Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Safety Score 98 waiting for FSD 10.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been sitting at 96 but the last few days I had some long drives and all hit 99 scores.
Today I see a safety score of 98 on my app and don't want to move it till I get FSD. Hoping
it comes out Sunday but even if it did I we may not all get it that day. My next drive is Monday morning.

This whole FSD Beta thing has been a trying experience.

Like many people, after I was granted the Driving Score process on my phone App I had mostly good scores (days of 100s) but also inexplicably low scores for alleged events (especially on one day) that I did not even notice. So I was down to 96 (or lower), then up to 97, and finally up to 98, where I stayed day after day. Taking longer routes then I would normally do to build up mileage did not work for me; some unknown, invisible (to me) event would invariably occur to keep my score the same or lower. Finally I gave up and started mostly ignoring it.

A week ago Sunday (still with the long-standing "98" score) I went to a movie 20 miles away. On the way back, going through a construction zone on a multi-lane bridge, with the right-hand lane blocked off and concrete barriers eliminating the "shoulders," and while using the Autopilot features (hands on the wheel and driving the speed limit), I got two quick red alerts (noise and warnings on the front dash display) in a row for attempting to signal and move to the left; why I'm still not sure (no cars nearby). But I thought, well there goes any chance.

But when I got home I had a "100." WTF? So I figured I'd have to wait at least a week, assuming I maintained that "undeserved" 100. Then Wednesday I received the Tesla email and the software update (2021.36.5.3) arrived with the FSD Beta (Version 10.3.1).

What to make of this?
  • Has Tesla eased up on scoring requirements?
  • Or did Tesla just reach a point where it just needed more tester bodies? Maybe I just happen to fit into some desired statistical category (age, gender, location, Tesla driving record--but it's only been since March of this year)?
I don't know. Based on what I read, it sort of seemed analogous to trying to get pregnant. I.e., I just had to relax, stop worrying, and try not to think about it. And then whamo! It happens out of the blue.

Meanwhile, in case you are wondering, having the FSD Beta is both exciting and scary. Clearly it is "not ready for prime time." But at the same time Tesla makes it very clear that it is a beta product undergoing rigorous testing and revision. And it is fascinating. But you have to keep really alert and be ready to take back control at any moment. So ironically, instead of being able to relax and let the car drive, you have to be super attentive and a really careful driver. (I don't know how those previous YouTube videos were made that allegedly show people driving from, say, San Francisco to southern California hands-free. They certainly weren't using any Tesla FSD software released to the public so far.)

So we (11,000?) current testers are I guess providing lots of data that will hopefully help improve the product. And little by little the FSD software should improve. Tonight (Saturday) I received Software Version 2021.36.8.5. I think it includes FSD Version 10.4? (I won't know until I get in the car tomorrow. I thought 10.4 wasn't coming until Sunday night, at the earliest?)

There's something I would like--a way to check on the FSD version from your App (which shows the car software version and the App version, but not the specific FSD version afaik).

PS - I have a 2021 (made December 2020) pre-refresh Model X Long Range+ 5-seater (with the purchased FSD package) acquired new in March (car was inventory from Honolulu); located in California (near Sacramento). Love this car.

This whole FSD Beta thing has been a trying experience.

Like many people, after I was granted the Driving Score process on my phone App I had mostly good scores (days of 100s) but also inexplicably low scores for alleged events (especially on one day) that I did not even notice. So I was down to 96 (or lower), then up to 97, and finally up to 98, where I stayed day after day. Taking longer routes then I would normally do to build up mileage did not work for me; some unknown, invisible (to me) event would invariably occur to keep my score the same or lower. Finally I gave up and started mostly ignoring it.

A week ago Sunday (still with the long-standing "98" score) I went to a movie 20 miles away. On the way back, going through a construction zone on a multi-lane bridge, with the right-hand lane blocked off and concrete barriers eliminating the "shoulders," and while using the Autopilot features (hands on the wheel and driving the speed limit), I got two quick red alerts (noise and warnings on the front dash display) in a row for attempting to signal and move to the left; why I'm still not sure (no cars nearby). But I thought, well there goes any chance.

But when I got home I had a "100." WTF? So I figured I'd have to wait at least a week, assuming I maintained that "undeserved" 100. Then Wednesday I received the Tesla email and the software update (2021.36.5.3) arrived with the FSD Beta (Version 10.3.1).

What to make of this?
  • Has Tesla eased up on scoring requirements?
  • Or did Tesla just reach a point where it just needed more tester bodies? Maybe I just happen to fit into some desired statistical category (age, gender, location, Tesla driving record--but it's only been since March of this year)?
I don't know. Based on what I read, it sort of seemed analogous to trying to get pregnant. I.e., I just had to relax, stop worrying, and try not to think about it. And then whamo! It happens out of the blue.

Meanwhile, in case you are wondering, having the FSD Beta is both exciting and scary. Clearly it is "not ready for prime time." But at the same time Tesla makes it very clear that it is a beta product undergoing rigorous testing and revision. And it is fascinating. But you have to keep really alert and be ready to take back control at any moment. So ironically, instead of being able to relax and let the car drive, you have to be super attentive and a really careful driver. (I don't know how those previous YouTube videos were made that allegedly show people driving from, say, San Francisco to southern California hands-free. They certainly weren't using any Tesla FSD software released to the public so far.)

So we (11,000?) current testers are I guess providing lots of data that will hopefully help improve the product. And little by little the FSD software should improve. Tonight (Saturday) I received Software Version 2021.36.8.5. I think it includes FSD Version 10.4? (I won't know until I get in the car tomorrow. I thought 10.4 wasn't coming until Sunday night, at the earliest?)

There's something I would like--a way to check on the FSD version from your App (which shows the car software version and the App version, but not the specific FSD version afaik).

PS - I have a 2021 (made December 2020) pre-refresh Model X Long Range+ 5-seater (with the purchased FSD package) acquired new in March (car was inventory from Honolulu); located in California (near Sacramento). Love this car.
Did some of your scores begin to drop off after 30 days? Could be why it improved without you having to do anything

while using the Autopilot features [...] I got two quick red alerts (noise and warnings on the front dash display) in a row for attempting to signal and move to the left; why I'm still not sure (no cars nearby) [...]

But when I got home I had a "100." WTF?
None of those things are metrics used by Safety Score. It's all documented here: Safety Score Beta

Maneuvers executed by the autopilot don't count for your score (anecdotally people say there are a few seconds after disengagement where it ignores your recovery too, though I haven't tested). Autopilot self-disengagements don't count, only kickouts due to failed driver nags. And of the various other warnings and alerts, only Forward Collision Warnings, specifically, are tallied.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: pchilds and tps5352
I have been sitting at 96 but the last few days I had some long drives and all hit 99 scores.
Today I see a safety score of 98 on my app and don't want to move it till I get FSD. Hoping
it comes out Sunday but even if it did I we may not all get it that day. My next drive is Monday morning.
Have had a score of 98 for a while. Still waiting for beta

Reactions: toxicmegakittn
Did some of your scores begin to drop off after 30 days? Could be why it improved without you having to do anything

Maybe. Annoyingly, now that I got the Beta package, I think that the test score software disappeared from my App and I can't go back and see the scoring history. (Is that right? I'll check again. Nope, I don't see it.)