Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many speeding tickets since getting your Model S?

Oct 12, 2013
North America
Just curious, but how many have gotten speeding tickets since getting their S? And how many tickets so far? With such a quiet car, it's not surprising that many may overaccelerate slightly without noticing =) Any interesting stories?

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
Zero for me. I play the energy game so not surprising. I rarely speed. Check out the thread called "Pulled Over Driving Model S" for lots of fun stories.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
None. Knock on wood, and many other substances. I try not to speed more than anyone else does, but I do tend to accelerate quickly.

One advantage of Tesla is there's no "sound and fury" when you punch it. Cops tend to focus on the sound, because normal cars make lots of it when you're being stupid...

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
I've only gotten a couple of speeding tickets over the years--one was just a couple of years ago!--but none since I got the S. Which is, frankly, astounding. I'm starting to feel like I'm living on borrowed time; it's such a smooth, quiet ride, and I'm such an impatient, guy, I speed more than I should. I've started paying a bit more attention to that. Really, the acceleration is the amazing thing (any car can drive high speeds), so I'm trying to accelerate more, but speed less. ;-) Whether this'll work....

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."
Did you invite him to a dragstrip (or some other legal location)? Those numbers are close to Tesla's official numbers. I'd kind of like to see that video. Especially if that Caprice has police markings.

- - - Updated - - -

because normal cars make lots of it when you're being stupid...
This is a good point. In the "things you had to get used to when switching to a Tesla", there's no "idiot warning" like in my previous cars.

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
This is a good point. In the "things you had to get used to when switching to a Tesla", there's no "idiot warning" like in my previous cars.
That's the reason why I said "surprisingly" about my "zero tickets". Even after more than 6000 miles in my Tesla the lack of audio feedback to suddenly being way north of the speed limit keeps catching me off guard.
I love that about the car. And I'm surprised that I haven't paid the price for it, yet. But my "typical" freeway speed in the Tesla is definitely higher than it was in my BMW.

Btrflyl8e

MSLR, W/W 21s FSD 1145 EDD 11/22-28 VIN MF454
Supporting Member
Mar 24, 2013
Seminole, FL
I had enough speeding tickets for everyone on this forum by the time I was 18... straight, flat FL roads , an old school muscle car along with a serious competitive streak and a desire to prove girls can race cars too were more than the local cops could ignore.

Zero in my Tesla. I feel invincible, but I'm working on lowering my lifetime average wh/mi so I think those days are behind me. Most of the time (I'm also trying to act like a grownup).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC