Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many roadsters remain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
I've been wondering how many roadsters are still alive. Obviously, one was recently sent towards Mars, but I also occasionally read about roadsters destroyed in crashes and I think 3 or so burned up last year along with a Tzero. Anyone have a guess how many remain? I assume that there were roughly 2450 to start. Are we below 2000 remaining yet?

Reactions: ICON
My guess is there are at LEAST 50-100 that have been completely totaled in the U.S. If all ~1512 (unverified number) of U.S. Roadsters truly existed, the healthiest guess would be that around 1400 remain alive today. As for the rest of the world, I'm not sure.

I think there are a couple of levels of the cars not running anymore. There's the totally destroyed level (or flying to Mars or parted out) which will never again be roadworthy. Then there's the cars that might currently be too expensive to fix (maybe some body damage plus a bricked battery), but could be fixed if our cars went up enough in value to justify it. Ecarfan's estimate of total still roadworthy (2000) seems about right to me.

Reactions: DeedWest
I always wondered how many "Sport" edition Roadsters were produced? Have looked everywhere and even asked my Tesla Service Center, but no one seems to know...

This gives some idea (at least for ones that went to the USA/NorthAmerican market):

attachment-php-attachmentid-83110-d-1433368556-png.158580

So about 522 Sports for North America out of about 953 total North American Roadsters for 2010 & 2011.

(I am not counting any of the 2008 1.5s since there was no Sport variant available back then.)

So I think a little more than half of them were ordered as "Sport" models. I am not sure if the ratio in Europe was the same. Proper European production was always 2.x models with Sport variant always available in 2010/2011/2012.

Last edited:
This gives some idea (at least for ones that went to the USA/NorthAmerican market):

attachment-php-attachmentid-83110-d-1433368556-png.158580

So about 522 Sports for North America out of about 953 total North American Roadsters for 2010 & 2011.

(I am not counting any of the 2008 1.5s since there was no Sport variant available back then.)

So I think a little more than half of them were ordered as "Sport" models. I am not sure if the ratio in Europe was the same. Proper European production was always 2.x models with Sport variant always available in 2010/2011/2012.
So TEG with 500 1.5s and your 953 number that means only 1453 USA Roadsters?

Pretty close... Here is a special VIN plaque on the last North American Roadster:
final5of5.png

final5of5b.png

You can count it different ways... There was a gap near the end of the 1.5s... They skipped the #485-#499 and went right to #500 for the last 1.5.
But then you can add some back in if you count the VPs, Founders' and other prototypes.
"Approaching 1500".

On the Eurospec Roadsters they were counting up towards 1012 but decided to make the very last one #2500 to add the NorthAmerican + European together.
Euro3of4.jpg

You could say "Slightly less than 1500 for North America", and "Slightly less than 2500 total".

Some other ambiguities:
Do you count cars that were produced then immediately crash tested without ever being used otherwise?
Do you count prototypes? Only ones that were eventually sold?
So the exact numbers are a little squishy.

Last edited: