Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Roadsters will be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard from a pretty reliable source that they are indeed stopping at VIN 1400 in the US; and that in fact VINs 1398, 1399 and 1400 have already been sold at well over MSRP. That was a surprise to me too as I thought they were going to put out a full 2400 cars. Maybe they still are, but are stopping in the US...I don't know, that part is pure speculation on my part.

After they stop taking custom orders, they will still have a few cars in the pipeline. And demo cars to sell. And they will probably start a Roadster buy-back program at some point for people planning to get a Model S. So somebody that wants a Roadster can still probably get one for a while; but if you want a new one built to order, you had better hurry.

Thanks for the input... This thread should probably have been called the "No More US Roadsters Countdown". Maybe non-US Roadsters are so much more profitable for TM that they can afford to wait while non-US customers eat through the remaining supply. I do recall our sales guy saying that we would be getting one of the last US non-Sport models for the same reason. It will be kind of sad if I give someone a ride and he/she says "Right! I want one!" and I have to say "Sorry... Try eBay.". Or maybe that would be awesome. I guess I'll find out.

I seem to recall that they were going to discontinue the "non-Sport" before the Sport, presumably to get as much revenue as possible out of the last cars. Are you sure 1400 isn't the termination of the "base" Roadster, not all of them?

I seem to recall that they were going to discontinue the "non-Sport" before the Sport, presumably to get as much revenue as possible out of the last cars. Are you sure 1400 isn't the termination of the "base" Roadster, not all of them?

I had heard that too, a while back. I even asked about it. But what I heard recently was that 1400 was the last US Roadster, period.

I had heard that too, a while back. I even asked about it. But what I heard recently was that 1400 was the last US Roadster, period.

That's essentially what we heard. Maybe the last 50 (i.e. #1351 to #1400) will all be Sport models? We also heard some other stuff about an upgrade or trade-up program (v1.5 -> v2.5) which will keep the Tesla Rangers busy, but I'm getting into Chinese Whispers territory here.

I feel like we're incredibly lucky to be getting our car, because we almost waited until July to order it. In fact we almost cancelled the test drive, thinking we would not buy one of these crazy cars (which I'd never seen before and barely heard of), not in a month of Sundays. And now we're polishing the wall in our garage where the NEMA 14-50 connecter will go. It's funny how things turn out.

Last edited:
Sad news... And they only just got the online "Design Studio" going so that people could start to preview their custom Roadster configurations.

Plus new stores open in the USA recently. Will Santana Row switch to Model S pre-orders only?

Od, I'm sure only TM knows how many "pre-ordered stock Roadsters" are currently still available...perhaps you should contact them as you might be able to get a stock Roadster with 80-90% of the colour & options you wanted in the first place...don't give up yet...a bird in the hand...:wink:

Well this is a depressing thread. I was hoping to design my new Roadster once I move up to Washington state this summer, but looks like I should just kiss that plan good-bye.

Two unsubstantiated rumours which might give you hope:

• TM might buy pre-2.5 Roadsters back from owners, upgrade them and sell them as 2.5 spec... They only need a small supply of 2.5's to do this. Or they could even just operate a "Manufacturer Re-Certified" program for pre-owned ones. Depending on what they're keeping in reserve (wheels, motors, etc), you might still be able to get an almost-custom car for the next six months.
  • A long time ago in a thread far, far away I heard that Elon Musk wanted to keep supplying the Roadster model as a "kit car". i.e., where you buy the parts and put them together yourself, although I don't know how it would work without a supply of gliders from Lotus. If I tried to build a car, it would result in an early grave, but there's always someone out there willing to build these things for you as a service.

But yes, it is sad if it's true. By the time Tesla cycles back around to make a new Roadster, the landscape will have changed dramatically, but maybe for the better (certainly in terms of price, I'd think).

This thread:

How many Roadsters will be produced?

The Feb. Tesla Motors newsletter states:

Responding to international demand, Tesla has increased Roadster production by 100 vehicles. In total, 2,500 cars will be produced. Although demand exceeds 2,500 vehicles, Tesla will stay true to its original commitment that the Roadster's limited production will help make it a collector's item. The order increase allows Tesla to respond to market demand in 2011 and 2012 while maintaining exclusivity.

And

From Quarterly Report 10.Aug 2010:

We have a supply agreement with Lotus, which we amended in March 2010, pursuant to which we are obligated to purchase a minimum of 2,400 Tesla Roadster vehicles or gliders over the term of the agreement, which will expire in December 2011.

We currently intend to manufacture gliders with Lotus for our current generation Tesla Roadster until December 2011. We intend to use these gliders in the manufacturing of the Tesla Roadster to both fulfill orders placed in 2011 as well as new orders placed in 2012 until our supply of gliders is exhausted. Accordingly, we intend to offer a number of Tesla Roadsters for sale in 2012. To the extent we wish to sell additional Tesla Roadsters with the Lotus gliders beyond the 2,400 we have already contracted for, we will need to negotiate a new or amended supply agreement with Lotus but may be unable to do so on terms and conditions favorable to us, if at all.

Last known sales level was 1,800 roadsters, so that leaves 700 more to go.

No idea how many US vs international, but we still have a ways to go with the Roadster.

I seem to recall a federal law mandating auto manufacturers keep enough spare parts in inventory to be able to repair/service a particular model for a period of 10 years. Could this explain the discrepancy of how many roadsters Tesla is making available to the public?

I seem to recall a federal law mandating auto manufacturers keep enough spare parts in inventory to be able to repair/service a particular model for a period of 10 years. Could this explain the discrepancy of how many roadsters Tesla is making available to the public?

Considering that the aluminum tub damage is difficult to fix, and some relatively minor accidents could end up being a 'total', that is a scary thought if they had to keep enough spare chassis on hand to be able to repair all majorly damaged Roadsters for 10 years. Maybe something like that could explain if they decided to stop selling in the USA and focus elsewhere? (In places where no such law exists?)

I'm sure more than a few Roadster owners would be willing to spend some good money on a 400 mile pack (for example) in a few years.

Assuming Tesla is still in business, a few years down the line they will have about 2,500 customers with aging battery packs. There is some serious money to be made there - not forgetting they _have_ to do it anyway for some owners with their extended battery warranty program.

Considering that the aluminum tub damage is difficult to fix, and some relatively minor accidents could end up being a 'total', that is a scary thought if they had to keep enough spare chassis on hand to be able to repair all majorly damaged Roadsters for 10 years. Maybe something like that could explain if they decided to stop selling in the USA and focus elsewhere? (In places where no such law exists?)

I think the law refers to maintenance and replacement of worn parts under warranty, rather than repairing damage from accidents. It's hard to see how you would damage the aluminum tub and stay within warranty. Corrosion or fracturing maybe but certainly not crashes.

This may be all a rumor from GM's justification for crushing the EV-1. There are those who say no such law exists:
http://www.altfuels.org/misc/onlygm.html

Edit: Found a California law for electronic or appliance product. It's Civil Code 1793.03 (part of the "Lemon Law"). $50-$99.99 is 3 years. $100+ is 7 years. Exact wording for the 7 year one:
Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product
Civil Code 1793.03 can be found here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1792-1795.8

Business and Professions Code 9801 (h), (i), (j), (k) here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=4972229564+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

There might be a law for vehicles, but couldn't find one (maybe some one can, but if it exists, I don't get why it's not in the Lemon law like the rest of them). This law may still apply to electronics in the vehicle itself though.

Anyone who has the time can feel free to browse through the California code here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Last edited: