TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How many Tesla S and X in Japan?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ecarfan, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Tesla owners in Japan! I live in California, but currently my wife and I are in Kyoto for 3 weeks and having a wonderful time in your beautiful country. Naturally I've been watching for EVs when I'm riding buses or walking the streets. So far I've only seen about 4 Nissan Leafs, 1 i3, and to my great surprise, one white Model X in the northwest area of Kyoto.

We were sitting in the back row of a Kyoto City Bus going east on a two lane city street when a white X approached in the oncoming lane. I was so surprised I shouted to my wife "Look an X!". We both turned to watch it pass us and stared out the back window of the bus. The Japanese lady sitting next to me decided that my outburst meant we had missed a bus stop, so speaking in Japanese she kindly indicated to me the button to push to tell the driver to be sure and stop at the next place. I thanked her but was unable to explain what we had been reacting to. At the next stop, when we did not rise from our seats, she tried to tell us that this was the stop, and all I could do was thank her, shake my head, and stay seated. I hope she didn't think I had lost my mind.

I'm wondering how many Teslas have been sold in Japan so far? It is a very big car by Japanese standards, not well suited for narrow city streets and small garages, and of course quite expensive, so I don't expect that a lot have been sold here.

Do you think that the Model 3 will sell in much greater numbers because it is somewhat smaller and far less expensive? It still seems like a large car compared to most of the cars I see here.d

• Like x 1
  2. miimura

miimura Active Member

According to EV Sales: Japan there were about 200 Model S sold in 2016 and January through March, 2017, 80 more Model S and 90 Model X.

Prius PHV is now the king of plug-ins in Japan with about 6,000 in 1Q-2017 vs. 4,700 Leafs.