Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another feature from Ford Lightning that I wish Tesla would have designed: Spare tire!!!!

Photo: Detroit News (paywall)
486a0ec9-aaeb-4e07-9626-b0cd8c376281-FordF150Lightning_chassis.jpg

I placed a reservation for a lightning. It’s unlikely I’ll end up with it but why not for $100. The Rivian R1S is the most likely replacement for my model 3.

An EV Ford Expedition would be ideal for a family of 5 plus a dog. The model X isn’t big enough (I’ve driven multiple so don’t try to convince me otherwise) and the CT is a little too over the top for me/my wife.

Owners have already been paying thousands of dollars for installing a Tesla HPWC so if it costs a few thousand for Sunrun to do the same but with the additional feature of powering the house from the Ford truck then it's quite reasonable.

Some people just don't want to pay for solar, and Tesla doesn't allow Powerwall without solar, so Ford/Sunrun is a perfect niche for the next Texas blackout.
Seems a bit gimmicky, honestly the whole V2G scenario is as far as I'm concerned. You're going to need a transfer switch, a sub-panel with whatever breakers you want to power in the event of the outage and likely an inverter unless the vehicle charger provides that function. All that for 40A (2-pole) peak capacity, so you're not going to be running your whole house, maybe HVAC, hot water and key appliances. Meanwhile, you're putting miles on your battery and you're draining range you may need if the outage lasts long enough that you have to leave. If anything, the on-board power outlets would be an easier solution to power the fridge and a space heater/fan. Two common objections to EVs are battery degradation and fear of being stranded in a power outage and this just exacerbates both.

Seems like a solid vehicle though, hopefully the dealerships treat it right.

...If anything, the on-board power outlets would be an easier solution to power the fridge and a space heater/fan...
Agreed. It's cheaper and easier just to plug into the existing 10 120V 20A outlets or 1 240V outlet from the Lightning truck.

However, some may want to pay for the convenience. I assume the technology is the same as described by Electrek on the Wallbox Quasar that costs $4,000:

"Part of what Quasar does is take the inverter out of the car and puts it on the wall. That means that a Harley Davidson Livewire, for instance, which charges only at level 1 AC overnight or Level 3 at DC chargers, can fully charge at your home in about an hour."

...You're going to need a transfer switch, a sub-panel with whatever breakers you want to power in the event of the outage and likely an inverter unless the vehicle charger provides that function. All that for 40A (2-pole) peak capacity, so you're not going to be running your whole house, maybe HVAC, hot water and key appliances...
That's no different than those who bought 1 Tesla powerwall that has only about 13.9 kWh while Ford can power 30 kWh for 3 days or a total of 90 kWh. Longer if the residence rations the kWh usage.

...Meanwhile, you're putting miles on your battery...
Yes. It's wears and tears so the warranty is important. Ford has not specified how long owners can abuse it for multipurpose to the maximum.

...and you're draining range you may need if the outage lasts long enough that you have to leave...
An owner just needs to prioritize what's more important. Ford promises to automate the app so the driver can specify the minimum reserved level so that the car won't deplete the use for the house prior to a trip such as a 50-mile trip...

Two common objections to EVs are battery degradation
We'll need to see what's the Ford warranty will be to make an informed decision on its wear and tear.
...fear of being stranded in a power outage...
That can happen and at least, 151 people did die in the Texas power outage.

Owners have already been paying thousands of dollars for installing a Tesla HPWC so if it costs a few thousand for Sunrun to do the same but with the additional feature of powering the house from the Ford truck then it's quite reasonable.

I am in the process of installing PV at my home with a SunnyBoy SMA inverter that has a 2 kW AC output I can use if the grid goes down but the PV array is generating. If that type of functionality ever became common, I can imagine a 3rd party product that has a J1772 on one end and a connection to either a gateway or the inverter itself. The PV array could feed the car battery, or the car battery could feed the house when the PV is inadequate.

Reactions: SmartElectric
FYI the Elon sez claim was 500k cars in 2018, not 2020. Tesla puts pedal to the metal, 500,000 cars planned in 2018
He was also quoted in the article
Musk also said a 2020 volume target was close to 1 million vehicles.
That looks to be coming true late this year, at least as a run rate.

People like to troll Musk's optimism, but compared to the hordes of 'experts' who are sure his goals will never be accomplished, Musk wins the prognostication game hands down.

This makes me really glad that I did NOT make a reservation. I find traditional auto salesmen to be very annoying.

If the reservation would lock in a price then I might have been more tempted. It will be interesting to see how many $ get added into "market adjustments" next year when the trucks start hitting the dealer lots.

By the way my opinion is that anything vehicle with a gas engine is trash, not just the Bronco. :)
I couldn’t tell who was annoyed more.. Me at the salesman for his basic salesman type attitude and lack of understanding or him at me for being annoyed that he even called me to update me on the Bronco. Lol.

I am in the process of installing PV at my home with a SunnyBoy SMA inverter that has a 2 kW AC output I can use if the grid goes down but the PV array is generating. If that type of functionality ever became common, I can imagine a 3rd party product that has a J1772 on one end and a connection to either a gateway or the inverter itself. The PV array could feed the car battery, or the car battery could feed the house when the PV is inadequate.
Could you just install a back up generator to solve this issue? The you could use your Tesla to travel to safety if needed?

Its battery warranty:

"Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period"

I think that's fair especially for the multi-purpose usage as a car battery as well as a house battery.
I'm assuming they're only going to allow the configuration to work with a transfer switch, rather than grid tied. So, you're limiting the excess wear on the battery to outages and not the constant daily cycle of charging and discharging with solar or TOU metering. One means the occasional additional wear of ~200mi on the battery during an outage vs. the potential equivalent of 1,000s of miles of additional wear per month as you charge and discharge daily. I wouldn't be surprised to find some verbiage in the warranty that equates Intelligent Backup Power usage to some number of miles per kWh. I'm sure there will be somebody that finds a way to grid tie it and puts the equivalent of 80k mi on the battery every year and I can't imagine the warranty being honored in that situation.

They should be able to easily track the cumulative charge history, along with discharge via normal use and via backup power.

...TOU metering...
Ford already thought about "arbitrage": to use its truck's battery for utility consumers to "buy low, sell high":

"Revolutionary Power At Home

Debuting on F-150 Lightning is available Ford Intelligent Backup Power, turning your truck into the ultimate power source for your home. With the ability to offload 9.6 kilowatts of power, Ford Intelligent Backup Power keeps the lights on during an outage while providing security by powering home appliances, security systems and more.

“Whether sheltering during a storm or trying to stay safe in a heat wave, customers can now use their truck to give themselves power when they need it most,” said Ryan O’Gorman, electric vehicle manager, Strategic Partnerships. “F-150 Lightning is built for seamless transitions between charging your vehicle and powering your house when needed – and Ford is the first in the U.S. to offer this capability on an electric truck.”

With Ford Intelligent Backup Power, enabled by the available 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home management system Ford can help install, F-150 Lightning automatically kicks in to power your house. Once power is restored, the truck automatically reverts to charging its battery. Based on an average 30kWh of use per day, F-150 Lightning with extended-range battery provides full-home power for up to three days, or as long as 10 days if power is rationed, with results varying based on energy usage.

In the future, Ford will introduce Ford Intelligent Power, which can use the truck to power homes during high-cost, peak-energy hours while taking advantage of low-cost overnight rates to charge the vehicle in time for your morning drive. This can help save money on electricity that powers your vehicle and home while also taking pressure off the grid in peak usage times.

Ford is also teaming up with the nation's leading solar company, Sunrun, to facilitate easy installation of the 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home integration system. Through this collaboration, customers will also have the opportunity to install solar energy on their home, enabling them to power their household with clean, affordable energy and charge their F-150 Lightning with the power of the sun."

Ford already thought about "arbitrage": to use its truck's battery for utility consumers to "buy low, sell high":
Interesting, certainly no reason it couldn't, other than I would expect them to need to revise any battery warranties to account for the excess wear. I'm not sold on the practicality though, since those buying it as a work vehicle are more likely to be out working with the vehicle rather than having it adorn their garage.