Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Roadsters are Left?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we know there were roughly 1500 sold in the U.S. and another 900 or so worldwide for a total of roughly 2400, plus or minus.

But how many of them have been destroyed in accidents or otherwise? Medlock and Gruber keep buying wrecked ones for the parts and Tesla buys them for trade-ins and parts. So what’s that leave on the road today? Anyone ever looked at crash databases and matched up VINs to get a rough number? How exclusive is our little club???

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
That was the reason there wrecked roadster registry started. To try and track the lost ones. It’s hard because we know there are a good handful hiding out for new batteries.

That thread show wrecks, but isn’t really a catalogue of ones out of service, as evidenced by a number in that thread that have been resurrected. I don’t know if the government or a private organization catalogues VINs no longer in service.

This is a tough one. Of the ~1500 North American Roadsters, I can confirm at least 44 cars that are no longer with us. There are many others that were wrecked and rebuilt, many that have not yet been / may never be rebuilt, and others that were wrecked & ended up somewhere in Europe where I’ve lost track of them.

The best estimate I tell myself in my head is that of the ~1500 for NA (final number coming eventually), we have 1200+ left on the road/in garages, easily between 50-100 with dead ESS, and the remainder are a mix of those that are salvage, rebuilt, overseas, or no longer in existence.

Hug your Roadster next time you see it. We must keep them alive.

Last edited:
if the number left running is decreasing then I wonder why the value of those left seems unchanged in years. I see them listing for between $55-$78k. Tesla offers far below that to trade in. I am happy to say my #1291 is still great, although its at Gruber getting the PEM rebuld so I can get another wonderful 10 years on it!

if the number left running is decreasing then I wonder why the value of those left seems unchanged in years. I see them listing for between $55-$78k. Tesla offers far below that to trade in. I am happy to say my #1291 is still great, although its at Gruber getting the PEM rebuld so I can get another wonderful 10 years on it!

The fact that the value is not decreasing demonstrates the continued desirability and reduced supply. Most cars would be depreciating in value. The fact that Roadsters aren’t is, in part, because of that constrained supply.

So we know there were roughly 1500 sold in the U.S. and another 900 or so worldwide for a total of roughly 2400, plus or minus.

But how many of them have been destroyed in accidents or otherwise? Medlock and Gruber keep buying wrecked ones for the parts and Tesla buys them for trade-ins and parts. So what’s that leave on the road today? Anyone ever looked at crash databases and matched up VINs to get a rough number? How exclusive is our little club???

Attachments

• 810DD8E4-3023-4363-BF56-AD22A665E906.jpeg
    810DD8E4-3023-4363-BF56-AD22A665E906.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 267

Attachments

• Tesla Roadster Sport Very Orange.jpg
    Tesla Roadster Sport Very Orange.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Tesla2.JPG
    Tesla2.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: IslandRoadster

How does one determine one's Roadster customer number? Is is the last digits of the VIN? I have a 2011 Roadster 9Still on the road) and the VIN's last 4 digits are 1408. Does that make me customer number 1408? Thank you.