Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Safety Score 98 waiting for FSD 10.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really enjoy driving my car, as in, it's not driving; I am. So I find it interesting that there are so many people who are so eager to get FSD so they won't have to drive. I live away from any large cities, so that any time I go almost anywhere it's a 50 mile one-way drive. My route has lots of curvy one lane roads and FSD always seems to have problems, so I just don't use it. TACC does what I want. It just follows the car in front nicely, and if that car turns off, then I'm on cruise doing the speed limit -- or maybe a few mph over. I don't want the car to drive itself, especially since there are several holes in the road that don't get patched right away, and I can dodge them, whereas FSD doesn't notice them at all and hits them with a bang. FSD isn't that advanced yet.
Fewer people have been to the grocery store in a fully autonomous car than have been to the moon at this point. It's kind of like participating in a little piece of human history and being able to say "I helped" that makes it cool for me. I like to drive too though!!

Fewer people have been to the grocery store in a fully autonomous car than have been to the moon at this point. It's kind of like participating in a little piece of human history and being able to say "I helped" that makes it cool for me. I like to drive too though!!

Please make sure when you enter your grocery store ....to announce loudly, that you come in peace for all Mankind

🤣

Was hoping new 99/100 people would get it sooner, since people last week were getting it every few days or so. Sounds like someone just said, "No new people period" regardless of score.
It does indeed seem like there's a blanket hold on new rollouts. The push to existing beta enrollees is basically finished (just a tiny number of stragglers finally getting to their cars to do the update now). There's nothing external on which they're waiting. They could pull the trigger any time they want.

So is the beta ever going to actually be better then most people any time soon? I guess guys with scores of 40 have no hope of getting a software that will make them safer. Ironic.

Until a week ago I was just like many of the commenters on this Thread: an FSD purchaser anxious to get the full FSD-Beta download and railing against the unfairness of it all. I still want everyone who bought or subscribed to FSD to get a full, safe FSD package asap. However,...
  • This software is buggy (Is that the correct word?) and very preliminary, the opposite of relaxing, and "safer" only in that you have to pay complete and total attention while using it every second. (Imagine finally sucumbing to family pressure and grudgingly letting a favorite nephew, who you love but is at times an untrustworthy, teenage doofus, drive your 1959 Corvette convertible with you in the passenger's seat. It's not going to be a relaxing ride.)
  • I've found the experience nothing like those (Phony?) "I drove my Tesla from Columbus to Atlanta hands-free" YouTube videos.
  • In my car (March 2021 Model X) FSD 10.4 disengages constantly and unexpectedly, is flummoxed by fairly commonplace road situations (e.g., roundabouts and fallen leaves in the street), and is generally frightening on even low-speed surface streets. (I quickly grew to like Autopilot with the previously limited FSD-beta functions on limited-access highways; and so far FSD-Beta 10.4 is still fine on freeways.)
What am I trying to say? Now that I've experienced the full FSD Beta package, I can better understand Tesla's hesitancy to release it too soon to a wide audience. Furthermore, I'm now thinking, "Why did you release this, at this stage of development, to me (i.e., anyone who is not a professional driver)?"

I think this is the best argument I've heard for wanting the FSD beta package right now. As we know, FSD is a badly misnamed and far from fully autonomous software. (Still Level 2 out of 5?) But I applaud Tesla's efforts, and the drivers who want to help.

So don't want it to drive hands-free to the grocery store (you can't) or impress your neighbors (^%*# them!). Want it because this is an important point in automotive history and you can (and will) play a small part.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyTables
I, for one, welcome our new Autonomous Vehicle overlords. Also, just hit 99 yesterday after very careful driving for the last month, which is quite difficult in the NYC metro, let me tell you.

Good job! Yes, I could see reaching 99 to be very tough in NYC, and especially Boston! :)

Last edited:
It does indeed seem like there's a blanket hold on new rollouts. The push to existing beta enrollees is basically finished (just a tiny number of stragglers finally getting to their cars to do the update now). There's nothing external on which they're waiting. They could pull the trigger any time they want.
I don’t know when tehet will pull the trigger. I heard 10.4 is no batter than 10.3 or have more phantom breaking issues. So wait for Musk uncle shoot a tweet

Until a week ago I was just like many of the commenters on this Thread: an FSD purchaser anxious to get the full FSD-Beta download and railing against the unfairness of it all. I still want everyone who bought or subscribed to FSD to get a full, safe FSD package asap. However,...
  • This software is buggy (Is that the correct word?) and very preliminary, the opposite of relaxing, and "safer" only in that you have to pay complete and total attention while using it every second. (Imagine finally sucumbing to family pressure and grudgingly letting a favorite nephew, who you love but is at times an untrustworthy, teenage doofus, drive your 1959 Corvette convertible with you in the passenger's seat. It's not going to be a relaxing ride.)
  • I've found the experience nothing like those (Phony?) "I drove my Tesla from Columbus to Atlanta hands-free" YouTube videos.
  • In my car (March 2021 Model X) FSD 10.4 disengages constantly and unexpectedly, is flummoxed by fairly commonplace road situations (e.g., roundabouts and fallen leaves in the street), and is generally frightening on even low-speed surface streets. (I quickly grew to like Autopilot with the previously limited FSD-beta functions on limited-access highways; and so far FSD-Beta 10.4 is still fine on freeways.)
What am I trying to say? Now that I've experienced the full FSD Beta package, I can better understand Tesla's hesitancy to release it too soon to a wide audience. Furthermore, I'm now thinking, "Why did you release this, at this stage of development, to me (i.e., anyone who is not a professional driver)?"

I think this is the best argument I've heard for wanting the FSD beta package right now. As we know, FSD is a badly misnamed and far from fully autonomous software. (Still Level 2 out of 5?) But I applaud Tesla's efforts, and the drivers who want to help.

So don't want it to drive hands-free to the grocery store (you can't) or impress your neighbors (^%*# them!). Want it because this is an important point in automotive history and you can (and will) play a small part.
I will have to disagree with you on a few of your points. 1) "Phony?" - i have watched a lot of Youtube videos and not one says "hands-free". They do say no disengagements in some of them but most videos show it failing and pretty accurate. I have lots of issues but I have had maybe a couple drives with no disengagement. I appreciate the Youtubers putting out the videos. They have helped me before getting FSD Beta. 2) "grew to like Autopilot" - you can still do that by NOT putting in a NAV Destination but now it will stop at stop signs and red lights and not require the ok to continue. But will not do most lane changes unless at a dead end where it will turn right (all that i have seen). 3) You say you want all that purchased to have "safe FSD package asap" but it appears you are saying but NO ONE (even you) should have FSD Beta unless a professional driver. I have seen this a number of times that once someone gets FSD Beta they test and say but don't let anyone else have it since it is not ready but at the same time it would be so easy for you to simply OPT OUT but somehow I bet you decided that you should just keep it? Too bad that rest of the people with SS 98,97,96... are not allowed to have it. Anyway, I did get 10.3.1 when I got to SS 99. I think those that are allowed to have the option of using it might be in a location that works well for them or in a location that it doesn't. Most know the difference then to put themselves and family and a very expensive car at risk when they are not able to control the car.

Downloading now (36.8.5) .... had a 99 last Friday. Anyone 98'ers getting it?

There are many more Pending Installs of 36.8.5 and 36.8.6 than there are 36.5.3 Current Installs. So must be cleaning up the outstanding 100's and 99's. Maybe it won't be long for us 98'ers!

From TeslaFi:
1636594706802.png