Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit presumptuous. In Texas where we have lawns, back yards and acres on the cheap(depending on the locale) trucks are quite useful for tottin’ peole and all sorts of stuff!
I had read some stats that showed that most trucks never go off road and rarely haul anything. Still, plenty do both. Personally I am looking forward to using it on dirt road to shuttle to the top of trails. Having no paint is a plus.

The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
A 4WD CT with 300+ range and FSD is $60,000. Roomy crew cab; an annual wash will suffice; the bed can be used closed and locked or open; and it will be the coolest truck on the road. I wouldn't consider anything else.

A bit presumptuous. In Texas where we have lawns, back yards and acres on the cheap(depending on the locale) trucks are quite useful for tottin’ peole and all sorts of stuff!
Hmm. I own homes in both Texas and California in suburban settings. While the house is bigger in Texas. the yard is bigger in California. At least in the Austin NorthWest suburbs, they seem to build big houses on small lots and jam as many as they can in the space. We could have gone further out of Austin, but then you start losing things like fiber internet which people need to work remotely.

CT will be limited production vehicle......a collectors item. Then Tesla will reveal a normal truck and change all those CT orders to the normal truck. Musk has been slowly hinting at this.
Do you think so? Perhaps my attraction to is causing me to project that others feel the same way. Could be a big mistake on my part. However, I am really getting disheartened that we will see them anytime soon. I think it would've been the replacement for my Raptor. Yes I don't really need a pickup truck but I enjoy them vs and SUv.

Reactions: TessP100D
Do you think so? Perhaps my attraction to is causing me to project that others feel the same way. Could be a big mistake on my part. However, I am really getting disheartened that we will see them anytime soon. I think it would've been the replacement for my Raptor. Yes I don't really need a pickup truck but I enjoy them vs and SUv.
I'm expecting a VIP limited release in December and then a slow ramp throughout 1H 2022. Even if they can build the truck, they still don't have the batteries to go in it anyway. So, mass production has to be 1 year away.

CT will be limited production vehicle......a collectors item. Then Tesla will reveal a normal truck and change all those CT orders to the normal truck. Musk has been slowly hinting at this.
Tesla does not do limited production designs. Its too expensive to design something like that. Tesla's engineering is far more limited and it would sooner be canceled than a limited production run.

Reactions: McFlurri and AquaY

I don’t follow Musk’s tweets like many do but I haven‘t seen or heard any “ hints” to dumping the Cyber Truck and making a “ normal” one.
I read the transcript from the Earnings Report and didn’t see anything to support your assumptions. Certainly no hints. Slow or otherwise. In fact if anything Elon Musk pointed out making a limited run would be prohibitively expensive. Remember his $1,000,000 price statement?
There was nothing in there to indicate they were coming up with any consumer truck other than the CT

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hmm. I own homes in both Texas and California in suburban settings. While the house is bigger in Texas. the yard is bigger in California. At least in the Austin NorthWest suburbs, they seem to build big houses on small lots and jam as many as they can in the space. We could have gone further out of Austin, but then you start losing things like fiber internet which people need to work remotely.
And that’s why y’all are keeping Austin weird right! Let me guess, you weren’t born in Texas but got here as soon as you could? My point is trucks ain’t just for what you see in the commercials. I’m Texas where we have no real mass transit and most of the country is rural, they are pretty useful.
The F-150 is the best selling truck and I believe the best selling Ford…full stop. It’s going to be a tough road for Tesla to pull off customers w/o an exclusive SC network.

Has there ever been a poll on this site on how much of an influence the SC network was/is on purchasing decisions? Might be interesting to see the results.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
And that’s why y’all are keeping Austin weird right! Let me guess, you weren’t born in Texas but got here as soon as you could? My point is trucks ain’t just for what you see in the commercials. I’m Texas where we have no real mass transit and most of the country is rural, they are pretty useful.
The F-150 is the best selling truck and I believe the best selling Ford…full stop. It’s going to be a tough road for Tesla to pull off customers w/o an exclusive SC network.

Has there ever been a poll on this site on how much of an influence the SC network was/is on purchasing decisions? Might be interesting to see the results.
I like my f350 but the features that attract me to the CT are the lack of paint, the skin being dent proof, and tough glass. No more cows dinging my truck, no tree limbs scratching them, etc. Sandy Munro videos show you how far Ford has come and yet how far they still have to go to get to Teslas engineering on the battery, thermal management, etc. The mache looks like a first EV and for that reason I am impressed when they did some things much better than VW who had made several EVs. I could care less about the steering wheel and I am sure in that cab I'll figure out where to put my coffee mugs, and hydraulic hoses, grass seed, 20 chains, 4 saws, sharpeners, etc etc. It's going to be an absolute dream for any farmer or utility that does ROW work, etc etc. No more body damage claims.

I am sure the lightening will be a fine truck and due to battery constraints both companies will sell everyone they make. However, there are a million reservations for the CT vs 130k for the lightening.

Really hoping Elon was watching and saw that timeline and decides to ramp up production.

The real casualty here may be Rivian. Not sure what their competitive advantage is any longer since the reservations may turn into production at the same time as the Lightning.
"Really hoping Elon was watching and saw that timeline and decides to ramp up production."

Do you think the production schedule is set according to Elon's whim? CT cannot be produced until Tesla works out how to actually build the exoskeleton and install the tooling machinery, until they get, install, and fine tune the Gigapress, and until they solve the problems of manufacturing 4680 cells in volume.

Won't be this year. Looks like best case mid to late 2022.

"Really hoping Elon was watching and saw that timeline and decides to ramp up production."

Do you think the production schedule is set according to Elon's whim? CT cannot be produced until Tesla works out how to actually build the exoskeleton and install the tooling machinery, until they get, install, and fine tune the Gigapress, and until they solve the problems of manufacturing 4680 cells in volume.

Won't be this year. Looks like best case mid to late 2022.
You don’t think Elon has a word on prioritization? Did you listen to him on Joe Rohan saying what he thought they should work on next? Or how he just changed pricing of the Model S to $69,420 on a whim, because of Lucid’s pricing even though they still haven’t launched? Pretty sure he can influence things if he wanted to.