Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many ways to turn off traction control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Slip Start Tesla’s only way to turn off Traction Control? Or can it also be switched off in track mode? If both modes are available, are they mutually exclusive?

I used Slip Start in heavy snow but am not sure whether it was totally defeating any stability control intervention from the computer.

Only Ps have track mode, so on LRs and SRs, only slip mode would do. However, it only works at very slow speeds, for what I remember reading. I haven't seen any 'T/C off' 'button' anywhere, so guess it's not possible. A RWD-only mode would be great too :).

First, it's not a good idea to turn off TC on powerful car like that. Second, slip start only makes low speed TC allowance. Even Track Mode can't completely turn off TC. You can disconnect wheel speed sensors, but with that you're going to lose as well steering booster and many other useful things. Dyno mode is limited in what it allows you to do with a car, so it's not fit for driving anymore.

Thanks all for your comments, but I believe they contain some misinformation:

1. Slip Start does not only work on slow speeds. I use it regularly on speeds above 30mph, and it stays put until I leave the car or turn it off. Then it resets.

2. My 2021 M3 Performance does not have the dyno mode option, as far as I can tell, because the screen no longer features the Tesla "T" logo, which was needed to activate it.

So can I get some info how to (partially) disengage traction control in track mode?
Thanks, C.

1. Slip Start does not only work on slow speeds. I use it regularly on speeds above 30mph, and it stays put until I leave the car or turn it off. Then it resets.

2. My 2021 M3 Performance does not have the dyno mode option, as far as I can tell, because the screen no longer features the Tesla "T" logo, which was needed to activate it.

So can I get some info how to (partially) disengage traction control in track mode?
Thanks, C.

As said before I'm pretty sure tesla removed dyno mode after that moron turned it on and posted a video of himself crashing.

The only thing you can do in track mode is set it to -10, with the slider but it's still not completely off.

Thanks, C.
Both are wrong. Slip mode is not disengaged, it's just does nothing in speed above really low. Dyno mode is not removed despite absence of logo in the same place (we used it just today for testing on the dyno).

There used to be aftermarket ways of disabling TC, SC, etc and other nannies via Model 3 Unlocked (long depricated Android app, since removed from the app store and no longer compatible with recent Tesla software builds), plus there was also a glitch involving changing the wheel/tire configuration and resets on old Tesla software.

As others have said, not recommended at all with a car that is as heavy as the a Model 3/Y and which has the torque ouput of even just a RWD models.

Screenshot_20210217-183919_Google Play Store.jpg Screenshot_20210217-183912_Google Play Store.jpg

Dyno mode still works but disengages when you turn the steering wheel. i1Tesla has a Youtube video where he tries it out.
Slip start will only change the traction control to accept that the wheels slip ever so slightly. It's not a free slip mode. It has nothing to do with the stability program that stays fully engaged. You cannot use slip start to drift corners on snow, I've tried it and I'm disappointed. Stability continues to prevent the car from rotating with the back sliding. As soon as you turn the steering wheel, a lot of power is cut back. Therefore, slip start really is only useful to get out of a snow bank.

Track mode gives the user control over the level of traction and stability controls. Unfortunately only available on performance models.

Apart from MPP, Ingenext also sell a box that can disable some of the controls. As with MPP, use at your own risk.

Reactions: Sam1
Dyno mode still works but disengages when you turn the steering wheel. i1Tesla has a Youtube video where he tries it out.
Slip start will only change the traction control to accept that the wheels slip ever so slightly. It's not a free slip mode. It has nothing to do with the stability program that stays fully engaged. You cannot use slip start to drift corners on snow, I've tried it and I'm disappointed. Stability continues to prevent the car from rotating with the back sliding. As soon as you turn the steering wheel, a lot of power is cut back. Therefore, slip start really is only useful to get out of a snow bank.

Track mode gives the user control over the level of traction and stability controls. Unfortunately only available on performance models.

Apart from MPP, Ingenext also sell a box that can disable some of the controls. As with MPP, use at your own risk.

I have the Ingenext Bonus Module installed in my 2021 SR+ which comes with "Drift" mode which disables stability and traction control while maintaining steering booster and ABS. Took my car to an empty parking lot last week after recent snowfall to do a bit of sleding, I mean sliding :). Real easy to put car in a donut with wheel cranked and about half throttle. Would definitely not recommend on public roads especially in adverse weather conditions.

The PartyBox from MPP is more appropriate for the track as it simulates Performance track mode by disabling stability control and only remaps traction control to allow limited wheel slip at higher speeds.

Reactions: MoreAgain
Does disabling TC completely even make sense for EVs? I’m not sure the car has a controllable “natural” character like ICE vehicles. Maybe not without a real LSD? Otherwise wouldn’t the inside wheel coming out of a corner have the tendency to rocket up to 130 mph? Among other odd behaviors.

I don’t know. I’m mainly speculating. I imagine eventually the standard will be a motor at every wheel, in which case disabling all forms of TC would result in some really weird and unpredictable handling.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Does disabling TC completely even make sense for EVs? I’m not sure the car has a controllable “natural” character like ICE vehicles. Maybe not without a real LSD? Otherwise wouldn’t the inside wheel coming out of a corner have the tendency to rocket up to 130 mph? Among other odd behaviors.

I don’t know. I’m mainly speculating. I imagine eventually the standard will be a motor at every wheel, in which case disabling all forms of TC would result in some really weird and unpredictable handling.
This is true - with open diff and 2 motors losing traction on a single wheel means instantly destructive wheel hop. So if you treat e-diff as a part of TC, you can't let people turn it off completely.

Also it's about social responsibility - you let people turn off TC and you end up with way more dead and injured people. You can't morally ignore that as a manufacturer. Luckily for us, humans, they don't ignore that and yet allow some TC tuning in Track Mode of performance version. This is smart approach since it's higher chance of having experienced driver among more expensive performance version. Also track mode makes car so inconvenient on a street that its minimizing chance of usage on the street.

Track mode allows to do uncontrolled multi-turn spin oversteer from standing still on a dry surface. How much more you want TC to be off?

Reactions: tm1v2
The nice thing about the partybox over track mode is that, in addition to reducing traction control to allow wheel slip, it also turns vehicle stability control (VSC) completely off. VSC is what restricts power when you're coming out of a turn, which to me is the most annoying nanny function.

The nice thing about the partybox over track mode is that, in addition to reducing traction control to allow wheel slip, it also turns vehicle stability control (VSC) completely off. VSC is what restricts power when you're coming out of a turn, which to me is the most annoying nanny function.
That's very debatable whether party box is capable to get more power vs track mode. I'd like to see any proof and logical explanation.

In -10 what I can see is that it's only doing active differential job - that is not a power restriction, but power distribution. Without it you have less power transfer to the road.

I assume if you install Quaife differentials it will do this job better than e-diff.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
That's very debatable whether party box is capable to get more power vs track mode. I'd like to see any proof and logical explanation.

Good point. I've only used PB on a RWD, which I've just traded in for a performance. I've only heard from others that TM still robs some power out of the corner, but haven't tried it on track myself yet. I'm interested to see the difference and will be installing the PB on my P and testing it against TM at Buttonwillow in a couple weeks. Will mainly be a gut-feel test, but I'll have the scan my tesla data to review afterwards.