TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many Teslas are in the Bay Area ?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by dmode, Jul 12, 2017.

1. dmode

dmode Member

Is there any way to find this information ? Just for curiosity. I have a 25 mile one way work commute from Peninsula to East Bay and probably see 25-30 Teslas on the road every day. That is crazy to me, but I still feel that the market here is not saturated yet.

2. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

#3 Haxster, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Only Tesla knows for sure. I would say "thousands".

5. dmode

dmode Member

6. wdolson

That survey is from 2014. Sounds about right for back then.

When looking I came across 2016 data for this county and there were 121 Teslas registered here the end of the month I bought my car. I'm sure it's a lot more now. I see at least one whenever I go into Vancouver.

7. mattym

mattym Member

I would guess a majority seem to be located around Palo Alto or in the tri-valley...last Friday morning I had a good laugh as the Club Sport in Pleasanton had 9 in the lot at the same time!

8. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

My carpool at my tech company complained when I had a black Tesla that literally every 3rd car that pulls up was a black Tesla, so they kept looking like creeps trying to get into strangers' cars XD

When I got a new Tesla this year, I got a blue one. I asked them today if there's any improvement: "No. Get a funny license plate"

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

LOL... :) I know the feeling here...

Jeff

10. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

I think Toronto has even more. it's unbelievable the amount of Teslas I see in Toronto and Montreal.
    Montreal has the largest dealership in North America and I believe the largest SC station as well with 12 stalls!

11. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Prior to CA implementing income restictions in 2016, the Clean Vehicle Rebate website had decent data, if you assumed all Tesla owners in CA applied for the rebate. Using Bay Area counties as a filter, there are at least 6,665 Tesla's on the road. (rebate recipients) Since the income restriction was effective March 26, 2016, there is a chunk of Teslas missing. CVRP Rebate Statistics

• Informative x 1
  12. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

On the Bryant onramp to eastbound I80 today which admittedly is a HOV access in the late afternoon, out of 40 cars there were 2 model S's and 2 Model X's in addition to my Model X. 5/40 ain't bad. ;)

• Like x 1
  13. wdolson

The new Arlington, WA installation has 16 stalls, and I believe Barstow, CA has been recently expanded to 16.

14. dmode

dmode Member

@NikeWings Thanks for posting that link. I think that website provides the closes estimate to number of Teslas. I filtered by Marin, SF, San Mateo. Santa Clara, Alameda, and Contra Costa and number came down to ~12,000. Assuming many folks didn't bother applying for the rebate and then the income criteria, I would say the actual number is between 15-18,000.

There is no way Toronto has more Teslas than Bay Area, home of Tesla. According to this link (Electric Vehicle Sales in Canada: 2016 Final Update) total Teslas sold in Canada between 2014 and 2016 is ~4000. Sales in Toronto will be a portion of that. Btw, just the Dublin supercharger in the Bay Area (1 of 4) has 14 stalls and always has a 4-5 car deep line.

15. dmode

dmode Member

The new Kettleman City supercharger location will have 40 stalls. There is a discussion thread here: 40-stall Supercharger planned for Kettleman City

16. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Appreciate the correction @dmode .... I'm not too familiar with the counties up there, and obviously missed a big one. Also, I'm not sure if the Roadsters are captured so another bump to the number may be technically warranted.

17. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

The parking lot at old job in a relatively small building in SF had around 8 Teslas, including mine. I see at least 5-10 every drive I take, even as short as driving to the BART station 5 miles away. There are so many here.

18. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I was at Lowes a few Sundays ago. There were 10 Teslas in the parking lot and one parked on each side of mine by the time I finished shopping.