TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many Roadsters were actually made?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by steve873, Dec 2, 2013.

1. steve873

steve873 Member

Alright, I am shopping for my roadster. I literally check teslamotors.com, ebay, cars.com,autotrader.com, and the cars for sale on TMC three to four times a day!!!! My question is some people are reporting 2400 roadster were made. I thought it was 1500. I have seen this 2400 number many times. What is the actual number of roadsters made?

O yeah, if anyone knows of another website to check for cars, please let me know.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

3. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

4. 7racer

7racer Member

are you asking world wide or in the US?

I think it's 1500 in the US. I was close to the last on the production run and my vin is 1400

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The details:

How many Roadsters will be produced?

The bottom line:

2,600 produced.
    2,300 + make your own guess, sold.

The difference:

My personal opinion is that Elon has them in a warehouse someone and is planning on using them as Martian Rovers in his retirement.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Awfully round number. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla had never actually counted the exact number made.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

From another thread on the subject of the last U.S. roadster:

9. markwj

They sold the last Hong Kong roadster six months ago, and the next last one a month or so later, and the next last one a month after that. I hear there is another last one being delivered this week.

They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Where there is a buyer, there is a way.

10. markwj

I read it was a contracted number, hence the 'roundness'. They had agreed to buy 2,500 gliders from Lotus, and followed up with an extension of another 100. Details in that other thread I referenced.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Sure, but there are validation prototypes on the road, etc.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think it very likely that Tesla knows the exact number of Roadsters produced and sold, but it seems they have kept that number to themselves. But I agree that it is unlikely to be exactly 2,500 or 2,600.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

14. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I thought I read somewhere that 1450 had been sold in the US. With the VIN of 1463, I would think you would subtract 100 for a total of 1363? I don't think there are any cars with a lower VIN than 100? I think the Founders and Signature cars would be in addition to cars number 100-1463 because I believe they used a different VIN series? My car is #107, and I don't think it is a Founders or Signature car? I doubt that my car was the seventh car built? Maybe there are cars with VIN numbers 001, 002, 003 etc? Hopefully someone out there can clarify.

15. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

I have bought one of the last roadsters in Europe; I bought it in July 2012 and was told, it was one of the very last ones for sale. It had been used for test rides and demos.

Might have been a sales pitch to get me over the fence - if it was, it worked.

Anyway VIN ends on 968.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

A demo car could have had a lower VIN than the last ones because it was built earlier and used for test drives to help sell the last ones.

In the USA at least, I think a demo car can be old and have a lot of miles but gets tracked as "new sale to first owner" because it was driven on dealer/manufacturer plates previously to being sold.

17. markwj

Nice find. It also lists 2,450 as the number sold as of the end of 2012.

18. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Signature Series

I thought the Signature Series were the first 100 - an acquaintance has #78 (I saw the Vin)

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#19 TEG, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    The whole Roadster VIN history can be found elsewhere on this forum.

There were a series of VPs (Validation prototypes / marketing cars) separate from regular production, but most were eventually sold. So you could add some of those to the total. (Some were for North America and some went elsewhere.)
    The Founders' series was also another batch of cars using a different VIN sequence. So some more there.
    Then they had the "Sig100" starting with Vin1 going to Vin99. Then regular production starting at #101. (#100 was a special pseudo-sig car.)
    The non-North American (European, etc.) cars were on a different sequence.

So it was roughly 1450 "regular production" North American cars + another 50 or so if you add the VPs and Founders. So you could have 1500 North American + another 1000 for the rest of the world.

When I had been trying to keep track of North American VINs, I saw missing ones here and there that were never registered here. A few got sent "out of market" (like I think NA car #888 went to Taiwan), but some others may just have been missing. Perhaps some were crash tested, or damaged in shipping so they never got sold/registered. I figure a few cars went straight into someone's museum without ever being registered as well.

So, trying to find an exact number is a bit squishy.

20. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

So a follow on question - Of the 2500 worldwide (TEG's squishy number), any idea how many are sadly, dearly departed?