Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well you’re *sugar* out of luck then. If Musk thought it was a good idea then He would be in favor of VTG but he’s not. End of story. Wishing and hoping won’t get it done either. It’s very simple. If you need back up power for grid issues, get a back up generator.

I'm not worried about the grid going down but if it becomes an issue I'll integrate a home storage battery regardless of whether connecting from the EV is possible. The trade-off of not being able to use the EV for transport while it is powering the house is a debatable trade-off. I'm also fortunate that my soon to be PV array will be able to supply up to 2 kW AC during generation hours and my typical night time use is very moderate, perhaps a kWh a day.

So no, not *sugar* out of luck.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm not worried about the grid going down but if it becomes an issue I'll integrate a home storage battery regardless of whether connecting from the EV is possible. The trade-off of not being able to use the EV for transport while it is powering the house is a debatable trade-off. I'm also fortunate that my soon to be PV array will be able to supply up to 2 kW AC during generation hours and my typical night time use is very moderate, perhaps a kWh a day.

1 kWh during non-generation hours?? How is it so low?? Tiny home? Live in the dark?

1 kWh during non-generation hours?? How is it so low?? Tiny home? Live in the dark?

No and no.
Night is when we sleep. The house pretty much goes into hibernation mode too, and doesn't draw much more than the router and the refrigerator and a small basket of LED night lights that add up to 5 - 10 watts. And we do turn off lights if no body is using the space. Weird, huh ?

You may be right though, our energy consumption behavior patterns are probably more European like than the US, let alone Texas. No hot tub. No 10 ft fountain in the front yard. No grand displays of wealth or conspicuous consumption.

I've read that the average UK household consumes ~ 400 kWh of electricity a month. I'm pretty sure though that NG is used for heating water and space. Our home is similar regarding NG and consumption although at ~ 2800 ft*ft conditioned space I think a fair bit larger than average UK.

Last edited:
That maps to around 2M EVs in North America and around 5M worldwide (cars sold overseas are smaller than American cars). That's around 80% of Ford's total volume, so Ford is basically committing to be ~80% EV by 2030.
Looks more like 40%.

• Informative

1 kW is incredibly low. What is your secret? Just a refrigerator will burn 0.5kWh if you don't open or use it. A clothes dryer will peak at 7kWh starting and use on average 2-3 kWh during a cycle. And A/C is even larger, 9 kWh during starting, 5-6 kWh while running.

We have SolarRoof and Powerwalls and they will cover all of this and more. We generate around 50 kWh/day this time of year and only use about 20 kWh/day. The remaining 30 kWh is sent back to the grid and gets credited to our account to cover the lower generation and higher usage during fall and winter, The net is a $20/mo usage bill. But just as important, power 24/7 even if there is a multi-day grid outage.

1 kW is incredibly low. What is your secret? Just a refrigerator will burn 0.5kWh if you don't open or use it. A clothes dryer will peak at 7kWh starting and use on average 2-3 kWh during a cycle. And A/C is even larger, 9 kWh during starting, 5-6 kWh while running.

We have SolarRoof and Powerwalls and they will cover all of this and more. We generate around 50 kWh/day this time of year and only use about 20 kWh/day. The remaining 30 kWh is sent back to the grid and gets credited to our account to cover the lower generation and higher usage during fall and winter, The net is a $20/mo usage bill. But just as important, power 24/7 even if there is a multi-day grid outage.
You didn’t see above? His secret is no hot tub, 10 ft fountain, or other grand displays of wealth like the rest of us obviously have :rolleyes:

Well you’re *sugar* out of luck then. If Musk thought it was a good idea then He would be in favor of VTG but he’s not. End of story. Wishing and hoping won’t get it done either. It’s very simple. If you need back up power for grid issues, get a back up generator. If power goes down And you don’t have a back up generator, simply get in your Tesla and drive away.
there you go. Make a plan, work the plan.
I agree overall.
The practical feature (to me) in the F-150 Hybrid and Lightning version isn't to power your house. I view it as a great option to power an Airstream or other RV, as well as tools in the field. It's one less thing to carry and maintain. I believe the F-150 Hybrid could make even more sense in this regard depending on the use case. After all, once the truck's battery is depleted on the Lightning, it's gone.

You didn’t see above? His secret is no hot tub, 10 ft fountain, or other grand displays of wealth like the rest of us obviously have :rolleyes:
I run about 2000kWh/month, but that's with a decent amount of always on computer hardware and 3 plug-in vehicles. The house essentially breaks down to about 800kWh of that, the computers another 800kWh and the cars probably 400kWh. Until I go back to driving normally again, then the cars will likely jump up to 600-800kWh.

No particular secret, and keep in mind that during an outage I would shift consumption to the hours PV is active but the following may be a bit different than you:

• No clothes dryer. We use a line
  • Currently no AC. We have relied on night time ventilation but that will soon change when I install a swamp cooler for the ~ month or so that passive only ventilation leaves the house too hot for our comfort level from 3pm to 9pm. A swamp cooler load is ~ 600 watts.
  • For years I have prioritized energy consumption when I buy electrical or electronic products. E.g., we rarely turn on the TVs in the house and use our 5 - 7 watt notebooks for pretty much everything that requires a screen
  • Our ~ 20 cubic foot whirlpool freezer/fridge is rated for 310 kWh a year.
  • Now that we are a two person household and reflecting our eating habits and preferences, we mostly cook with a pressure cooker and a toaster oven
  • The rather obvious lights off when people are not using them
  • We mostly heat ourselves in the winter with localized methods rather than use the whole house ducting.
  • There are probably dozens of small decisions and behaviors we have acquired over the years. It is mostly a mindset of not wasting, and giving thought to efficiency.
Side comment: I'm not much of a camper but I've thought that it makes for a great learning experience how little power is actually needed when waste is excised and people focus on efficient use for what they really care about.

No particular secret, and keep in mind that during an outage I would shift consumption to the hours PV is active but the following may be a bit different than you:

• No clothes dryer. We use a line
  • Currently no AC. We have relied on night time ventilation but that will soon change when I install a swamp cooler for the ~ month or so that passive only ventilation leaves the house too hot for our comfort level from 3pm to 9pm. A swamp cooler load is ~ 600 watts.
  • For years I have prioritized energy consumption when I buy electrical or electronic products. E.g., we rarely turn on the TVs in the house and use our 5 - 7 watt notebooks for pretty much everything that requires a screen
  • Our ~ 20 cubic foot whirlpool freezer/fridge is rated for 310 kWh a year.
  • Now that we are a two person household and reflecting our eating habits and preferences, we mostly cook with a pressure cooker and a toaster oven
  • The rather obvious lights off when people are not using them
  • We mostly heat ourselves in the winter with localized methods rather than use the whole house ducting.
  • There are probably dozens of small decisions and behaviors we have acquired over the years. It is mostly a mindset of not wasting, and giving thought to efficiency.
Side comment: I'm not much of a camper but I've thought that it makes for a great learning experience how little power is actually needed when waste is excised and people focus on efficient use for what they really care about.
Those are impressive numbers. Just goes to show how low one can go.

I am looking at the PowerFlow at 11 AM and we have used 9.5 kWh since midnight. 1 kWh from the grid. 4.6 kW from the Powerwalls. The remainder from Solar. We are currently using 0.6 kW. Solar is producing 7.1 kW and we are sending 6.7 kW to the grid. This time of year we get about 95-99% of our power from solar/powerwalls.

I wish we could use a swamp cooler here, but the humidity is too high. We used to use them when we lived in the desert and they cooled well and had the added benefit of humidifying the air.

Just goes to show how low one can go.

I remember reading a couple years ago about an Australian household off-grid that consumed ~ 30 kWh a month, and they had a comfortable lifestyle.
My home consumes ~ 5 kWh a day not including the two EVs but that does not include the heating for water or space. The PV going in will mostly substitute for the NG, cover a new swamp cooler, and easily cover our current electricity use for the home and cars. I figure it will take ~ an 8 kW array.

In a year or so I'll know if my estimate was reasonable

Reactions: jboy210 and KJD
I remember reading a couple years ago about an Australian household off-grid that consumed ~ 30 kWh a month, and they had a comfortable lifestyle.
My home consumes ~ 5 kWh a day not including the two EVs but that does not include the heating for water or space. The PV going in will mostly substitute for the NG, cover a new swamp cooler, and easily cover our current electricity use for the home and cars. I figure it will take ~ an 8 kW array.

In a year or so I'll know if my estimate was reasonable
Sounds great. You should be generating a significant amount of excess power assuming you don't have a large amount of shading. Hopefully, that will provide the power to charge a CT and other EVs.

You'll be even more traumatized charging at a maximum of 150 kW (according to what I've read). I'm guessing that's about 90 minutes to charge to 100%. The availability of 250 kW charging on the Tesla alone makes it a no-brainer, particularly at roughly the same price point. :)
The Model 3 only draws 250kW for a VERY short part of the charging duration. If you showed up at a charger above 20% SoC, this "advantage" is essentially gone. Hence why Tesla seems to be in very little rush to replace the 150kW chargers around the world. Heck, the closest supercharger to me is only an urban 72kW charger, but in my opinion, more charging locations trumps higher speed every day. In this area, Tesla do still have a clear advantage as well. Where as the whole 150 vs 250 kW peak output is not as relevant as some people believe. At the end of the day, a decent amount of stations at each area is far more important than peak output. If you had say only 2-4 250kW stations, versus 3-6 150kW stations, you will still be able to charge significantly more vehicles per hour. Doubly so if one or two stations are down for maintenance.

The Model 3 only draws 250kW for a VERY short part of the charging duration. If you showed up at a charger above 20% SoC, this "advantage" is essentially gone. Hence why Tesla seems to be in very little rush to replace the 150kW chargers around the world. Heck, the closest supercharger to me is only an urban 72kW charger, but in my opinion, more charging locations trumps higher speed every day. In this area, Tesla do still have a clear advantage as well. Where as the whole 150 vs 250 kW peak output is not as relevant as some people believe. At the end of the day, a decent amount of stations at each area is far more important than peak output. If you had say only 2-4 250kW stations, versus 3-6 150kW stations, you will still be able to charge significantly more vehicles per hour. Doubly so if one or two stations are down for maintenance.
I agree that more locations is key. And especially if they almost always work. And this is something I have found with the Supercharger network, but not with the other networks.

This video scares me about traveling on the current FordPass virtual charging network. I assume by the time the F-150 EV ships they will have fixed all the issues.

The Model 3 only draws 250kW for a VERY short part of the charging duration. If you showed up at a charger above 20% SoC, this "advantage" is essentially gone.
Except the EA chargers do the same from 150kW, dropping to 70-80kW after you hit 30-40%. Still means my dad can go from 10% to 80% in about 15-20 minutes, but I suspect the SC would get you the same amount more quickly.

Except the EA chargers do the same from 150kW, dropping to 70-80kW after you hit 30-40%. Still means my dad can go from 10% to 80% in about 15-20 minutes, but I suspect the SC would get you the same amount more quickly.
That's how all fast charging works, it drops off fairly quickly as your SoC rises. Hence why chasing higher and higher peak charging rates is kind of silly until battery tech gets enough energy density to warrant it. Usually it's the car's battery chemistry that is the limiting factor in charging, not the station, the exception being for when you have a lower SoC.

Reactions: lottadot and El joe
For those considering the Lightning, I wouldn't count on the federal tax rebates still being around. Ford only has 75K or so of those left. The MachE will have been out for more than a full year by the time the truck is out. That is unless they bump the limit to over 200K.

Um, from today:
US Senate Finance Committee has put forth a bill to extend and strongly improve the US federal EV tax credit.