Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.

I was hoping to be blown away. Some of the features I thought were really interesting like the power back up that can power your house up to 3 days. Sounds great. I was a little underwhelmed with the range and even the towing specs. The high end models are 300 miles or range which is nothing crazy. I do think it looks great because I have always loved the F-150 look and the power frunk looked great also. However right now I don't see me dropping my Cybertruck reservation for the F-150 with those specs. But I do love the fact that the market is getting a little more crowded.

How sound before others add the truck 'PowerWall'?

rEs02RB.jpg

IMO, if Ford is calling it a Lightning, it’ll need to pay homage to the previous 2 generations; has to be fast and handle (umm, handle well for a truck).

If the Mach E is any indication, my guess is the Lightning will be a practical, typical, electric F150. However, if it does perform well, I may be swayed from my CT reservation.
Price is tempting. Specs are inline with the dual motor CT I have in reserve. Considering a comparably equipped model is probably the XLT at ~$45k (after federal incentives), I'd still rather go $5k more for a CT.

I did buy more Ford stock though. 😁

Hope you guys don't ever plan to tow with your F150-Lightning.

150 miles with the highest end Lightning and I'm already traumatized just thinking of arranging charging for it.
You'll be even more traumatized charging at a maximum of 150 kW (according to what I've read). I'm guessing that's about 90 minutes to charge to 100%. The availability of 250 kW charging on the Tesla alone makes it a no-brainer, particularly at roughly the same price point. :)

You'll be even more traumatized charging at a maximum of 150 kW (according to what I've read). I'm guessing that's about 90 minutes to charge to 100%. The availability of 250 kW charging on the Tesla alone makes it a no-brainer, particularly at roughly the same price point. :)
So you think that 250 kW will be any diff than the TM3 as an example. It is a short duration and drops to below 150 kW ;-)

img-2021-tesla-model-3-lr-awd-v3-sc-dcfc-power-20210512.png

Via: Tesla Model 3 LR Vs Hyundai Ioniq 5: Fast Charging Comparison

Ford F150 Pros:
.Big frunk: 14.1 cubic feet, 400 pound capacity
.Motorized frunk: can be controlled by the app
.House power backup (setup with Sunrun)
.Plentiful outlets: Frunk: 4x 120V20A, 1x USB-C, 1x USB-C, Cab: 2x 120V20A,(and others not listed such as cigarette lighter outlet...), Bed: 4x 120V20A, 1x240V
.$7,500 Federal Tax Credit is still available for Ford EV

Ford F150 Cons:
.Range of 300 miles is still 200 miles short of CyberTruck (500 miles)
.150kW Fast DC while CyberTruck is 250 Fast DC
.non-Ford Fast DC chargers while Tesla has its own Tesla Superchargers

I am very much tempted to get Ford because there are more pros than cons.

If I were budgeted to get the base model, I’d go with the f150 lightening over the cybertruck as it comes with AWD standard and 300 miles vs cybertruck 250.

But on the top end, I’d definitely go cybertruck 500 miles vs 300.

One thing I really like about Ford’s EV marketing is the fact that they advertise real world range as opposed to Tesla’s perfect scenario range where you need to be on a flat road, optimal temp doing 68 mph max.

Hope you guys don't ever plan to tow with your F150-Lightning.

150 miles with the highest end Lightning and I'm already traumatized just thinking of arranging charging for it.

This 👆🏼

I tow a boat 2X a year ~ 260 miles each way. There are 3 Superchargers on the route but none have a way for me to pull a truck+boat into charge without being "that guy" who blocks all of the other chargers. So to me regardless of range you have to have a way that someone towing can charge en route. I could unhook the boat near the chargers, charge, then re-attach but what a hassle. I hope the charging infrastructure (Tesla + 3rd party) starts thinking through this as I would love to ditch my ICE truck for a EV one.

If I were budgeted to get the base model, I’d go with the f150 lightening over the cybertruck as it comes with AWD standard and 300 miles vs cybertruck 250.

But on the top end, I’d definitely go cybertruck 500 miles vs 300.

One thing I really like about Ford’s EV marketing is the fact that they advertise real world range as opposed to Tesla’s perfect scenario range where you need to be on a flat road, optimal temp doing 68 mph max.

Thought the base Ford has a range of 250

Definitely thinking of buying one. I have a Model Y and initially wanted to replace it with a CyberTruck later. After issues with the Model Y delivery, quality control, and all the false promises on self-driving, the F150 is *very* tempting. It's a truck that seems simple, has a huge frunk and seems to have the F150 quality.

I do not want to rush it and order now. If the build quality and range are as expected, will switch my CyberTruck reservation to the F150. Some features seem amazing (your car can charge your home!), the existing F150 trucks are great and I hope the range and quality of the car will be delivered without any issue.