Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many times has your car been in service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3P on last summer and now that has been in SC about 11 times.
First some panel gaps fixes, then fixing problems which they made after panel gap (windows wasn't tight), replacement of seals, Octovalve problems because I live in cold environment, etc. Now there is some noise on back seat, Octovalve still not working properly and right side window list is loose.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
We have an S and a 3, both 2018, and neither one has been to the service center to fix problems. The 3 had its 12V battery replaced by a mobile ranger. My previous 2016 S required a couple of service visits to address different hardware issues (defective camera and defective driver side outside mirror). All the cars have been to the service center for routine maintenance, HW3 upgrades, recalls, and in one case, tire replacement after getting a flat.

For actual mechanical issues? Zero. I had 4 service visits trying to get the rear spoiler put on properly (early model 3 performance didnt actually even have those on them even though they "came with it"). I had 1 visit to proactively replace my 12v battery.

nothing other than that, but I do need to get the recall done for the wiring harness in the trunk, and the upper control arms.

For actual mechanical issues? Zero. I had 4 service visits trying to get the rear spoiler put on properly (early model 3 performance didnt actually even have those on them even though they "came with it"). I had 1 visit to proactively replace my 12v battery.

nothing other than that, but I do need to get the recall done for the wiring harness in the trunk, and the upper control arms.
Ditto... On both my Teslas, I have fortunately never needed to take them in for issues. The oldest one is an early 2017 MX with 80K miles. Mobile service came out to replace the battery last year, and they upgraded me to HW3, but that's it.

Reactions: M109Rider
I had a problem develop with the camera on the front left fender on my M3LR about 3 weeks after picking it up. It just stopped working. Mobile service came and fixed it in less than 15 minutes. That was 17 months ago. It's been perfect since. Then, last September, I noticed that a gap had developed between the interior plastic trim on the driver's side B pillar and the pillar itself. I could actually see some wiring in the gap. I had a choice of waiting a few weeks for mobile service or taking it in the next day. I took it in the next day. It was fixed in 30 minutes and there hasn't been a problem since. Of the dozen or more cars I've bought new over the years my M3 has been as good or better than all of them when it comes to service problems. The worst was my first new car, a Chevy Chevette in 1978. The second worst was a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought in 2002. Constant headaches on both of them. I've never bought a GM car since the Chevette or a Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat (or whoever the hell makes them now) since. I will buy another Tesla eventually.

Too many times.
  1. MCU died with less than 200 miles on the odometer.
  2. Rear roof glass stress fracture.
  3. Driver's side door handle fell apart (A gear fell off somewhere into the door panel).
  4. Charge port door failed.
  5. 12 volt battery failed around 5000 miles on the odometer.
  6. Rear axle bolts started making a clicking noise.
  7. Parking brake seized up on one side, and an associated "body controller module" had to be replaced.
  8. Service center failed to set the car config properly when I got the HW2.5 to HW3 retrofit for FSD, so I had to take it to another service center for resolution.
  9. Driver's seat material delaminated (blisters, blisters everywhere) on the outer lower bolster, and service center denied a warranty fix. It looks terrible, and somehow an OEM material failure is not something they were willing to fix.
My warranty is up next year, so I'm hoping that anything else that wants to break, does so before next year!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
M3 LR AWD. 51k miles. I've had
1.) the windshield replaced due to a rock hit.
2.) new tires at around 40k miles (along with rotation about every 10k miles)
3.) three windshield wiper sets replaced
4.) flat tire repaired
5.) something like 40 car washes.
That's it.

June 21 MYP, it's been in service two times. Once for TPMS error and second for a rear squeak which necessitated an over night stay where they replaced the subframe. Was given a brand new M3 SR+ loaner, still had temp tags. It was all pretty painless.

2018 Model 3 1.0 Yr, 10K miles, 1 Visits (Stress Crack in rear glass). Got Model S Loaner for the day
2019 Model X 2.5 Yr, 26K miles, 0 Visits (I did adjust a Window myself though)
2022 Model S 0.1 Yr, 0.5K miles, 0 Visits (no issues since delivery)

2018 LR AWD,

1. A SC stay for a cracked rear windshield, manufacturer defect, no charge.
2. Mobile service, replaced hw2.5 with hw3.0 for fsd.
3. Mobile service, replaced 12v battery, one month after 3 year anniversary, no charge.
Tech also put sealant on front upper control arms.
4. Mobile service, replaced mid-aero shield due to hitting something during a really rainy drive, no charge, goodwill.
5. Costco, first set of replacement tires, CrossClimate 2. I like them, though a little less energy efficient than OEM Michelin.

A bit of trivia.

There are two SC in the Houston area, I picked up my 2018 in the first location and had my one SC visit in the second. They are about equally as far away from me 24 and 21 miles respectively.

There is a third new SC near completion that is about 6 miles from me. I will be servicing my car out of this location, unless service is bad. Further, this SC was originally a Gander Mountain facility that had closed and sat dormant for many years. It's next life was to be a multilevel sports facility, but was stillborn due to the coof epidemic. So here we are, a old building repurposed to be of use again, and of benefit for me. Happy Happy Joy Joy. 🙂

I got my M3P on last summer and now that has been in SC about 11 times.
First some panel gaps fixes, then fixing problems which they made after panel gap (windows wasn't tight), replacement of seals, Octovalve problems because I live in cold environment, etc. Now there is some noise on back seat, Octovalve still not working properly and right side window list is loose.

My 2018 M3P has never been in for anything.

Just one issue (rear window wouldn’t auto up or down, but still worked).

They came to me.

Did two updates while he was here.

By the way, I would not have asked them to fix panel gaps, unless perhaps they were atrocious, which I doubt they were. Notice that it caused more problems. That was a likely outcome.

I’m an automotive Engineer. Pretty picky. Especially when purchasing a $70,000 vehicle. Which I had never done previously. I once bought a new BMW M3. It was “only” $45,000.

$70K is a *lot* of money for me.

I found no fit and finish issues on mine when I purchased it.

When I took delivery of my 3 this March, it had a fairly large gap problem with the driver's door. The trailing edge is larger than the leading edge. I had them make a note of it but I'm debating having them fix it for fear they will screw up other things in the process...
I probably wouldn’t mess with it, for the reason you mention. It’s a judgement call, though.

So do you mean that the gaps are straight (not a “V-gap” or an “A-gap” but the door is just shifted forward of perfect?

That might be fixable without messing up other things, but I still might not do it, unless it drives you crazy every time you enter the car…..

I’m old enough to remember when panel gaps were huge, and often not straight.

Mercedes was the first Company to really tighten them up, in about 1986, when they released a new e-Class. That was a really, really fine car, Engineering-wise.

Other car Companies bought one, and said “that’s amazing. How did they do it?”

Now fits are way, way better.

Keep in mind that you don’t always want two panels to be flush. There is usually less wind noise if the panel that’s to the rear of the other one is slightly low (inboard, in most cases).

The same is true for sunroofs, for the same reason.

Reactions: rpiotro
Too many times.
  1. MCU died with less than 200 miles on the odometer.
  2. Rear roof glass stress fracture.
  3. Driver's side door handle fell apart (A gear fell off somewhere into the door panel).
  4. Charge port door failed.
  5. 12 volt battery failed around 5000 miles on the odometer.
  6. Rear axle bolts started making a clicking noise.
  7. Parking brake seized up on one side, and an associated "body controller module" had to be replaced.
  8. Service center failed to set the car config properly when I got the HW2.5 to HW3 retrofit for FSD, so I had to take it to another service center for resolution.
  9. Driver's seat material delaminated (blisters, blisters everywhere) on the outer lower bolster, and service center denied a warranty fix. It looks terrible, and somehow an OEM material failure is not something they were willing to fix.
My warranty is up next year, so I'm hoping that anything else that wants to break, does so before next year!
Oh my.

The odds of all of that happening must be astronomical.

I’m sorry you had to go through that.

In the old days we would say that you got “a Friday car.”

Took delivery last August. It has been to the service center once. A buzzy rattle from the rear deck and the frunk lid did not sit correctly. It would also leak a little water into the frunk if I went through one of those high pressure toucheless washes. Both issues were fixed to my satisfaction.

That is all.

Only once and it's 2 months old. They refused to fix the horns and the rear passenger door alignment because I modified the wiring to add a frunk light. The wiring has nothing to do with either and the horns are not accessible from the frunk.
They said verbally I had to return the wiring to stock before they would touch anything.

I filed a compaint with the attorney general for violating the Moss Magnuson warranty act. I also bought 2 aftermarket hella horns and plan on replacing the broken horns myself. I might take it to a body shop and have the door fixed. And then go pay $25 or so and file a small court claim against Tesla. I doubt they would show up and it would be a default win.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Only once and it's 2 months old. They refused to fix the horns and the rear passenger door alignment because I modified the wiring to add a frunk light. The wiring has nothing to do with either and the horns are not accessible from the frunk.
They said verbally I had to return the wiring to stock before they would touch anything.

I filed a compaint with the attorney general for violating the Moss Magnuson warranty act. I also bought 2 aftermarket hella horns and plan on replacing the broken horns myself. I might take it to a body shop and have the door fixed. And then go pay $25 or so and file a small court claim against Tesla. I doubt they would show up and it would be a default win.
I would never modify the wire harness. My recommendation is to not modify the car, especially while it is under warranty. It can void the warranty. That’s apparently what happened in this case.

Have you sued car manufacturers previously?

Reactions: Shelburne