Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many times have there been sales on AP/FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit silly that AP is still thousands of dollars on a car that is supposed to be ahead of everyone in every way...

But it costs $650 on a Nissan :rolleyes:

Long-Term 2018 Nissan Leaf: Electric Autonomy—Putting Nissan’s Pro Pilot Assist to the Test

"Nissan’s ProPilot Assist is part of a technology package that cost just $650 on our long-term Leaf."

Basically waiting until Tesla comes to their senses and catches up with the times. I'll go as high as $1000 for something that costs them literally 0 dollars to enable - it is pure profit at this point.

I will bet this happens in the next few months.
Catch up with the times? Tesla is still charging $1500 for white paint.

I find it funny that Everyone always cites consumer reports articles about Tesla having the best customer service and whatever else, but conveniently ignores the fact that they don't rank Tesla AP as the best.

It's a bit silly that AP is still thousands of dollars on a car that is supposed to be ahead of everyone in every way...

But it costs $650 on a Nissan :rolleyes:

Long-Term 2018 Nissan Leaf: Electric Autonomy—Putting Nissan’s Pro Pilot Assist to the Test

"Nissan’s ProPilot Assist is part of a technology package that cost just $650 on our long-term Leaf."

Basically waiting until Tesla comes to their senses and catches up with the times. I'll go as high as $1000 for something that costs them literally 0 dollars to enable - it is pure profit at this point.

I will bet this happens in the next few months.

-------------
I agree. I won't pay more than $1000 for AP.
I've already paid the same price for my car as today's buyer does for his and he gets AP for free.

Only part of your statement is true. Yes, I agree there is no hardware change, no service center appointment require for them to enable AP for potential Tesla owner. They can flip a switch, click on a button on a browser, etc.

But I wouldn't necessary call it pure profit, because the AP software doesn't come out of thin air. They have to hire engineers to develop that software, and continue to put those said engineers on their payroll so they can improve on it.

We all love the software updates from Tesla, but they costs money.

Depends how you look at it, but I look at it as pure profit. Tesla has a fixed cost to develop the software regardless of who buys it. By flipping the switch to activate AP Tesla has just made 3k, 8k, or 10k depending on what/when people activate. It cost no more activate that car, and their fixed costs have stayed the same = 100% profit.

Reactions: YisSerL
Paid $5000 for AP with car in Nov '18. FSD was not an option at purchase time.
After delivery FSD was available to add on for $4000, then for about 2 weeks or so in March it was $2000 and then increased to $5000. I have regrets not adding it at $2000. If it never drops close to that price again I'll just never buy it.

AlexM3 said:

But I wouldn't necessary call it pure profit, because the AP software doesn't come out of thin air. They have to hire engineers to develop that software, and continue to put those said engineers on their payroll so they can improve on it.

You are describing fixed cost of hiring and staffing R&D department.
The marginal cost of distributing a given feature to the next customer is pretty close to $0.00 (well, there is some OTA data transmission cost that Tesla pays to AT&T). Same as the marginal cost of allowing another internet download of a software package to the next customer.

Having said that, no company in its right mind would actually charge $0.00 for it's software, so there has to be a reasonable price corresponding to the value proposition.

The (hilariously misnamed) FSD pack is priced at $5K before delivery, $7K afterwards.
Obviously, it's not compelling to many buyers. Not for what it offers today.

We all love the software updates from Tesla, but they costs money.

True.
The question is - how much money is FSD worth to you?

Navigate on Autopilot remains the only semi-intriguing feature of FSD to me, but hardly worth anything north of $1-2K.
Everything else is fluff, or vaporware.

a

Reactions: Big-T
upload_2019-4-25_19-52-20.png

Elon Musk on Twitter