Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their spartan interior will be a no go for most people. It works in the Model 3, mainly because its a good commuter to get you from point A to B.
Sorry the minimal interiors of Tesla doesn’t cut it.
What interior features do you feel Tesla vehicles are lacking? We are quite happy with our Model S and Model 3 interiors, and we feel that other vehicles are cluttered with unnecessary distractions. For many, this is a selling point of Tesla. It's like the iPhone of cars (and I really like my iPhone). On the other hand, it'll be nice to have options like the F-150 Lightning for people who prefer more traditional cabins. I don't think this will end up being "most people", though.

They will sell like hotcakes in California when you stack EV incentives, 12.5K from infrastructure bill, $4500k from CVRP(income eligible), $5000 from CVAP (income eligible), $1.5k from CCFR + many cities have additional incentives.
Try actually getting all of those California rebates. We know people who got on the CVAP list months ago, to no avail. Some of these sorts of programs just aren't funded at anywhere near the level needed to achieve their stated purposes.

it appears to me that the "charging your house" feature has been directly taken from the CT.
I agree with your other points, but Tesla has no publicly-announced plans for a "vehicle to home" feature. Elon Musk has previously stated that he thinks stationary batteries (i.e., Powerwalls), and not vehicles that might not even be present at home during an outage, are best for use as home batteries.

The best solution, in my mind, would be a "vehicle to home battery" feature. If going through the trouble of permitting and installing the home electrical infrastructure to support "vehicle to home" as with the F-150 Lightning, then one might as well add a battery (Powerwall or other). That battery would always be available to charge from solar and/or the grid and to supply the home during outages and during peak electrical rate periods. As a Powerwall owner, I'm a believer in this. And during extended outages, particularly during the winter, it would be great to be able to supplement that battery with our EVs which could be charged elsewhere if needed. This could also be extremely useful for off-grid homes.

What interior features do you feel Tesla vehicles are lacking? We are quite happy with our Model S and Model 3 interiors, and we feel that other vehicles are cluttered with unnecessary distractions. For many, this is a selling point of Tesla. It's like the iPhone of cars (and I really like my iPhone). On the other hand, it'll be nice to have options like the F-150 Lightning for people who prefer more traditional cabins. I don't think this will end up being "most people", though.

Try actually getting all of those California rebates. We know people who got on the CVAP list months ago, to no avail. Some of these sorts of programs just aren't funded at anywhere near the level needed to achieve their stated purposes.

I agree with your other points, but Tesla has no publicly-announced plans for a "vehicle to home" feature. Elon Musk has previously stated that he thinks stationary batteries (i.e., Powerwalls), and not vehicles that might not even be present at home during an outage, are best for use as home batteries.

The best solution, in my mind, would be a "vehicle to home battery" feature. If going through the trouble of permitting and installing the home electrical infrastructure to support "vehicle to home" as with the F-150 Lightning, then one might as well add a battery (Powerwall or other). That battery would always be available to charge from solar and/or the grid and to supply the home during outages and during peak electrical rate periods. As a Powerwall owner, I'm a believer in this. And during extended outages, particularly during the winter, it would be great to be able to supplement that battery with our EVs which could be charged elsewhere if needed. This could also be extremely useful for off-grid homes.
You mean cluttered like the Model S which has a more traditional interior minus the shifter and column stalks? It's not about features but design. The F-150 has minimal buttons also with a big screen in the middle but if you want buttons you can opt for the smaller 12".

Yes, it's a selling point for Tesla for commuting. I appreciate the interior in the Model 3 for commuting that has less distractions.

BTW, Order Banks for the F150 looks be opening up in about a month.

Agreed. Ford make a great product. Fit and finish, comfort and accessories is way better in a Ford than in a Tesla. Sorry the minimal interiors of Tesla doesn’t cut it.
it's not necessarily the minimal interior in the Model 3 which is fine and appropriate .... it's the stupid stuff like no stalks / yoke and selecting gears on a touchscreen which is a massive turn-off and even more so in the truck market. enjoy making tight turns with a trailer attached and a yoke...

I really hope Tesla drops the yoke / no stalks and no door handles nonsense with the cybertruck. The F150 has oversized door handles so they are easy to open - even with thick work gloves. That's the kind of focus a truck needs. Not "design over function" and you end up with a yoke

it's the stupid stuff like no stalks / yoke and selecting gears on a touchscreen which is a massive turn-off and even more so in the truck market. enjoy making tight turns with a trailer attached and a yoke...
I agree that touchscreen-based gear selection might be somewhat annoying. Similarly, on our Model 3, I'd prefer a stalk for the windshield wipers, since the auto wiper control has never been as good as hoped for. But I consider these issues to be minor.

The yoke, however, is a selling point with the new Model S because it doesn't obscure the instrument panel the way a steering wheel does. I just don't see tight turns, with or without a trailer, as much of an issue with a yoke. You're not moving very quickly while making tight turns with a trailer, so it's hard to see the yoke as any real hindrance to safety or convenience.

Although I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery of a Cybertruck, I am excited to see the F-150 Lightning coming to market because Tesla can't make all of the EVs that are needed, and it's great for buyers to have choices. For those for whom the gear selection, doors, yoke, etc. on the CT are off-putting, the Lightning seems to be the best alternative, a better value than the Rivian or GM planned trucks. If the Lightning is a big enough hit, it might motivate Tesla to release a more conventional pickup in addition to the CT.

it's not necessarily the minimal interior in the Model 3 which is fine and appropriate .... it's the stupid stuff like no stalks / yoke and selecting gears on a touchscreen which is a massive turn-off and even more so in the truck market. enjoy making tight turns with a trailer attached and a yoke...

I really hope Tesla drops the yoke / no stalks and no door handles nonsense with the cybertruck. The F150 has oversized door handles so they are easy to open - even with thick work gloves. That's the kind of focus a truck needs. Not "design over function" and you end up with a yoke
I agree with you 100%

I agree that touchscreen-based gear selection might be somewhat annoying. Similarly, on our Model 3, I'd prefer a stalk for the windshield wipers, since the auto wiper control has never been as good as hoped for. But I consider these issues to be minor.

The yoke, however, is a selling point with the new Model S because it doesn't obscure the instrument panel the way a steering wheel does. I just don't see tight turns, with or without a trailer, as much of an issue with a yoke. You're not moving very quickly while making tight turns with a trailer, so it's hard to see the yoke as any real hindrance to safety or convenience.

Although I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery of a Cybertruck, I am excited to see the F-150 Lightning coming to market because Tesla can't make all of the EVs that are needed, and it's great for buyers to have choices. For those for whom the gear selection, doors, yoke, etc. on the CT are off-putting, the Lightning seems to be the best alternative, a better value than the Rivian or GM planned trucks. If the Lightning is a big enough hit, it might motivate Tesla to release a more conventional pickup in addition to the CT.
When Ford does release the Lightning, my one and only hope, is that Crazy Elon sees it, and finally decides to WAKE UP …. And fix all the stupid stuff he’s planing to leave off the CT. Come on Elon, let’s not them make a Joke out of you like that stupid Yoke wheel for starters.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I'd prefer a stalk for the windshield wipers, since the auto wiper control has never been as good as hoped for.
I assume you do know that the Model 3 does have windshield wiper control on the stalk?
if you push in on the stalk, it turns the wiper on and brings up a touch screen control to set the mode (pulse, slow, fast).
I would prefer a few more manual controls but I know that I'm only a small part of the market - and not one of the ones who always goes out and buys the latest gadget.

Only 4 pages in.
2ZRUbuf.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I assume you do know that the Model 3 does have windshield wiper control on the stalk?
if you push in on the stalk, it turns the wiper on and brings up a touch screen control to set the mode (pulse, slow, fast).
I would prefer a few more manual controls but I know that I'm only a small part of the market - and not one of the ones who always goes out and buys the latest gadget.
Yes. I just prefer controlling the wiper speed from a stalk instead of a touchscreen. That’s one thing I like about our classic Model S. If Tesla can further improve the auto wiper control, including in winter conditions, then this minor peeve will go away.

Yes. I just prefer controlling the wiper speed from a stalk instead of a touchscreen. That’s one thing I like about our classic Model S. If Tesla can further improve the auto wiper control, including in winter conditions, then this minor peeve will go away.
agreed. I like the stalk push button to activate wipers but the auto-wipe function/ vision based rain detection still is horribly lagging compared to legacy OEMs. either the wipers barely run or they go into full high speed mode with only some light misting and screetch over a windshield. manually adjusting wiper speed on the touch screen gets old quickly

Reactions: TessP100D
agreed. I like the stalk push button to activate wipers but the auto-wipe function/ vision based rain detection still is horribly lagging compared to legacy OEMs. either the wipers barely run or they go into full high speed mode with only some light misting and screetch over a windshield. manually adjusting wiper speed on the touch screen gets old quickly
Bring back the stock.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Was watching a documentary recently and one of the topics was Henry Ford:

Pretty shocking to me, was unaware HF donated to the Nazi party pre-WWII and the history of worker treatment.
OH well, not sure which of my F150 or Cybertruck reservations will win, but this new understanding of the history of Henry Ford saddened me.

Was watching a documentary recently and one of the topics was Henry Ford:

Pretty shocking to me, was unaware HF donated to the Nazi party pre-WWII and the history of worker treatment.
OH well, not sure which of my F150 or Cybertruck reservations will win, but this new understanding of the history of Henry Ford saddened me.
interesting but also Henry Ford died 74 years ago... not sure how that's relevant for today's EV market

Who uses the touch screen?
Click right thumbwheel. “Set wipers to 3”. Done.

Even then voice command is slower than using your fingers to push down a stalk. Some things were just meant to stay mechanical.
Huh? All you have to do is push in on the end of the stalk and the wiper begins doing whatever it was previously set to. If that doesn't get the job done for the present condition, you simply have to push it again until you get to a place where you can safely adjust the configuration by tapping on the touch screen.
Maybe it has been too long since I drove a legacy ICE much in rain but I recall having a hard time trying to see what the pulse setting is from its tiny fonts on the little stalk that is partially obscured by the steering wheel. I seem to recall this being particularly difficult in the dark as the illumination of the set points on the stalk is often poor. On the Model 3, the setting quickly shows up when you push the end of the stalk. It is in reasonably large, clear, and illuminated icons on the display, immediately to the right of the steering wheel, in easy field of view without having to take eyes off the road.
I'll be the first to acknowledge preferences agains some things in the Model 3 (and many in the Daimler stalks on the Model S), including manual door latches and locks, emergency brake, and lack of AM radio but I don't believe that those who complain about the wiper control (ignoring the automatic feature) actually understand how it works.
I'll also add that most of the rest of the settings and controls on the Model 3 are waaaayyyy superior to any other car I've ever driven. This significantly offsets the trivial number of negatives.

Reactions: bpjod
Huh? All you have to do is push in on the end of the stalk and the wiper begins doing whatever it was previously set to. If that doesn't get the job done for the present condition, you simply have to push it again until you get to a place where you can safely adjust the configuration by tapping on the touch screen.
Maybe it has been too long since I drove a legacy ICE much in rain but I recall having a hard time trying to see what the pulse setting is from its tiny fonts on the little stalk that is partially obscured by the steering wheel. I seem to recall this being particularly difficult in the dark as the illumination of the set points on the stalk is often poor. On the Model 3, the setting quickly shows up when you push the end of the stalk. It is in reasonably large, clear, and illuminated icons on the display, immediately to the right of the steering wheel, in easy field of view without having to take eyes off the road.
I'll be the first to acknowledge preferences agains some things in the Model 3 (and many in the Daimler stalks on the Model S), including manual door latches and locks, emergency brake, and lack of AM radio but I don't believe that those who complain about the wiper control (ignoring the automatic feature) actually understand how it works.
I'll also add that most of the rest of the settings and controls on the Model 3 are waaaayyyy superior to any other car I've ever driven. This significantly offsets the trivial number of negatives.

Way superior? Yeah, its been a while since you've driven an ICE. Sometimes simpler is better. The wiper to me is not that big of a deal as it seldom rains in So Cal but to other people when its pouring I can see how trying to find the right setting might create conflict. The Auto wipers in my 2015 Acura MDX are way Superior than the Auto setting in my Model 3, but it's something that I am sure Tesla can fix with an update.

Auto wipers in my 2015 Acura MDX are way Superior than the Auto setting in my Model 3
I guess it just proves that there need to be different strokes for different folks. I, personally dislike the Acura MDX controls. Way too many buttons and knobs scattered around the dash and center console. But then I don't own one and have only experience it when driving relatives' ones.
I haven't experienced any auto wipers that I've found to be good enough.
Anyway, while I can respect preferences between likely differences between the CT and the Ford 150 Lightning, if the Model 3 wiper control is enough to tip folks' decision between a CT and a Ford, they probably have no real need for a pickup truck of any type.