TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many Tesla Model S's go to the Gilroy Supercharger per day/week/month to charge?

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Benz, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Benz

Benz Active Member

At the annual shareholder meeting in June 2013, Elon Musk mentioned that the Gilroy Supercharger location is a very busy Supercharger location, as many people go there for charging their Tesla Model S.

Is there anybody who has more information about that?

2. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

#2 wraithnot, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    I'm sure others have visited the Gilroy chargers more often than I have, but I've made eight stops starting in early March up through a couple of weeks ago. All the bays were full at some point during five of the eight stops and I had to wait for a stall three times. At one point there was a total of eight cars there- four charging and four waiting. Someone else posted a video from that day, but I think there was only seven cars when he took the video: Full House at Gilroy May 11, 2013 - YouTube

I imagine usage is highest around 10 am to 6 pm on weekends, but all the spots were full at one point when I stopped on Friday a bit before noon. And one of the times I had to wait for a bay, all the other cars left soon after I started charging and then I had the place all to myself. Basically usage is a bit sporadic, but the place can definitely get jammed up during weekends.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Well I was at the meeting, and left when it was over and headed south. In spite of Elon's warning when I arrived a Gilroy, I was the only one there. I needed about 30 minutes, and only one other car arrived while I was charging, and he was not from the shareholders meeting. The two times I have used Gilroy, I arrived as the only one there. I have seen pictures, however, with people waiting.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

#4 tdiggity, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    How many Tesla Model S's go to the Gilroy Supercharger per day/week/month to ...

It's particularly busy on the weekends. I think there's a few things going in:

- people shopping at the outlets
    - people doing weekend trips
    - on a path that some people commute to work

Hawthorne would be just as crowded if there were more interesting things around. But luckily there's nothing near the Hawthorne SC like there is at Gilroy.

5. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

#5 SFOTurtle, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    Anyone have an update on expansion of Gilroy SC? Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question.

Edit: Good news - construction is well under way for the new bays at Gilroy. I will post pictures I took last night.