Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like Ford is serious about building electric trucks. I wanted to compare this video against the Tesla video showing how the CT is being made, but …. I can’t. I guess there is not one to be found.

Also it’s nice to see the Ford a lightning has all the things real truck drivers want … like a round setting wheel, side mirrors, door handles, windshield wipers, tires and rims underneath the fenders, traditional stock controls, real leather seating and dash, and so many more Items.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like Ford is serious about building electric trucks. I wanted to compare this video against the Tesla video showing how the CT is being made, but …. I can’t. I guess there is not one to be found.

Also it’s nice to see the Ford a lightning has all the things real truck drivers want … like a round setting wheel, side mirrors, door handles, windshield wipers, tires and rims underneath the fenders, traditional stock controls, real leather seating and dash, and so many more Items.

There's a video of them showing the redesigned front windshield for the redesigned CT that we still haven't seen..... in other words, there's nothing

Reactions: Zer0t and TessP100D
I agree choices are good.
I, for one, can't imagine backing a CT down a dirt trail with a steering yoke. With a round wheel, your hand knows where to grab, even while looking behind you. Also, I was taught to drive off-road without tucking your thumb into the wheel in the event that you hit a rock or pothole and the jerking wheel breaks your thumb (probably not such a huge issue with power steering but I'm not going to change in case it still applies). Can you grip a yoke without tucking in your thumbs? Also, in racing school, they taught us to shuffle steer instead of letting go of the wheel when turning sharply. How does one do that with a yoke (or does it offer full steering range with only about 1/2 turn of the yoke?)
Yokes are fine for air planes, race cars, and probably MS Plaid that only (or mostly) go one direction.

Tesla typically does not show videos of preproduction anything. So that's normal. And they have the problem of not being able to keep up with demand for the Model Y so they are concentrating on finishing the Model Y factory in Texas. As soon as they finished the first press, they started making Model Y castings. There are now two machines finished, a third being assembled and foundations for two more being poured. We have not seen parts for the larger press for the truck yet. As far as the yoke for backing up, you're probably going to be using the image on the screen rather than the view out the back window. The tailgate is in the way anyway. The camera view on my 2011 F150 is much better than the view I can get by turning around. The 4680 batteries have reached 70-80% yield so they are not ready for mass production anyway.
I wish I had my CT also but it's gonna be a while.

Tesla typically does not show videos of preproduction anything. So that's normal. And they have the problem of not being able to keep up with demand for the Model Y so they are concentrating on finishing the Model Y factory in Texas. As soon as they finished the first press, they started making Model Y castings. There are now two machines finished, a third being assembled and foundations for two more being poured. We have not seen parts for the larger press for the truck yet. As far as the yoke for backing up, you're probably going to be using the image on the screen rather than the view out the back window. The tailgate is in the way anyway. The camera view on my 2011 F150 is much better than the view I can get by turning around. The 4680 batteries have reached 70-80% yield so they are not ready for mass production anyway.
I wish I had my CT also but it's gonna be a while.
I just read what you said and I’m digesting it. I think you said.. Yes Ford is doing an Amazing job of promoting a truck they are actually building …. And Tesla is not doing a good job. I agree.

Well Tesla has many more reservations than Ford so I do not know they they would look to promote it. It will be several years before either can catch up. Yes I like the Lightning. I would not order one except that Tesla is opening their charge network and Ford has V2H.

I mean I was impressed with Tesla’s Reservation numbers. But then you go on YT and see people reserving 300 + just for the likes…..

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
you're probably going to be using the image on the screen rather than the view out the back window.
You must drive on cleaner roads than I do so the rear view camera doesn't get coated with mud or dust.
I'm sure the CT will be good, I'm just not sold on the steering wheel.
The Tank-turn by the Rivian might also be useful for turning around so one might not even have to back up.
I think there will be plenty of room in the pickup market for the CT, F150 Lightning, and the Rivian though. After all, GM, Ford, and Dodge share the market today.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Well Tesla has many more reservations than Ford so I do not know they they would look to promote it. It will be several years before either can catch up. Yes I like the Lightning. I would not order one except that Tesla is opening their charge network and Ford has V2H.
Maybe. Maybe their network will be open. Details not out yet. And V2H is not required and (oh my gosh, even Elon is against it) and I am with him on that one.

I mean I was impressed with Tesla’s Reservation numbers. But then you go on YT and see people reserving 300 + just for the likes…..
Lots of other deposit holders too for … 2020 Roadster, Semi, Plaid Plus…. All of them just out the money. Who knows of Tesla will ever produce them. once the Ct gets redesigned, I’m sure they will start a new Deposit Campaign

We spent 48 hours without power in Feb. It was as cold as 3 deg F outside. When the power came on it was 42 degF inside. V2H would have made it much better. Must isn't against V2H specifically but is against buying and selling electricity using batteries in cars.
As far as deposits and reservations, I'm not worried about the CT. It is a very important product to Tesla.
The plaid plus has been superseded by the Plaid S being so fast.
The Roadster is not a real moneymaker since the volume is so low.
I think Tesla is just being smart. Finally remember that Tesla is not just one guy. There are thousands of employees making decisions. Watch battery day again and see how much he relies on others.

Lots of other deposit holders too for … 2020 Roadster, Semi, Plaid Plus…. All of them just out the money. Who knows of Tesla will ever produce them. once the Ct gets redesigned, I’m sure they will start a new Deposit Campaign
So far, Tesla has produced pretty much everything they have promised. Its never on time, sometimes there are false starts, but it gets there eventually. Granted, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance, however, Tesla has, by far, the best track record on EVs, automobile, and energy innovations than pretty much anyone (arguably everyone) else in the industry, at least in the past century.

So far, Tesla has produced pretty much everything they have promised. Its never on time, sometimes there are false starts, but it gets there eventually. Granted, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance, however, Tesla has, by far, the best track record on EVs, automobile, and energy innovations than pretty much anyone (arguably everyone) else in the industry, at least in the past century.
Yet they are still ripping people off by taking deposits for products that don’t exist.

Yes, but the list of undelivered things is growing faster than the list of delivered things, which is not a recipe for success. Elon is writing checks that the company can't cash. Then while the employees scramble to try and make Elon's dreams a reality, customer service, product quality, etc has gone down the drain. People put up with it right now because there is no alternative. But that will change.

So many people here are in denial, much like the Big 3 in the 70's when the Japanese came in and ate their lunch. Oh, Tesla has such a lead, no one can touch them, the SC network, blah, blah, blah.... Lucid has shown that others can build a long range EV. The charging situation will fix over the next few years. An EV manufacturer owning a charging network will be an anomaly, just like an ICE manufacturer owning gas stations. Don't get me wrong, it was genius on Elon's part to drive adoption, no question. But it distracts from the company's core mission to build great EVs (though arguably it is less distracting than building a robot).

Look, I want Tesla to succeed. I have been a customer for 11 years. I just ordered an MX Plaid. It pains me to see what is happening to the company. I just hope that they can turn it around before people start voting with their wallets.

I think this was really a good interaction on range confidence and validating/testing the EA network with Darren Palmer is General Manager Battery Electric Vehicles at Ford. 35:15 minutes in for 10 minutes.
Thank you for sharing that. This is what Ford can bring to the table. They know how people use trucks. They are thinking about how truck people can make the transition to EVs and using innovative software to make it happen. I am thrilled to see EV innovation outside of Tesla. This only makes everyone's vehicles better.

Great stuff about trailers estimates but they keep on saying biggest charging network in America bc they include all the slow chargers that are not reliable and not ideal for use on the long trip. I hope they would stop using this nonsense corporate advertising. People will get stuck or hate the experience so much that they will switch to Tesla or back to ICE.

Yet they are still ripping people off by taking deposits for products that don’t exist.
I don't know of anyone who has put deposits down and couldn't get them back or got what they were promised. They are deposits because the products don't exist yet and folks want them so badly, they're willing to pay to get in line and vote with their pocketbooks. Nobody is ever forced to put money down on something that doesn't exist.
I don't see why you're whining like somebody has done you wrong. If you don't like Tesla, just go back to your ICE and be happy.