TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How Many Reversing Lights Do You Have?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Keeper, Nov 3, 2019.

?

How many reversing lights have you got?

1. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

95.7%
  3. 2

4.3%
  1. Keeper

Keeper Member

#1 Keeper, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    My colleague told me, just after I had picked up my car, that I only had one reversing light working. I assumed, because I had just picked the car up, that this was standard. I just watched a YouTube video that shows an exact same model as mine with two reversing lights. Thought I'd better check before I book an SC appointment.

2. arg

arg Supporting Member

Was the YouTube video from the USA?

On Model S at least there are two lamp positions; we get one reversing plus one rear fog, while over there they get two reversing and no rear fog.

Not sure about Model 3.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. elecTED

elecTED Member

Same for model 3 (ie, UK = 1 reverse light, 1 rear fog)

Really would prefer symmetry and more light when reversing. One reverse light means the rear area remains poorly lit when reversing.

• Helpful x 1
  4. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Not (bright) enough. Not looking forward to the day when having to reverse in the dark and no usable rear camera.

Do the rear view mirrors tint at night regardless or only when there is vehicle glare from behind? I had to reverse onto a narrow unlit road on Saturday night and apart from rear view camera I felt totally blind. Had to use hazards in case anyone came along so they could see me as I sure felt I wasn’t going to see them or reversing area. Didn’t help that suddenly out of nowhere a couple and pram suddenly appeared and just stood there oblivious that I was actually trying to manoeuvre.

5. Keeper

Keeper Member

#5 Keeper, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    It was. That explains it. p/poor illumination, as mentioned. Its hard to reconcile the design thinking for a car design that majors on safety so much but seems to have neglected the simple things like the reversing illumination, automatic wipers and steering wheel control functions.

• Like x 1
  6. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

No front headlight wash either which meant on the pre facelift MS the lightbulbs had to be down rated for Europe, so going forwards at night isn't fun in one of those .

• Informative x 1
  7. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

I'd like two rear fog lights ... I think one-of-each is a major compromise (is it the Mini that has one fog, central, down in the bottom of the bumper? on a foggy night cars behind may well completely misjudge what type of vehicle it would be ... and its "width" of course)

Perhaps engage Rear Fog (and even hazards?) if more light needed to see when reversing?

8. arg

arg Supporting Member

However, one only seems to be extremely common across all categories of cars now (in my recollection much more so than when rear fogs were new back in the 80's and normally came in pairs).

I don't understand why this is, since AFAIK the regulations have always required only one (but permit two).

I'm not sure this is really a concern - if you are far enough away that you can see the rear fog but can't make out the normal rear lamps, you don't really care what it is, you know there's something there and need to slow down for it. If you get to the point of manoeuvering around the car in front and still can't see the rear lamps, you've got bigger problems!

Lack of brightness of the reversing lamp is a real issue though - not so much that there's just one, more that there's only one and it's small and not exceptionally bright. The rear camera does manage a surprisingly good job of extracting an image from the gloom, but I'd certainly prefer brighter.

9. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

Given the restrictions on light slots it would have been nice if they had made the reverse and rear fog as dual purpose. with both white and red LEDs behind a clear lens.

Even better, a little forward thinking over export market regulations at design stage..!

• Like x 2
  10. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

I had to ask my SC about this as well - bit embarrassing thinking there was a defect when it was normal operation.

Maybe something they should flag up to new owners?

11. LukeT

LukeT Member

Reversing quite often in the pitch black (narrow Devon lanes necessitate long accurate reverses quite often) the reversing light isn't good enough to rely on the camera in my view. I have often gone back to the mirrors. It's a shame because if we had a decent light the camera would be really very good for this job.

It may be just me but where I find it easy to use all three mirrors together in reversing like this, if I use the cameras my eyes need a bit of a refocus between that and mirrors so camera and mirrors together don't work quite so well.

In many situations though, the brake lights are also on for much of the reverse, and they do provide more light.

12. VanillaAir_UK

Do your mirrors auto dip in this situation?

13. LukeT

LukeT Member

Mine? I have my wing mirrors set to tilt down a bit in reverse, which is OK for field of vision but I don't think it helps with the darkness.

14. VanillaAir_UK

Sorry, I meant dip as in tint. I was to busy reversing to pay any attention to whether the mirrors had auto tinted or not, further adding to lack of rear view. I know they were tinted on drive home with cars behind, but would like to think that they were not tinted whilst reversing in the dark. Just not sure but you never know with some of the auto functionality working how it does.

15. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Slight diversion but I was quite surprised how small and dim M3 indicators are at the back when I was following one recently.

• Like x 1
  16. elecTED

elecTED Member

656F25F3-951F-4B78-828B-890E83AF23AA.jpeg

Are these two boys just reflective stickers?

Could they have been used/designed as fog lights?

Attached Files:

17. VanillaAir_UK

And brake lights. If it wasn't for the 'high level' brake light, they would be just as small.

• Like x 1
  18. Lx2m3

Lx2m3 Member

Does anyone know of any possibility to change the reversing light in the M3 to something brighter?

19. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

I don't think there is a simple solution to this.

20. 12Pack

12Pack ..

Use the rear fog light?