Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many powerwalls per inverter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that currently the StorEdge inverter can be used to charge a single PowerWall. I haven't had much luck getting concrete answers to hooking up multiple PowerWalls to a single inverter. Does anyone here know whether/how/if it's possible to use multiple PowerWalls with a single StorEdge ?
On a related note - are there other inverters that can be used for this ? So far my solar installer doesn't have other solutions.
Thanks !

Yeah, that's the one thing holding me back. The lack of information from Tesla and the fact that only one inverter seems to (currently) support the PowerWall makes it a significantly less attractive option. I don't want a bank of ugly batteries sitting in my basement. A generator almost seems worth it

I know that currently the StorEdge inverter can be used to charge a single PowerWall. I haven't had much luck getting concrete answers to hooking up multiple PowerWalls to a single inverter. Does anyone here know whether/how/if it's possible to use multiple PowerWalls with a single StorEdge ?
On a related note - are there other inverters that can be used for this ? So far my solar installer doesn't have other solutions.
Thanks !
According to my contact at Tesla Energy, the only Powerwall compatible inverter in the US at this time is the SolarEdge SE7600A-USS model. I don't know anything about a "StorEdge" inverter.

I am only getting one Powerwall so have not asked if that inverter can be connected to multiple Powerwalls.

......I don't want a bank of ugly batteries sitting in my basement.
The Powerwall was designed to be a showcase on your garage wall for all your neighbors to see that you have a Tesla in your garage. LOL Even with Lithium ion batteries we are not talking bulky and corrosive lead acid batteries. Every time I look at my Lithium Ion batteries I think of the money I am saving and how I will have power during a blackout.

I found some used 180Ahr Lithium Ion batteries in a classified section of diyelectriccar.com . They cost $100 per kWhr. I have 48 of them and wired them in groups of 3 parallel for a pack of 3P16S (24kWhr) . Because they are nominally 3 volts that gets me to 48 volts which is what my Outback Inverter runs at. I had the ability to test some of them randomly before I invested in all 48 and my bet paid off. Normally new Lithium Ion batteries are about $400/kWhr but you can find used Tesla modules for $250 and Volt and Leaf cells for $200. Long term they are much cheaper and less maintenance than lead acid. I don't want to divert this thread any further but feel free to PM me for my email and contract info.

According to my contact at Tesla Energy, the only Powerwall compatible inverter in the US at this time is the SolarEdge SE7600A-USS model. I don't know anything about a "StorEdge" inverter.

I am only getting one Powerwall so have not asked if that inverter can be connected to multiple Powerwalls.
The StorEdge inverter is just the SolarEdge inverter with a new DC disconnect that is compatible with the Powerwall. The retrofit kits that contain this new DCD will supposedly not be available until later in 2016.

I doubt this is true. There has to be a charge controller, and I doubt it is in the powerwall.
That depends on your definition of "Charge Controller". The PowerWall contains a DC/DC converter which can charge or discharge the batteries on command. My understanding is that the firmware in the inverter is giving the commands to the PowerWall for when to and how much to charge and discharge. By my definition, that makes the inverter firmware the "charge controller". The solar MPPT function that is normally done in an off-grid charge controller is actually done by the inverter in concert with the SolarEdge optimizers.

Reactions: Ampster
If Tesla's car battery is wired at 300v, so is the powerwall. How it is wired should be shown by the people who disassembled tesla batteries from wrecks. I would be surprised if there is a DC/DC inverter in the powerwall, considering solaredge requires power optimizers to use their inverter with the Powerwall.

Inside the solaredge's DC disconnect is the disconnect, of course, and some relays for switching critical loads, grid and autotransformer. Also included is a possible RGM if that option is selected. There is connection to the powerwall and powerwall's fan too. The solaredge's installation manual shows those things.