Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that’s why y’all are keeping Austin weird right! Let me guess, you weren’t born in Texas but got here as soon as you could? My point is trucks ain’t just for what you see in the commercials. I’m Texas where we have no real mass transit and most of the country is rural, they are pretty useful.
The F-150 is the best selling truck and I believe the best selling Ford…full stop. It’s going to be a tough road for Tesla to pull off customers w/o an exclusive SC network.

Has there ever been a poll on this site on how much of an influence the SC network was/is on purchasing decisions? Might be interesting to see the results.
Agree about rural areas, but those are by definition lower population concentrations. Also, the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle (car, truck, etc.) in the US for something like the last 15-20 years. So no mystery that it will sell well.

However, If Tesla can still get a little of that market they will have done well. And I think this was one reason for building the Cybertruck in Texas. Texans are quite proud of their state and may be likely to buy the "hometown" product.

Agree about rural areas, but those are by definition lower population concentrations. Also, the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle (car, truck, etc.) in the US for something like the last 15-20 years. So no mystery that it will sell well.

However, If Tesla can still get a little of that market they will have done well. And I think this was one reason for building the Cybertruck in Texas. Texans are quite proud of their state and may be likely to buy the "hometown" product.
Oh, forgot. FWIW I do not live in Texas. We own homes as a part of our investments. The Austin property has done quite well. I only wished I would have bought multiple homes when I used to go there doing work for Dell and other companies.

I love the Cybertruck - the futuristic looks, the yoke steering wheel, no door handles and everything. I'm sure it will all work great as they will not sell something that cannot be used. I loved the Model X auto doors. Yes, to me, the Cybertruck is the best electric vehicle period. I will wait for it and save my money so that hopefully I can pay cash for it.

Brent

Reactions: SmartElectric
And that’s why y’all are keeping Austin weird right! Let me guess, you weren’t born in Texas but got here as soon as you could? My point is trucks ain’t just for what you see in the commercials. I’m Texas where we have no real mass transit and most of the country is rural, they are pretty useful.
The F-150 is the best selling truck and I believe the best selling Ford…full stop. It’s going to be a tough road for Tesla to pull off customers w/o an exclusive SC network.

Has there ever been a poll on this site on how much of an influence the SC network was/is on purchasing decisions? Might be interesting to see the results.
F150 isn't the best selling truck... it's the best selling vehicle in the country.

You don’t think Elon has a word on prioritization? Did you listen to him on Joe Rohan saying what he thought they should work on next? Or how he just changed pricing of the Model S to $69,420 on a whim, because of Lucid’s pricing even though they still haven’t launched? Pretty sure he can influence things if he wanted to.
Elon's whims can't overcome the lack of capability to build CT this year.

F150 isn't the best selling truck... it's the best selling vehicle in the country.
Common misconception due to marketing double speak:
The F-series (including F150, F250, F350,SUPERDUTY...) is best selling "VEHICLE" (if you can call it ONE vehicle).
--- I think if that's a thing, then all the VW/Audi A-series cars should be lumped together too. ---
The F150 maybe the best selling "TRUCK", but the 'news' uses F150/F-Series so interchangeably, no way to be sure.

I think the Lighting is boring, but any competition is good for Tesla and us all.

Common misconception due to marketing double speak:
The F-series (including F150, F250, F350,SUPERDUTY...) is best selling "VEHICLE" (if you can call it ONE vehicle).
--- I think if that's a thing, then all the VW/Audi A-series cars should be lumped together too. ---
The F150 maybe the best selling "TRUCK", but the 'news' uses F150/F-Series so interchangeably, no way to be sure.

I think the Lighting is boring, but any competition is good for Tesla and us all.

Whats boring about it?

Sandy seemed very happy. The key takeaway for me is that they like the physical layout, the frunk, sockets, etc. They were much impressed by the rear suspension (totally new in auto- like that used on challenger tank- a very very good tank design BTW). They were very impressed by the isolated battery pack with the steel armor.

All in all from a first glance it appears that Sandy and Cory thought it would be a great product. Seems it also still has the same electronics/cooling issues that the mache had. I wonder if they can redesign away from that as fast as Tesla did, via octovalve,

Once charging infrastructure for non-Tesla's noticeably improves and I can do any routing in a non-Tesla I can currently do in my Tesla - then I'm strongly considering the F150 Lightning. Cybertruck with yoke / no door handles and likely not hitting the market until 2023 isn't that appealing to me.

Reactions: TessP100D
Once charging infrastructure for non-Tesla's noticeably improves and I can do any routing in a non-Tesla I can currently do in my Tesla - then I'm strongly considering the F150 Lightning. Cybertruck with yoke / no door handles and likely not hitting the market until 2023 isn't that appealing to me.
exactly. The promise of a CT seemed special, at first. As we move on in time and see all the details that’s wrong with the the CT it’s becoming way lease appealing.

So I just put down a deposit for a Lightning. I am keeping my CT reservation, but I have lost confidence that Tesla can deliver a decent product in any kind of reasonable timeline. I have been following the 2021 S/X refresh (we have been thinking about getting an X) and it has been an absolute disaster. Countless software bugs, damaged vehicles, rattles, etc.

It will be interesting to learn more as the Ford gets closer. While the EPA ranges for the MS and Taycan were quite different, Car and Driver's real world results were quite close. So we shall see. Having driven Tesla's for 11 years now, range is no longer the be-all end-all for me.

Anyway, that's my story. If someone builds a better EV, I will switch.

Reactions: TessP100D and KJD
They will sell like hotcakes in California when you stack EV incentives, 12.5K from infrastructure bill, $4500k from CVRP(income eligible), $5000 from CVAP (income eligible), $1.5k from CCFR + many cities have additional incentives.

That's now a $15-20k truck for low to moderate income people, and you know California is full of those:eek:

How do ya'll think Chevy Bolts actually sold over the years and plenty of demand, its due to the stacking of incentives and aggressive lease deals not because its a great car. I envision the same aggressive deals for Americas best selling truck... but there will still be lots of Tesla demand its the future and these legacy automakers are far behind but that doesn't mean they can't survive.

Look at the Bolt sales history:

Tesla is still king, Model 3 sales:

What Ford is marketing for the Lightning is definitely similar to Tesla, as it appears to me that the "charging your house" feature has been directly taken from the CT. Regarding autopilot and safety features, Tesla is a lead innovator, and what I admire most is their originality with CT's design and features. Not to mention the stainless steel alloy used for the frame, which was made by SpaceX.

How do ya'll think Chevy Bolts actually sold over the years and plenty of demand, its due to the stacking of incentives and aggressive lease deals not because its a great car. I envision the same aggressive deals for Americas best selling truck... but there will still be lots of Tesla demand its the future and these legacy automakers are far behind but that doesn't mean they can't survive.

I highly doubt the F-150 Lightning will be real competition for Tesla's Cybertruck since it's clear that Tesla is devoting all their time, money, and resources into building factories and perfecting their electric vehicles, while it seems that for a while at least, other automakers have not been prioritizing making sale-topping EVs, only getting subsidies and tax rebates and such. Not to mention the amazing track record Tesla has with sales of their vehicles over the past several years; there have been many other EVs from legacy automakers that have seen poor sales in comparison to Tesla. Ford does have a lot going for itself, such as the iconic reliability of the F-150, but I'd want to see the Lightning deliver to customers first and meet expectations of a vehicle better than or just as good as the Cybertruck, before I can choose Ford's hype vehicle over Tesla's sales track record.

I see the impatience of wanting to wait until 2022 or 2023 for the Cybertruck a reason to choose the Lightning over the CT, but if Tesla's making a better product, I see reason to wait for it.

Reactions: JoRoMo
So people want to see Ford deliver a better F-150 Lightning than the Cybertruck........which only has one prototype.

If you haven't driven an F150, at least go drive the Hybrid Poweboost option and see what its all about. Tesla is going to have a hard time keeping up with the quality, comfort and flexibility of the F-150. Their spartan interior will be a no go for most people. It works in the Model 3, mainly because its a good commuter to get you from point A to B.

BTW, Tesla has a marketing department?

Reactions: Zer0t and TessP100D
So people want to see Ford deliver a better F-150 Lightning than the Cybertruck........which only has one prototype.

If you haven't driven an F150, at least go drive the Hybrid Poweboost option and see what its all about. Tesla is going to have a hard time keeping up with the quality, comfort and flexibility of the F-150. Their spartan interior will be a no go for most people. It works in the Model 3, mainly because its a good commuter to get you from point A to B.

BTW, Tesla has a marketing department?
Agreed. Ford make a great product. Fit and finish, comfort and accessories is way better in a Ford than in a Tesla. Sorry the minimal interiors of Tesla doesn’t cut it.