Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many traffic tickets have you got since getting an m3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So search cars by plates when looking for contraband? That is a terrible way to do it. You're saying that a guy with Ca plates is not likely to be carrying something he easily could have bought when out of state.
But you are right. We saw them waved thru all the time. We were definitely treated as unwelcome.

Got my license in 1968 and have never gotten a ticket for a moving violation nor ever been in an accident. Hard to do driving around Boston. Chill mode does help though along with a lot of luck:)
My rule of thumb is never be the fastest person in the passing lane. So if the fastest cars are driving at 70 I'll go maybe 68 and if the fastest drivers are going 85 I'm going low 80's.
And never drive fast at night because you cannot tell if a police car is behind you. If you want to drive fast do it on secondary roads that you're familiar with and where you can see far ahead of you.

So there is plenty of discussion about the P3D and whether one would want to move from the RWD to P3D. I wondered how many people actually get to enjoy the P3D. Aren't you concerned about getting a ticket. I moved here to the East coast from LA and the speed limits are insanely low everywhere and there seems to be cops out all over the place. I got pulled over on my first day here about 5 minutes from leaving my new apartment and again one from a camera in DC (never knew they had fixed cameras and I was just following traffic flow). I now just drive with autopilot on set at the incredibly low speed limit to prevent me being tempted to give it some juice. I just live for short 0-30 or 0-55 bursts when hitting on ramps which is kind of lame. Do P3D owners all have radar detectors and how effective are they? Getting points on your license here sucks too compared to Cali where you can get your first ticket wiped away by doing traffic school.

Got my first speeding ticket in 20+ years after only a week with our TM3 (AWD LR). Doing 80 in a 65, but he wrote it for 70. And then got stopped and warned for doing 54 in a 45. In my defense...nah, no defense. I was speeding. Since then I’ve been much more careful about using cruise control and setting reasonable limites. On-ramps are the only place I really punch it now.

Not that I was prone to getting ticketed before, but nothing yet. I tend to confine my excessive speed to off-street venues. I use EAP nearly all the time on the road. This helps greatly keep a lid on most excessive speed. Outside of divided highway that means max 5MPH over. On divided highways it means speed of travel is a much more deliberate, conscious choice. As well I find with the speedometer in a more readable location and form (sorry, tiny needle in the steering wheel hole) my speed of travel is far more obvious. This all appears able to offset the accessibly of acceleration on my Model 3 D.

Eventually will get a ticket for lack of a front license plate but this I've made my peace with already.

None.

We don't drive anymore.

Not really in a sense of having an open road and a chance to hit it.

Instead there is always someone in the way. That tendency combined with using TACC all the time makes it unlikely that I'll get a ticket unless it was bad luck/timing.

Probably the most likely ticket for me would be a display of speed ticket because a cop might not like my idea of making stop lights more efficient.

Well, you can't get a moving violation for accelerating too fast as long as your tires aren't breaking loose. And Tesla's electronic driver aids take care of tires breaking loose so I have a lot of fun "ejecting" my P3D away from stop lights. I used to cringe when the light was turning yellow, now I embrace that yellow means "stop" because it means I will be in pole position with empty road ahead.

You just have to get good at knowing when to let off on the accelerator. 1/2 second delay can be a serious speeding ticket.:D

I've gotten 6 warnings, one for drag racing. Beat loud Mustang 3 times. He drew the attention, but i won.
It's fun. I just pull the old grandpa line. Officer, i didnt see the sign, i just keeping up with traffic.
DC area is pure hell on speeders. Period, i lived there 20 yrs.
Its great down here. Very little enforement, and mostly on junkers, not expensive cars.
I go over 100 weekly on 95 going to Jax. We learn the areas they enforce here, and slow down.

Is the WA law written that way or is that just the rule of thumb that you expect gets used? "Display of acceleration" type laws are notorious for allowing subjective BS by LEO. :(

Washington law doesn't have any laws regarding "Display of acceleration", the closest you might get is a subset of reckless driving, a prohibition against racing on public roads, regardless of whether the speed is excessive. But that would involve a contest between one or more cars, if no contest existed (because you simply felt like accelerating hard) there would be no infraction. I suppose you could get in trouble if the car next to you decided to see how his car measured up to the Tesla but that would be a stretch if you are simply accelerating hard, not breaking traction and not exceeding a safe speed and had no communication with the other driver. Of course, all it would take is a wink or a nod (or the LEO's assumption that there was a wink or a nod).

If you are next to a driver in another car that thinks they are fast, make sure you stop accelerating at the speed limit. If you're in a P3D, it's pretty much a given that you will likely be ahead at that point and the other driver will not be able to resist keeping his/her foot into the pedal to "catch up". At that point, I think I know who the LEO is going after.:D

I try not to find myself in that situation, generally, I'm just leaving everyone else back at the intersection as if they were standing still. Because typically they are. The Tesla doesn't give out loud audible clues that it's "time to go" so it's not unusual that the cars behind/beside you just sit there, stunned at what they just witnessed. Because that kind of acceleration is not something they are programmed to think is within the realm of reality. If it made a big ICE racket, like high-performance ICE engines tend to do, that would be the clue they needed that they weren't dreaming, lacking that, they are left wondering if they just saw what they think they saw. People are mostly in a mental fog anyway.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Well, you can't get a moving violation for accelerating too fast as long as your tires aren't breaking loose. And Tesla's electronic driver aids take care of tires breaking loose so I have a lot of fun "ejecting" my P3D away from stop lights. I used to cringe when the light was turning yellow, now I embrace that yellow means "stop" because it means I will be in pole position with empty road ahead.

You just have to get good at knowing when to let off on the accelerator. 1/2 second delay can be a serious speeding ticket.:D

Many years ago I got pulled over for a display of speed in an Audi S4 after pulling away from a stop light quickly.

The cop had no idea what speed I hit, but mostly talked about how he couldn't keep up with my acceleration. I didn't see him as it was an SUV cop, and I failed to notice. In that car I typically took off fast because the bi-turbo's sounded so awesome when they spooled up. So say I was addicted to it is putting it lightly.

Back then I was really good at apologizing. I did the whole deal where you put the registration, license, insurance info on the dash and then you simply admit fault and apologize. I didn't argue about whether there even was a display of speed law or not. I got off with a warning so I can't say if there was display of speed law back then in WA state, or not. All I know is I got pulled over for it.

In WA state you do have to be pretty careful with it because cops can interpret it as racing. So when I do take off fast I tend to delay it for a half second or two where I take off normally, and then punch it. Plus the P3D+ doesn't seem to have a great amount of IMMEDIATE power anyways. In fact the 70D Model S I had seemed to have more initial kick. The P3D+ seems more delayed, but greater once it hits.

I found this line of Lamborghinis (there were about 10 or more) and a few Nissan GTRs in front of me on a small mountain road in NY. I wasn't going to race them but I could certainly keep up with their bursts of acceleration. Nobody was going especially fast though I think they were waiting for an opportunity to race as they kept stopping and blocking both lanes. In the end they all pulled over in a line and I passed them by, decided on icy roads it was best to steer clear of them. Still a fun sight.
20190113_184418.jpg

Back to the original Q&A...

Zero tickets in 6+ years using Waze (Trapster back then) and a hardwired V1 in my STi. Hasn't changed since owning a P3D and following the same recipe.

Knock on wood I guess but these 2 are a pretty fool-proof combination since cops are beat both from a distance and a social perspective.

For anyone trying to hardwire your detector to the rear view, I opted for a MirrorMount ($39) instead of a BlendMount ($99) and it works like a charm. A.f.a. hardwire install, it's super easy to tap into vcleft using the video tutorial from ingineerix.

When you are using waze, do you keep glancing at your phone to get a heads up of cops ahead? I tried it but it was too distracting having to keep checking it.. too bad we can't see it on the big screen! I am new to waze, is there a way to get an audible warning or readout of issues like cops ahead?

When you are using waze, do you keep glancing at your phone... too bad we can't see it on the big screen! I am new to waze, is there a way to get an audible warning or readout of issues like cops ahead?

Nope, don't need to look at my phone and there sure is a way to get it on the big screen. Search TMC for more info but here's the URL you want to favorite on your 3s browser: https ://teslawaze.azurewebsites.net/

Not as feature rich as the mobile version but it does the minimum (speed traps, accidents, objects in road, traffic, etc.). Only thing I'm not a fan of is it only displays North up... otherwise it's pretty good.

You can get audible alerts (for mobile) in Options. From the Waze main screen, tap the search icon in the bottom left, then the settings cog in the top left, then tap Alerts & Reports under Driving Preferences.

Nope, don't need to look at my phone and there sure is a way to get it on the big screen. Search TMC for more info but here's the URL you want to favorite on your 3s browser: https ://teslawaze.azurewebsites.net/

Not as feature rich as the mobile version but it does the minimum (speed traps, accidents, objects in road, traffic, etc.). Only thing I'm not a fan of is it only displays North up... otherwise it's pretty good.

You can get audible alerts (for mobile) in Options. From the Waze main screen, tap the search icon in the bottom left, then the settings cog in the top left, then tap Alerts & Reports under Driving Preferences.
This is great info, thank you.
Now when will Waze introduce fuel type of electric and show charging stations...

This is great info, thank you.
Now when will Waze introduce fuel type of electric and show charging stations...

Youre welcome. You might want to check the app store for a Waze update as 'Electric' has been an option for a while. I beleive public charging stations are on the fearure list soon but I personally would keep using the SC locator in navigation since its Tesla specific.

20190117_153717.png