Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many pre-facelift owners here are on their original Drive Unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 2015 build S85D, 70K miles, both drive units still original.

Just curious, what conclusions are you attempting to draw from these data points?

Bruce.
The original pre-late 2014 big rear DU’s had quite a bit different internals. I’m just curious about how many are left, and how far they went. No agenda, just wondering.

The original pre-late 2014 big rear DU’s had quite a bit different internals. I’m just curious about how many are left, and how far they went. No agenda, just wondering.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply a hidden agenda. I was thinking more about how you would go from a number of self-reported, er, "survival stories" to a statement about statistical reliability. Also as someone pointed out, a number of us with dual-motor cars responded but we weren't meant to.

Bruce.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply a hidden agenda. I was thinking more about how you would go from a number of self-reported, er, "survival stories" to a statement about statistical reliability. Also as someone pointed out, a number of us with dual-motor cars responded but we weren't meant to.

Bruce.
I’m not after a super accurate estimate. I was simply curious. I also thought about the responses from dual motor cars before I posted, that’s why the title states “unit”. It’s no big deal that owners of D cars post, as I said before, it’s not really a scientific experiment.

Reactions: bmah
What is a "capped" battery? We have the same spec car and I am unfamiliar with that term.

Firmware version 2019.16.1 limited the voltage that each cell in the battery can be charged to on the 85 kWh battery. A normal cell is charged to 4.2 volts at 100% SOC. The software update reduced the maximum voltage that each cell will charge to to about 4.09 volts. This is called capping. As a result of the capping, a battery pack that may have had a range of say 255 miles prior to 2019.16.1 may only have a range of say 225 miles after the firmware update. Not all 85 kWh batteries were subjected to the capping. But many were.

There is a huge discussion of this on TMC (over 6,000 posts so far), and a class action lawsuit has been filed over this.

Reactions: robertjarias