Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many speeding tickets since getting your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, the way most folks drive today would have counted as an exhibition of speed in the 1960s. You would either have to be really blatant about it or else the policeman would have to be having a really bad day for you to actually get a ticket.

Agree, Point is everyone breaks the law, intentionally or not. If an officer wants to give you a ticket, they can find somthing.

The officer said fully police loaded it was over 6200 lbs. No reason not to believe him. The rest of the details were from GM and the interwebs not from the Tesla website.

Maybe you should clarify what units you're referring "0-60 in 4.3". Because if it's miles-per-hour and seconds, then I need your sources for that, because my research shows it only goes 0-60 mph in 5-6 seconds, not 4.3. Plus they don't even list the 0-60 time on gmfleet, only the 130 mpg speed limit.

This source says >6 seconds for the V8: 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV - Top Speed
This source says 5.7 seconds for the 2012 V8: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...e_charger_pursuit_vs_ford_police_interceptor/
An early test version says 5.9 seconds: Production Ready 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan Photo Illustrations and Specs RoadandTrack.com - Road & Trackhttp://www.autoscruze.com/chevrolet-caprice-ppv-2014/
Another 5.9: Chevrolet Caprice PPV – 2014

Still don't see "4.3" seconds anywhere. Where did you get your numbers? Are we even talking about the same car?

Wait...found the 0-60 time of the V8 Caprice!
http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared_Resources/PDFs/GM%20Caprice.pdf
http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared_Resources/PDFs/Police%20Charts.pdf
They both say 5.91 seconds...I'm still wondering where you got your 4.3 number from.

Last edited:
130HP - Mazda Protege5 = 4 tickets (1 was BS, "Enlarged exhaust", in reality it was a factory upgraded exhaust, it came with the car)
306HP - Genesis coupe = 0 Tickets, 1 photo radar (these are not real tickets), going 63kph less than 10 meters from a 70 zone, putting a camera there will not save any lives nor will it reducing speeding since people have to speed UP TO 70.
416HP - Tesla Model S = 0 Tickets

i generally go the speed that is "appropriate"

some roads here are so poorly setup, there is one stretch of road, divided lanes, 3-4 km long, NO TURN OFFS, dual lane each way, but its 50KPH, you can safely go 100kph as the road is dead flat, you can see the end.

One--so far. I'm going to just budget for them. :)

Handed me the ticket and then asked how many horsepower the car had. Then told me getting his Charger R/T was the worst thing he ever did. Gotta love it.

IMG_1718.JPG

Maybe you should clarify what units you're referring "0-60 in 4.3".

To clarify, the officer said the 4.3 number and over 6200 lbs. He did say he had the 2014 Caprice with a "Corvette" engine upgrade which would make it far more powerful than a standard PPV with a V6 or V8. I looked at the PPV site and had V8 data and thought no problem. He may have actually been faster with a higher speed limit than standard too, but we didn't talk about that, and I don't see info on the upgrade anywhere.

If I get pulled over again (hope not), I'll ask him for you.

A person engages in an exhibition of speed when he or she accelerates or drives at a rate of speed that is dangerous and unsafe in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.
I don't do it when it's unsafe (only when road conditions permit); and I do it because people routinely tailgate on pretty much every street, and I'm trying to create a larger stopping distance behind me. Which means I'm not actually trying to show off or impress.

Took my MS85 in for a few punch list items, they gave me a P85 as a loaner. On my return trip home, ~30miles, the following happened...

Cresting an overpass of a limited access, 8 lane divided highway, I entered the revenue enhancing "45mph zone"... cruising at 63mph (and being passed by everything) I notice the sheriff on the right shoulder with his head crouched to his right shoulder keying the mike of his radio, his entire being following me as I go by with all he knows about motorized manufacturers, trying to identify my stealthy steed. A few seconds later I see the squad of Harley Sheriffs listening to their radios and not paying attention to my stealth missile of speeding ticket allusiveness going by... A little bit past the Harley squad I make an right turn into Jason's Deli and allude lining the pockets of the county while picking up lunch for the wife and me.

I love driving the P85, but know I'd be without a DL if I had bought it.

Last edited:
I must have significant luck, I have driven 15 mph over the speed limit on the highway for the past 30 years. I've had one ticket in the past 20 and that was a speed camera in South Carolina on 95 (clocked me at 83mph). Did get a warning about 4 years ago in VA on the way to OBX, was doing 13mph over in the VA Beach area.

My everyday driving habits are the same in the S but long distance road trip speeds have dropped. I need to make the 200 miles between SCs and that requires much lower speeds. It feels strange getting passed so much but it's also much more relaxing.

Had one ticket so far doing 45 in a 30... That would have been 4 points on my license and years of insurance surcharges. I hired a lawyer who got it knocked down to zero points and a "parking on pavement" violation with a $175 fine.

The funny thing is that I had until today to go in and pay the fine. If it weren't for seeing this thread yesterday, there's a good chance I would have forgotten to pay it on time! (It's been a busy month).