Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Safety Score 98 waiting for FSD 10.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole FSD Beta thing has been a trying experience.

Like many people, after I was granted the Driving Score process on my phone App I had mostly good scores (days of 100s) but also inexplicably low scores for alleged events (especially on one day) that I did not even notice. So I was down to 96 (or lower), then up to 97, and finally up to 98, where I stayed day after day. Taking longer routes then I would normally do to build up mileage did not work for me; some unknown, invisible (to me) event would invariably occur to keep my score the same or lower. Finally I gave up and started mostly ignoring it.

A week ago Sunday (still with the long-standing "98" score) I went to a movie 20 miles away. On the way back, going through a construction zone on a multi-lane bridge, with the right-hand lane blocked off and concrete barriers eliminating the "shoulders," and while using the Autopilot features (hands on the wheel and driving the speed limit), I got two quick red alerts (noise and warnings on the front dash display) in a row for attempting to signal and move to the left; why I'm still not sure (no cars nearby). But I thought, well there goes any chance.

But when I got home I had a "100." WTF? So I figured I'd have to wait at least a week, assuming I maintained that "undeserved" 100. Then Wednesday I received the Tesla email and the software update (2021.36.5.3) arrived with the FSD Beta (Version 10.3.1).

What to make of this?
  • Has Tesla eased up on scoring requirements?
  • Or did Tesla just reach a point where it just needed more tester bodies? Maybe I just happen to fit into some desired statistical category (age, gender, location, Tesla driving record--but it's only been since March of this year)?
I don't know. Based on what I read, it sort of seemed analogous to trying to get pregnant. I.e., I just had to relax, stop worrying, and try not to think about it. And then whamo! It happens out of the blue.

Meanwhile, in case you are wondering, having the FSD Beta is both exciting and scary. Clearly it is "not ready for prime time." But at the same time Tesla makes it very clear that it is a beta product undergoing rigorous testing and revision. And it is fascinating. But you have to keep really alert and be ready to take back control at any moment. So ironically, instead of being able to relax and let the car drive, you have to be super attentive and a really careful driver. (I don't know how those previous YouTube videos were made that allegedly show people driving from, say, San Francisco to southern California hands-free. They certainly weren't using any Tesla FSD software released to the public so far.)

So we (11,000?) current testers are I guess providing lots of data that will hopefully help improve the product. And little by little the FSD software should improve. Tonight (Saturday) I received Software Version 2021.36.8.5. I think it includes FSD Version 10.4? (I won't know until I get in the car tomorrow. I thought 10.4 wasn't coming until Sunday night, at the earliest?)

There's something I would like--a way to check on the FSD version from your App (which shows the car software version and the App version, but not the specific FSD version afaik).

PS - I have a 2021 (made December 2020) pre-refresh Model X Long Range+ 5-seater (with the purchased FSD package) acquired new in March (car was inventory from Honolulu); located in California (near Sacramento). Love this car.
Good for you...I am still with 2021.32.22... stuck at 96...after that I figured it out, so 100 for 2 weeks in a row ..score still sit at 96!. Strange.

This whole FSD Beta thing has been a trying experience.

Like many people, after I was granted the Driving Score process on my phone App I had mostly good scores (days of 100s) but also inexplicably low scores for alleged events (especially on one day) that I did not even notice. So I was down to 96 (or lower), then up to 97, and finally up to 98, where I stayed day after day. Taking longer routes then I would normally do to build up mileage did not work for me; some unknown, invisible (to me) event would invariably occur to keep my score the same or lower. Finally I gave up and started mostly ignoring it.

A week ago Sunday (still with the long-standing "98" score) I went to a movie 20 miles away. On the way back, going through a construction zone on a multi-lane bridge, with the right-hand lane blocked off and concrete barriers eliminating the "shoulders," and while using the Autopilot features (hands on the wheel and driving the speed limit), I got two quick red alerts (noise and warnings on the front dash display) in a row for attempting to signal and move to the left; why I'm still not sure (no cars nearby). But I thought, well there goes any chance.

But when I got home I had a "100." WTF? So I figured I'd have to wait at least a week, assuming I maintained that "undeserved" 100. Then Wednesday I received the Tesla email and the software update (2021.36.5.3) arrived with the FSD Beta (Version 10.3.1).

What to make of this?
  • Has Tesla eased up on scoring requirements?
  • Or did Tesla just reach a point where it just needed more tester bodies? Maybe I just happen to fit into some desired statistical category (age, gender, location, Tesla driving record--but it's only been since March of this year)?
I don't know. Based on what I read, it sort of seemed analogous to trying to get pregnant. I.e., I just had to relax, stop worrying, and try not to think about it. And then whamo! It happens out of the blue.

Meanwhile, in case you are wondering, having the FSD Beta is both exciting and scary. Clearly it is "not ready for prime time." But at the same time Tesla makes it very clear that it is a beta product undergoing rigorous testing and revision. And it is fascinating. But you have to keep really alert and be ready to take back control at any moment. So ironically, instead of being able to relax and let the car drive, you have to be super attentive and a really careful driver. (I don't know how those previous YouTube videos were made that allegedly show people driving from, say, San Francisco to southern California hands-free. They certainly weren't using any Tesla FSD software released to the public so far.)

So we (11,000?) current testers are I guess providing lots of data that will hopefully help improve the product. And little by little the FSD software should improve. Tonight (Saturday) I received Software Version 2021.36.8.5. I think it includes FSD Version 10.4? (I won't know until I get in the car tomorrow. I thought 10.4 wasn't coming until Sunday night, at the earliest?)

There's something I would like--a way to check on the FSD version from your App (which shows the car software version and the App version, but not the specific FSD version afaik).

PS - I have a 2021 (made December 2020) pre-refresh Model X Long Range+ 5-seater (with the purchased FSD package) acquired new in March (car was inventory from Honolulu); located in California (near Sacramento). Love this car.
Good for you...still stuck with 2021.32 22.. my score is still sitting at 96. After that I have figured it out to improve the score, so it has been 100 for 12 days now!

The existing rollout is all but done. If you check Teslafi/Teslascope, almost all the 2021.36.5.3 (FSD 10.3.1) vehicles have now been upgraded to 2021.36.8.5. The rate of updates was ~8% per hour this morning and they were pushing them rapidly. Now it's just a trickle. These are the straggler cars whose owners are just now getting around to it.

They'll pull the trigger with the 98's at some point (I'm in that bucket too), but it's not limited by existing updates. There's no one ahead of us in line. They're probably just waiting on an extra validation pass or some kind of executive decision.
If my reading is correct, on teslafi there are 1400 odd current user with 2021.36.8.5 and 1700 plus users still have 2021.36.5. So theses users need to be updated to 2021.36.8.5 before they start rolling to score 98. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Attachments

• 4D3A7EEC-5C0D-462B-9FE4-137CA5136584.jpeg
    4D3A7EEC-5C0D-462B-9FE4-137CA5136584.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 102
Good for you...still stuck with 2021.32 22.. my score is still sitting at 96. After that I have figured it out to improve the score, so it has been 100 for 12 days now!

Hang in there. Sounds to me like you should be getting the download soon(?). Continue to put more safe miles on the vehicle, but don't take any unusual steps. Just drive your usual routes and try not to think about it. The whole thing can quickly get confusing and frustrating. As "investors" (up to $10K) we shouldn't have to be subjected to such rigamarole. But until someone wins a class action suit (and I don't necessarily support that action), it is what it is.

As you might expect I have been trying out FSD as I run my little errands around town. (After surviving the FSD Survivor Show gauntlet, it is probably impossible not to be curious and want to test it once you actually receive FSD.) I've found that what many people are saying online is absolutely true--e.g., extreme caution is needed due to phantom stops, frequent disengagements, and a continuous need for absolute, total attention paid while driving with the FSD on. It is the opposite of relaxing and letting the car take over. You have to be a very attentive and cautious driver. (Hmm. Is this some kind of secret ploy...?)

One thing that surprised me: you know how most of us rail against the typical 25 mph zone? "Who thought of this?" "I can't drive this slow." Blah, blah. But with FSD on I am terrified at 25 mph on average suburban streets. It feels way too fast. I find myself manually lowering the speed to 20 mph or even less. (Yet 65 mph with FSD on is still fine for me on limited-access freeways.)

What this tells me is that as humans we have incredible built-in and trained skills for seeing and reacting to a multitude of visual and auditory clues. Our brains are amazing. But turn that control over to an automaton (robot), and (for me) all the assurance and relaxation disappears. The jiggling steering wheel, uncertainty at intersections (exibited sometimes by the FSD), and the closeness of all kinds of potential road hazards (vehicles, pedestrians, animals, obstructions) lowers my confidence level to zero. Humans, good; robots, not so good. We are going to have to learn to trust robots. Right now, in my new car; it's not happening.

I guess those lengthy hands-free drive videos on YouTube were either (a) faked or (b) performed using some unknown advanced software version (only available to the Tesla employee-testers at that time, and not available to the general public even now). Because there is NO way my Tesla (2021 Model X Long Range +) with the latest FSD Beta software could drive "hands-free" more than 1/4-mile, let alone from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. The first round-about or accumulation of fallen leaves in the street causes my FSD (software version is currently 2021.36.8.5) to disengage. How the heck did that one YouTube guy drive hands-free from the back seat?

But don't get me wrong. I am (cautiously) enjoying the experiment and appreciative that at least Tesla is trying. Whether or not the driving test itself is accurate and fair, I can understand why Tesla felt the need to employ something.

Like in Formula 1 racing, it's probably a "hero or zero" thing. If, in a year or two FSD is greatly improved thanks to the many more tester-miles, we'll all be thankful for this craziness now because our vehicles will have doubled in value. If it doesn't, or if Tesla gets called out and successfully sued for fraud, we'll all be collectively wringing our hands, storming the castle, and demanding Elon's head on a stick.

Welcome to the high-tech world of the 2020s.
Survivor.jpg angry_villagers.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty1 and T3M3T
If my reading is correct, on teslafi there are 1400 odd current user with 2021.36.8.5 and 1700 plus users still have 2021.36.5. So theses users need to be updated to 2021.36.8.5 before they start rolling to score 98. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
2021.36.5.3 is the only FSD Beta 10.3.1 release. The other .35.5 variants are production releases. There are only 36 Teslafi 10.3.1 cars waiting for update.

The Teslascope tracking (of a different set of cars, though it tells the same story) makes this clearer: every 2021.36.8.5 install is an upgrade from .5.3.

Newbie to this Tesla-related app data collection thing.
  • According to my Tesla App (I'm not presently in the car) I have software Version 2021.36.8.5. I drive an early 2021 Model X.

What are software Versions 2021.36.8.6 and, especially, 2021.40? Why don't we all have those? Are they for other model-years?

Hang in there. Sounds to me like you should be getting the download soon(?). Continue to put more safe miles on the vehicle, but don't take any unusual steps. Just drive your usual routes and try not to think about it. The whole thing can quickly get confusing and frustrating. As "investors" (up to $10K) we shouldn't have to be subjected to such rigamarole. But until someone wins a class action suit (and I don't necessarily support that action), it is what it is.

As you might expect I have been trying out FSD as I run my little errands around town. (After surviving the FSD Survivor Show gauntlet, it is probably impossible not to be curious and want to test it once you actually receive FSD.) I've found that what many people are saying online is absolutely true--e.g., extreme caution is needed due to phantom stops, frequent disengagements, and a continuous need for absolute, total attention paid while driving with the FSD on. It is the opposite of relaxing and letting the car take over. You have to be a very attentive and cautious driver. (Hmm. Is this some kind of secret ploy...?)

One thing that surprised me: you know how most of us rail against the typical 25 mph zone? "Who thought of this?" "I can't drive this slow." Blah, blah. But with FSD on I am terrified at 25 mph on average suburban streets. It feels way too fast. I find myself manually lowering the speed to 20 mph or even less. (Yet 65 mph with FSD on is still fine for me on limited-access freeways.)

What this tells me is that as humans we have incredible built-in and trained skills for seeing and reacting to a multitude of visual and auditory clues. Our brains are amazing. But turn that control over to an automaton (robot), and (for me) all the assurance and relaxation disappears. The jiggling steering wheel, uncertainty at intersections (exibited sometimes by the FSD), and the closeness of all kinds of potential road hazards (vehicles, pedestrians, animals, obstructions) lowers my confidence level to zero. Humans, good; robots, not so good. We are going to have to learn to trust robots. Right now, in my new car; it's not happening.

I guess those lengthy hands-free drive videos on YouTube were either (a) faked or (b) performed using some unknown advanced software version (only available to the Tesla employee-testers at that time, and not available to the general public even now). Because there is NO way my Tesla (2021 Model X Long Range +) with the latest FSD Beta software could drive "hands-free" more than 1/4-mile, let alone from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. The first round-about or accumulation of fallen leaves in the street causes my FSD (software version is currently 2021.36.8.5) to disengage. How the heck did that one YouTube guy drive hands-free from the back seat?

But don't get me wrong. I am (cautiously) enjoying the experiment and appreciative that at least Tesla is trying. Whether or not the driving test itself is accurate and fair, I can understand why Tesla felt the need to employ something.

Like in Formula 1 racing, it's probably a "hero or zero" thing. If, in a year or two FSD is greatly improved thanks to the many more tester-miles, we'll all be thankful for this craziness now because our vehicles will have doubled in value. If it doesn't, or if Tesla gets called out and successfully sued for fraud, we'll all be collectively wringing our hands, storming the castle, and demanding Elon's head on a stick.

Welcome to the high-tech world of the 2020s.
Amen!

2021.36.5.3 is the only FSD Beta 10.3.1 release. The other .35.5 variants are production releases. There are only 36 Teslafi 10.3.1 cars waiting for update.

The Teslascope tracking (of a different set of cars, though it tells the same story) makes this clearer: every 2021.36.8.5 install is an upgrade from .5.3.
Thanks for clarification. It make sense to me now.

Newbie to this Tesla-related app data collection thing.
  • According to my Tesla App (I'm not presently in the car) I have software Version 2021.36.8.5. I drive an early 2021 Model X.

What are software Versions 2021.36.8.6 and, especially, 2021.40? Why don't we all have those? Are they for other model-years?
From what I can tell 2022.40 is the latest production release (not FSD beta) and 2021.36.8.6 looks like a new release of 10.4 FSD beta build. It may be that Tesla fixed a few minor issues or that it’s for different configuration of hardware for some cars. The release notes on TeslaFi say 36.8.6 is still 10.4.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Anyone here on 98 with a 2018 Model 3 LR DM ?

I get my regular updates very late & I'm wondering if its the same for other folks who own 2018 models
No one (at least reported by TeslaFi Customers) have received 2021.36.8.5 - 10.4 that did not already have 10.3.1. In the text earlier in this thread Elon said if all goes well for a "few" days they will start to roll out to 98. So if that is accurate I would expect roll out to start today or tomorrow. But will see.

No one (at least reported by TeslaFi Customers) have received 2021.36.8.5 - 10.4 that did not already have 10.3.1. In the text earlier in this thread Elon said if all goes well for a "few" days they will start to roll out to 98. So if that is accurate I would expect roll out to start today or tomorrow. But will see.
Both sites, Teslafi and Teslascope show very little activity today, even for 10.3.1 users. Teslafi shows 36 10.3.1 users still need update, it started day with 37. So I think today is slow rollout day.