as well. Just a thought. GO TSLA!

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, but that is called gambling, not investing. You could do the same thing playing red and black on roulette and probably with better odds. When a stock goes down and sentiment turns I will go in and buy. I did that in 08 when everyone was selling in feb/march 2008, I was buying buying buying.

Friday Boeing plummeted 6%. I went in and bought calls @ aug105. Within 20 mins doubled my money. This morning sold them and almost tripled. Investing in tsla is great and it will go higher, just use stop loss, so you preserve your gains and then can buy back more shares at a lower price. That is how you grow rich and retire at 30-40 years old.

Even if tsla exceeds all estimates or meets them. Institutions can dump shares and 30-40 pts come off price. Why risk that kind of loss?

Sounds technically correct, but have to have a lot of time to monitor your account continuously each day, which implies one has to have piles of cash in the bank/invested with zero dependence on a day job. It's hard to call the bottom much too often on a stock that is tanking, like what happened with Apple for example. I decided to sell Apple at $550 and still had a nice profit when it tanked, because I knew that Apple was already very big and Steve Jobs was dead, and was unsure on Cook's skills. No "long-term" thinking on that one. Tesla on the other hand is still relatively small, has no real competition in it's product range, has a solid product, and has a great leader. Am less willing on going in and out of TSLA because I ain't no day trader with high speed trading skills/equipment and hence risk heavily on missing out on the party. Besides I want to screw the guys who are charging everyone $4.50/ gallon around the world. This is OUR Trayvon Martin protest!

100 @204.47
I took a retirement account that was making 4% and bought these shares. it's up 29.03% as of now. :) I won't make me rich but putting it in TSLA is doing way better than where it was before. :) So I'm long, kind a Forest Gump stock for me.

100 @204.47
I took a retirement account that was making 4% and bought these shares. it's up 29.03% as of now. :) I won't make me rich but putting it in TSLA is doing way better than where it was before. :) So I'm long, kind a Forest Gump stock for me.

Same story here. I bought 51 shares at $191 a few months ago. This was the first time I ever bought stock. I'm thinking about Solar City next. Definitely if it goes under $50.

My TSLA story is the opposite of the original intent of this thread started several years ago. Investor first, then I found TMC and became completely obsessed with the Model S.

I had a very fortunate windfall in early Q1 and opened a new Ameritrade account to build a portfolio. The bulk of my net worth is in RE, company stock and retirement accounts. The new account was my first serious foray into trading in about 15 years. For most of the last 35 years I've been dollar cost averaging into index and growth funds.

TSLA was initially about 15% of the holdings of the new non-retirement account. I've been extraordinarily lucky - made 25% off WB and got out before the crash; enjoyed some very nice test drives of RH, GOOG, FB and AMZN. Each time I've cashed out of a ST gain, I've added to TSLA. My advisor is having a conniption of late; he's been calling and emailing me with regularity to let me know I'm being foolish and ignoring my own philosophy of asset allocation. I just laugh and say thanks for looking out.

There are so many great near term catalysts to the TSLA story: energy storage, Model X, the Gigafactory, the Model 3, and oh, right, the best sedan ever built. Consensus continues to underestimate where this company will be in 3, 5 & 10 years. I am convinced TSLA is the opportunity of a lifetime.

I could be wrong, and if I am, the 2022 retirement is still on track, the 529s are funded, and there's a pretty solid chance we sell the company at an attractive premium. It was an unexpected & unnecessary windfall that funded this position, so I'm comfortable with the risk.

And if I'm right? Then I'm going to be a very content philanthropist in my declining years.

:)

Oh, and I will need to sell off a portion this fall. I have to get into a CPO Model S before the year is out.

Reading through these makes me seem insane.

Don't own a model S but I want one. First interaction with TSLA was when I saw the headline that Peter Rawlinson left back in Jan 2012. Stock dropped like a rock -19% in a day. I bought in with all my money I had (back then it was like ~1,000 shares), made a quick buck there. Then cashed out and waited for Model S and let my AAPL shares grow. A couple years later I saw that the 23rd Street store had the Model S prototype (in the time after I bought the shares in 2012 I found this forum) and went to the store to check it out -- touched the materials and stuff. Then next day I liquidated my entire portfolio and savings account and dumped it into TSLA... Then when Model S came out for a drive I sold my S2000 and took the proceeds and put it into TSLA. Then to add more pain I went on margin and put it into TSLA.

People were calling me insane at this point-- especially because I have my masters and undergrad in finance... but whatever. To this day, I'm still "insane" TSLA remains to be 90% of all my net worth --A couple hundred shares :). Ill advised yes, but I did this with Aapl in 2008... Here's to the crazy ones.

Reading through these makes me seem insane.

Don't own a model S but I want one. First interaction with TSLA was when I saw the headline that Peter Rawlinson left back in Jan 2012. Stock dropped like a rock -19% in a day. I bought in with all my money I had (back then it was like ~1,000 shares), made a quick buck there. Then cashed out and waited for Model S and let my AAPL shares grow. A couple years later I saw that the 23rd Street store had the Model S prototype (in the time after I bought the shares in 2012 I found this forum) and went to the store to check it out -- touched the materials and stuff. Then next day I liquidated my entire portfolio and savings account and dumped it into TSLA... Then when Model S came out for a drive I sold my S2000 and took the proceeds and put it into TSLA. Then to add more pain I went on margin and put it into TSLA.

People were calling me insane at this point-- especially because I have my masters and undergrad in finance... but whatever. To this day, I'm still "insane" TSLA remains to be 90% of all my net worth --A couple hundred shares :). Ill advised yes, but I did this with Aapl in 2008... Here's to the crazy ones.

I wish I had the same amount of guts as you. I'd be retired by now :) instead of 20 years from now. Didn't invest enough in Apple in 2007 or enough in Tesla in 2011 (when I opened my initial positions) and never let anything get above 5% of portfolio (kept selling Apple to keep it under that limit) until now with Tesla at about 6% (and I'm not selling like I did with Apple).

I wish I had the same amount of guts as you. I'd be retired by now :) instead of 20 years from now. Didn't invest enough in Apple in 2007 or enough in Tesla in 2011 (when I opened my initial positions) and never let anything get above 5% of portfolio (kept selling Apple to keep it under that limit) until now with Tesla at about 6% (and I'm not selling like I did with Apple).

For those deeply steeped in modern portfolio theory (MPT), I commend to you this alternative view - "Is Portfolio Theory Harming Your Portfolio" (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1840734). I know when I stumbled on it, I found the paper enlightening.

The core assumption that I've always been uncomfortable with is to talk about volatility as risk. In extreme cases like Tesla, that assumption can lead to some bad outcomes. Though this is also dependent on one's time horizon. If you're trading daily or hourly, then volatility is probably an excellent proxy or alternative measure of risk.

If your time horizon is 5 or 10+ years, then volatility is nearly meaningless as a measure of risk. On this time horizon, risk at least the way I view it, is the likelihood and consequence of bankruptcy or similar event.

With a long time horizon and this alternative view of portfolios, it's become easy to be comfortable with more like a 20% commitment to Tesla (though it didn't start that way!).

Lol don't even compare it'll trip you up. I fell into this trap many times and it clouds your judgement and risk appetite. I was only able to do what I could because I'm in my late 20's with no obligations...yet (except my mortgage).

It would've been really cool if I held the couple thousand shares from 2012 but I saw AAPL at the time as too good of an opp.

For those deeply steeped in modern portfolio theory (MPT), I commend to you this alternative view - "Is Portfolio Theory Harming Your Portfolio" (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1840734). I know when I stumbled on it, I found the paper enlightening.

The core assumption that I've always been uncomfortable with is to talk about volatility as risk. In extreme cases like Tesla, that assumption can lead to some bad outcomes. Though this is also dependent on one's time horizon. If you're trading daily or hourly, then volatility is probably an excellent proxy or alternative measure of risk.

If your time horizon is 5 or 10+ years, then volatility is nearly meaningless as a measure of risk. On this time horizon, risk at least the way I view it, is the likelihood and consequence of bankruptcy or similar event.

With a long time horizon and this alternative view of portfolios, it's become easy to be comfortable with more like a 20% commitment to Tesla (though it didn't start that way!).
Thanks for the link.

Bingo. This is how I look at it.

I am totally comfortable with the volatility of TSLA. I worry about fundamentals (are they opening up enough service centers? Do they understand that they need to? Are they even capable of training people fast enough? Do they have any actual competitors? Etc.)