Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Service Center Visits Have You Made?

How Many Visits to Service Center?

• None

Votes: 28 30.4%

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • 2-3

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Greater than 3

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair question kendall.

The reason is to see if the factory as of late (probably could have gone 90 days), is putting out any better (or worse) quality control. I had to pick a slot for newer cars, as the early ones had noted issues.

I realize it's not scientific (very few things are), but I am floored by how many people have to go back to the dealer after purchase. Which begs the question, why aren't they catching these things at the factory, which then leads me to wonder if the quality control is really that great in Fremont.

This isn't Tesla negativity--I've paid the $113k admission price, so think I have the right to ask questions.

From my own perspective, I've never had a car go back to the dealer after purchase (at least not within even the first year), curious if most people had there newer (2012 and greater) ICE cars back in the shop so many times and so soon after purchase (Range Rover doesn't count LOL :biggrin:).

Anyways, as you said not scientific, and I'm just as invested (stock holder too) as other owners in seeing this company blow away the competition. Just like any business, there might be room for improvement--in this case QC.

Tex,

I for one appreciate your posts. I do think you need to not get too stressed out reading the posts. I think you can work yourself into a tizzy and I don't think it's fair to Tesla until/unless you have a problem. But still, as a guy that does a lot of consulting, I appreciate a balanced mix of posts of people that are positive as well as negative within reason.

It doesn't do any good to just hear posts raving about how great everything is. It is clear to me that there are many people that have to take their car to the service center to address at least some issue after buying. So I think your posts are valid but I wouldn't get too stressed until you get the car.

Yep, as you read from the other thread, I'm one of those guys that had to take my car in for service for a few items including having to get my entire hood repainting due to chips. But if it's any consolation I really feel like the build quality is better on the newer models coming out now. This loaner doesn't feel as powerful and a bit sluggish compared to my new car. Also, 5.0 is far superior vs. 4.5. I didn't have any problems at all with it.

The older P85 loaner I got is also much louder. The sunroof noise is much louder, it's louder when the AC is on. So I do think Tesla is learning and continuing to refine the car based on complaints and service bulletins. However, I agree with your basic premise that Freemont needs to do a better job of quality control. Also, I do think the service centers need to do a better inspection once they take delivery of them to make sure everything is ok.

The reason is to see if the factory as of late (probably could have gone 90 days), is putting out any better (or worse) quality control. I had to pick a slot for newer cars, as the early ones had noted issues.

Right, I figured that; actually, I was trying to remember if something momentous happens specifically 4 months ago. I understand picking an arbitrary time, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something extra. Thanks.

I put 2-3, BUT they were not really do to quality.

Once was because I wanted to check out the service center and in the area
Once because of service bulletins (went there for something else and they did the service bulletins)
Once because my window cracked (probably a stone or something).

I agree it should have reason because it could really easily skew the results. Even for service it kind of skews the results, routine service, get something checked out, or some extentuating circumstance. Maybe someone decided for ford 3 ft of water, and had electrical issues, or ran over the parking barrier, or managed to hack the computer to try to put youtube on it and can't correct it

If you want to consider service and recalls, I probably visited the dealership with my last car for routine stuff and to fix the gas pedal during the first few months that I had my other car. It doesn't add value if you don't know the reason.

If I said I went to the dealership for my Toyota 6 times a year, what does that tell you? It says nothing, I get my oil changed every 5 K miles, also get the brakes replaced every 30 K miles (once a year).

I have not had any quality issues with my Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
I'm confused, I went to a Tesla service centre for a test drive. Do I put 1? This is a confusing poll... It doesn't specifically ask for a purpose...

It clearly states for service related matters--test drive is that service--no. Pretty simple question. Just don't answer if it's too confusing for you.

(Strictly quality or service related issues--things that are wrong with the car)

It clearly states for service related matters--test drive is that service--no. Pretty simple question. Just don't answer if it's too confusing for you.

(Strictly quality or service related issues--things that are wrong with the car)

Hmm, apologies then. I've already answered it.

Did not see the statements in the first post or other posts, I usually just read the words that are in the poll itself. I wasn't posting from a computer screen so the poll was the only thing i saw at first - that and the thread title which had no details either... So yea... Sorry if it messes up your results. Maybe you could try to edit the title or the poll question.. That would be helpful if you're looking for a specific reason.. This was pretty ambiguous.

Hmm, apologies then. I've already answered it.

Did not see the statements in the first post or other posts, I usually just read the words that are in the poll itself. I wasn't posting from a computer screen so the poll was the only thing i saw at first - that and the thread title which had no details either... So yea... Sorry if it messes up your results. Maybe you could try to edit the title or the poll question.. That would be helpful if you're looking for a specific reason.. This was pretty ambiguous.

Thank you for your participation. It's not a scientific poll.

It is interesting to see though how many people have to go back so soon after purchase. Wonder what industry average is--hope not 60%.

Three deliveries and just now (on the last car) have had to schedule a Ranger visit to handle an AC compressor against the frame noise issue. The Ranger visit had a three week lead which is not a problem for my wife. The noise stinks but is livable. This level of initial quality far exceeds my experience with multiple Five and Seven Series BMWs over the last thirty years.

This poll doesn't support 60%, just reading through the various posts. Twinklejet posted as having visited a service center, bradc, dan5, etc.

Perhaps if it had been worded "how many quality problems have you had requiring either a service center visit or a ranger visit", you'd get a more precise answer. And to keep from biasing the poll, perhaps leaving out the lead in of "So there seems to be some 'quality' questions going around on newer Model S coming out of Fremont.' Because that's what you're trying to prove, not a question that is being bantered around.

This poll doesn't support 60%, just reading through the various posts. Twinklejet posted as having visited a service center, bradc, dan5, etc.

Perhaps if it had been worded "how many quality problems have you had requiring either a service center visit or a ranger visit", you'd get a more precise answer. And to keep from biasing the poll, perhaps leaving out the lead in of "So there seems to be some 'quality' questions going around on newer Model S coming out of Fremont.' Because that's what you're trying to prove, not a question that is being bantered around.

Thank you Bonnie, but again I like my poll.

Can't make everyone happy.

I'm not happy or unhappy. Just pointing out that you're not getting the data you said you wanted by the way it's worded. Hopefully some news org doesn't pick this up and conclude the wrong thing because they don't read through the posts. That would be a shame.

Thank you Bonnie, but again I like my poll.

Can't make everyone happy.

I agree with bonnie. If your goal is to find out how many serious issues the newer cars rolling off the line maybe since spring then you won't get it the way it is worded. Even if it were perfectly worded, you're only getting a sample of the people who are on TMC and out of that small number, those that answer polls. Someone more like (expanding on what bonnie wrote)

For people with VINs above 10,000 how many quality problems have you had requiring either a service center visit or a ranger visit?

- - - Updated - - -

The way it is worded, my annual service visit coming up would count. I know you've qualified what you meant since the poll was posted but not everyone who votes is going to read every single comment.

Whoops, ignore one of the "1" replies. I forgot about the 4-month criteria, and had to go in yesterday for a minor issue...remembered this thread and voted. Sorry, I left my brain somewhere else today. ;-( Not trying to skew the results!

Now after reading the updated first post and the thread details, I can tell you that I voted incorrectly, but there is no way to remove my "1" vote. The first post still needs work and the title should clearly call out "...for build quality reasons" plus any other conditions such as delivery window - many folks aren't going to read the details. I believe you also need to remove the first sentence as it seems you have a point to prove vs. an unbiased poll.

My suggestion would be to remove this thread and replace it with one which has a much better chance of obtaining an accurate response (at least from the audience that visits this site, and considering you have no way to confirm the legitimacy of the voters).

Last edited: