Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many watts does A/C use? here's your answer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I let my S charge to its selected percentage and then opened my energy monitor to verify there wasn't any more power being pulled from the grid

upload_2016-7-14_11-36-12.png

upload_2016-7-14_11-38-3.png

The Tesla breakers are pulling about 0.016Ax2 (2 breakers) = 0.032A or 32mAh which seems to be the wall connector and its LEDs

At this point in FL inside of my garage it is 94F, I turned on auto condition to Lo which sets the A/C to max
upload_2016-7-14_11-41-21.png

Right off the bat the car starts to use 2.4kW.

Once the temperature inside the car reaches the temp I set it to (which happens to be 60F) the power use drastically goes down to 661w.

upload_2016-7-14_11-45-30.png

When winter comes around to FL i'll update this power consumption for the heat, keep in mind it won't get cold enough for the battery heater to come on.

Remember your a/c will use what it needs. This Florida garage while not moving it needs 600W to maintain 60 degrees. That has very little to do with driving in the sun. Obviously solar gain is a big one but even heat from the batteries/drivetrain, heat from the warm bodies in the cabin, and air leakage from the outside as the car moves along at 60 mph.

So interesting info, but don't extrapolate to the real world.

Now do the same thing with 3 people in the car and sitting in noon sun. That helps with 2 of the 4 variables.

Remember your a/c will use what it needs. This Florida garage while not moving it needs 600W to maintain 60 degrees. That has very little to do with driving in the sun. Obviously solar gain is a big one but even heat from the batteries/drivetrain, heat from the warm bodies in the cabin, and air leakage from the outside as the car moves along at 60 mph.

So interesting info, but don't extrapolate to the real world.

Now do the same thing with 3 people in the car and sitting in noon sun. That helps with 2 of the 4 variables.

That can be done, give me a few days. Also the whole while the car moves you need less power is only because while the car is moving air is flowing through the condenser so the condenser fan doesn't have to run. Back when I was a mechanic we used to spray water on the condenser to simulate driving speeds, a typical condenser fan motor has a 40A relay so at the worst without taking apart the frunk to figure out the amperage draw of the fan you could add 40A to these number and get a rough estimate for driving.