TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many speeding tickets since getting your Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ribsandbbqbeef, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ribsandbbqbeef

Just curious, but how many have gotten speeding tickets since getting their S? And how many tickets so far? With such a quiet car, it's not surprising that many may overaccelerate slightly without noticing =) Any interesting stories?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Shockingly, zero in almost a year...knock on wood.
    I'm not a super fast driver, but I certainly exceed the posted limits daily.

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Zero for me. I play the energy game so not surprising. I rarely speed. Check out the thread called "Pulled Over Driving Model S" for lots of fun stories.

4. Velo1

Velo1 Member

Zero, but not for lack of trying :biggrin:

5. walla2

walla2 Member

I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."

6. Liz G

Liz G P03056

None. A couple of years of driving taxi to get myself thru college made me really good at cop spotting.

7. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Zero. Surprisingly.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

None. Knock on wood, and many other substances. I try not to speed more than anyone else does, but I do tend to accelerate quickly.

One advantage of Tesla is there's no "sound and fury" when you punch it. Cops tend to focus on the sound, because normal cars make lots of it when you're being stupid...

9. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

Zero for me as well, which is moderately unusual. I agree that the lack of sound is helpful, especially when passing.

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I've only gotten a couple of speeding tickets over the years--one was just a couple of years ago!--but none since I got the S. Which is, frankly, astounding. I'm starting to feel like I'm living on borrowed time; it's such a smooth, quiet ride, and I'm such an impatient, guy, I speed more than I should. I've started paying a bit more attention to that. Really, the acceleration is the amazing thing (any car can drive high speeds), so I'm trying to accelerate more, but speed less. ;-) Whether this'll work....

11. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

None so far in 10,000 miles.

12. shark

shark Member

1...while in a white Camry hybrid (had to leave the MS at home for a short 500 mile trip).

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Did you invite him to a dragstrip (or some other legal location)? Those numbers are close to Tesla's official numbers. I'd kind of like to see that video. Especially if that Caprice has police markings.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good point. In the "things you had to get used to when switching to a Tesla", there's no "idiot warning" like in my previous cars.

14. dirkhh

That's the reason why I said "surprisingly" about my "zero tickets". Even after more than 6000 miles in my Tesla the lack of audio feedback to suddenly being way north of the speed limit keeps catching me off guard.
    I love that about the car. And I'm surprised that I haven't paid the price for it, yet. But my "typical" freeway speed in the Tesla is definitely higher than it was in my BMW.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I really wish we had adaptive cruise. It's way too easy to accidentally exceed your planned speed when using your foot.

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I had enough speeding tickets for everyone on this forum by the time I was 18... straight, flat FL roads , an old school muscle car along with a serious competitive streak and a desire to prove girls can race cars too were more than the local cops could ignore.

Zero in my Tesla. I feel invincible, but I'm working on lowering my lifetime average wh/mi so I think those days are behind me. Most of the time (I'm also trying to act like a grownup).

17. rekoh

rekoh Member

2 since March. I think I win....

18. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Are you sure that doesn't mean you lose:wink:

19. Liz G

Liz G P03056

If you'd like I could teach you how to spot cops.

20. dirkhh

I'll take lessons... Just in case...