Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup and after thoroughly looking at the Mach-E and test driving it I changed my mind..... imagine that....

BTW, I'm a "FanBoy" of every manufacturer that produces cars, I don't stick to just one brand..... ready for production is "Pre-Production", this is exactly what I mean, CT apologist want to make it seem like both the Lightning and CT are on the same Production track when that is not the case AT ALL. If you want to call the CT "Pre-Production" then go ahead, it'll be in "Pre-Production" for at least 2 more years. Meanwhile, you can place your order for the "Pre-Production" F150 Lightning on October 26th or just order your Rivian right now. When the CT is actually ready to come out in 2023 then maybe I can turn my reservation into an order. Until then the F-150 Lightning is the truck that's here right now.

*** yes I have a CT Reservation also*** "What a turn of events Jimmy, the "Fan Boy" has a CT Reservation" 🤣
Why so angry?

Biggest drawback in the general sense is no supercharger network. However, I would only want a truck for hauling around town, so in the case of a truck, I'm in a unique situation where I don't care about long range charging network. What I do care about is bed size, and I bet Ford only offers a short bed. And that will nix it for me. If I'm wrong, and they offer a standard bed or long bed option, it will be VERY tempting over the Cybertruck.

We currently share a 1990 Ford F-150 in the family for hauling needs. Despite it's age, it still runs good. No working A/C of course. I doubt any car in the world older than 2000 has working A/C; the A/C systems in older cars were seemingly designed to fail and be unrepairable. Whenever a suitable EV truck is realistic, we will replace the old F-150. Until then, the old F-150 keeps on trucking.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Biggest drawback in the general sense is no supercharger network. However, I would only want a truck for hauling around town, so in the case of a truck, I'm in a unique situation where I don't care about long range charging network. What I do care about is bed size, and I bet Ford only offers a short bed. And that will nix it for me. If I'm wrong, and they offer a standard bed or long bed option, it will be VERY tempting over the Cybertruck.

We currently share a 1990 Ford F-150 in the family for hauling needs. Despite it's age, it still runs good. No working A/C of course. I doubt any car in the world older than 2000 has working A/C; the A/C systems in older cars were seemingly designed to fail and be unrepairable.

From what I’ve read and heard at these Lightning Events only the short bed will be offered. A lot of ICE truck owners are complaining about the same thing.

Not sure which vehicle you were referring to but my understanding is that the Ford will use the electrify america network. To the best of my knowledge that is a pretty broad network but not the most reliable and more expensive than Tesla's. Rivian is building their own network but their map of "planned" coverage doesn't even let you see what chargers exist today.

As for bed length my understanding is that an overwhelming number of truck sales are now 4 door, short bed (though I don't have any facts to back that up...would appreciate any real information anyone has to confirm or contradict). From what I have seen the F150 has a 5.5 foot bed and the CT has a 6.5 foot bed. Personally I'd actually prefer an even shorter bed as I want whatever truck I end up with to fit in the garage.

Yup and after thoroughly looking at the Mach-E and test driving it I changed my mind..... imagine that....

BTW, I'm a "FanBoy" of every manufacturer that produces cars, I don't stick to just one brand..... ready for production is "Pre-Production", this is exactly what I mean, CT apologist want to make it seem like both the Lightning and CT are on the same Production track when that is not the case AT ALL. If you want to call the CT "Pre-Production" then go ahead, it'll be in "Pre-Production" for at least 2 more years. Meanwhile, you can place your order for the "Pre-Production" F150 Lightning on October 26th or just order your Rivian right now. When the CT is actually ready to come out in 2023 then maybe I can turn my reservation into an order. Until then the F-150 Lightning is the truck that's here right now.

*** yes I have a CT Reservation also*** "What a turn of events Jimmy, the "Fan Boy" has a CT Reservation" 🤣
Well said. Again.

Lmao….. Some Tesla Fans are truly delusional….

“sub-par creature comforts” while just avoiding talking about the CT Osh Kosh Interior or the elephant in the room…. The CT hasn’t been proven it can haul, off-road, tow trailers or even exist…. And the kicker? The R1T will be for “wine tasting” lmao…. All of a sudden Tesla Fans don’t want to raise their pinky finger when taking a sip 🤣

lol. yup.

never mind that we have full specs for a production R1T (over 310 miles of range *with* 4 (!) motors and extremely good offroad capability) and Ford has released specs and production design/ features of the Lightning with starting prices for all 3 trim levels. 10k towing and 2k lbs of payload is more than most will ever need. Tesla can *claim* higher payload and towing but unlike the R1T or Lightning it won't hit the road in 2022 ... (or maybe even not 2023)
You guys crack me up! LOL. Pretty clearly you have never driven a "commercial oriented" Ford truck. "Subpar creature comforts" define those rather well. And no, I don't think you'll see many R1Ts out off roading. I'm sure it would be great at it, but very few people spend that kind of money on a rig and then thrash it. Will some owners? Sure. Will sightings of R1Ts getting thrashed be as common as unicorn sightings? Maybe not quite that bad, but close. I've been off roading for 40 years and never once have I seen an expensive Range Rover pushing through brush or crawling through the rocks, yet they make very capable vehicles. So yeah, R1Ts are going to be mainly driven gently. And the lightning? If it's built at all like the Mach-e it's going to be broken down a lot. These are simple facts boys, sorry you don't like them. And Texas, you've not done much towing, huh? 10K pounds of trailer is going to have close to 2K of weight offsetting payload. Hmmm, not much left for the driver and passengers huh? You think 2K pound payload is sufficient for a serious truck? Seriously? You don't have any idea what a yard of gravel weighs, do you? Hint: too much for the Lightning. Hell, the Lightning can't even carry a yard of dirt. Yeah, useful truck that.

You guys crack me up! LOL. Pretty clearly you have never driven a "commercial oriented" Ford truck. "Subpar creature comforts" define those rather well. And no, I don't think you'll see many R1Ts out off roading. I'm sure it would be great at it, but very few people spend that kind of money on a rig and then thrash it. Will some owners? Sure. Will sightings of R1Ts getting thrashed be as common as unicorn sightings? Maybe not quite that bad, but close. I've been off roading for 40 years and never once have I seen an expensive Range Rover pushing through brush or crawling through the rocks, yet they make very capable vehicles. So yeah, R1Ts are going to be mainly driven gently. And the lightning? If it's built at all like the Mach-e it's going to be broken down a lot. These are simple facts boys, sorry you don't like them. And Texas, you've not done much towing, huh? 10K pounds of trailer is going to have close to 2K of weight offsetting payload. Hmmm, not much left for the driver and passengers huh? You think 2K pound payload is sufficient for a serious truck? Seriously? You don't have any idea what a yard of gravel weighs, do you? Hint: too much for the Lightning. Hell, the Lightning can't even carry a yard of dirt. Yeah, useful truck that.
yup ... the F150 Lightning will break down a lot because Ford clearly has ZERO experience on how to engineer and build a durable and reliable truck ... it's not like the F Series is their bread & butter and company flagship where they pour in the overwhelming majority of resources

yup ... the F150 Lightning will break down a lot because Ford clearly has ZERO experience on how to engineer and build a durable and reliable truck ... it's not like the F Series is their bread & butter and company flagship where they pour in the overwhelming majority of resources
I mean he has a point, we've all seen videos and pictures of the CT tow......oh wait...... we have a rendering

Tesla-Cybertruck-towing-trailer-700x364.jpeg

All joking aside, a large percentage buying the CT, Lightning or any EV Truck will hardly do any towing. Although out of all of them the CT will have the advantage when it comes to towing long distance because of the SC network.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I mean he has a point, we've all seen videos and pictures of the CT tow......oh wait...... we have a rendering

View attachment 716664

All joking aside, a large percentage buying the CT, Lightning or any EV Truck will hardly do any towing. Although out of all of them the CT will have the advantage when it comes to towing long distance because of the SC network.
I tow stuff as needed, but it's generally not much. I towed a dump trailer in the last couple of weeks, and I've towed an auger a few months before that. It's rare, but very nice to have when you suddenly need it.

Last edited:
I tow stuff as needed, but it's generally not much. I towed a dump trailer in the last couple of weeks, and I've towed an auger a few months before that. It's rare, but very nice to have when you suddenly need it.
if you *regularly* tow in excess of 10k lbs and farther than 100 miles... you might want to get a Diesel SuperDuty / Sierra HD / Silverado HD anyway ... i dont think any electric truck will tow 10k+ lbs very far. that being said - most full size truck owners never tow anything and the tow specs are the typical bragging rights contest among the big 3 truck manufacturers

The F150 Lightening will look like an F150 ICE but is drastically different where it counts.
That's what's important about it isn't it?

I very much hope you are right. Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong on this. Maybe Ford will do better with the Lightning than they did with the Mach-e. The thing is, the Mach-e thermal system is going to be so prone to expensive maintenance, it's hard to believe that the engineers who did a great job on other parts of the car screwed the pooch so bad on the thermal system. I'd have to guess that the engineers were more than capable of doing a better job than building a thermal system with 35 hoses all with sub par connections. It's almost like it was designed to have leaks that would be very, very expensive to fix after the warranty ran out--which is about how long those hose connections last before they start having leaks occasionally. It seems more reasonable to assume that the system was designed that way on purpose. Ford needed to get their dealers on board with EVs--dealers who make the bulk of their money from service. So they built the Mach-e to be expensive to maintain. That's just my opinion, but it sure covers the facts. Given that, It seems likely the Lightning will have similar issues.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see the Lightning be a great choice for those who want a very light duty pick up. I want EVs to succeed. The Mach-e was not a very good first step, maybe the Lightning will be better. We'll have to wait for the Sandy Munro teardown to see. I think the Lightning will be crap, but I will be happily surprised to be proven wrong.

All of that said, my original point stands: the Lightning is not competition for the Cyber Truck. It's a light duty street queen pick up. That's fine if that's what you want out of a truck. The CT will be much more than that for people who want more than that. The R1T looks to be a great alternative to the tri-motor CT if you want a very light duty truck. With a 1760 pound payload it's not much good for doing much work, hence the wine-tasting comments. You can't even put a half a yard of gravel in the thing. So yeah, very nice if you don't plan on using it like a truck. The mid and lower priced CTs will be the ones that gets used like a truck out of all of these rigs. The Tri-motor will be capable, but why spend the extra money for things a truck needs to do. (Unless you need the extra range or towing capacity.)

Lastly, none of these trucks will compete against each other--they all fill a different niche. They'll be competing against ICE trucks in the same niche.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
I also tow... 3,500lb boat, about 5mi to the ramp and back. Salt water use, but shouldn't be a problem with the SS body of the CT and always a full rinse with garden hose back at the house.
Get a sprinkler to really soak down the under carriage after backing into salt water. I've got 250,000 miles on a '92 Blazer that has seen LOTS of salt water and driving on salty sand. Not a spot of rust on that truck. Never wait, always do the soaking as soon as you get home so the salt doesn't get too dry. Backing into a fresh water source on the way home also helps a bunch.

• Helpful
Reactions: NY_Rob and AquaY
Get a sprinkler to really soak down the under carriage after backing into salt water. I've got 250,000 miles on a '92 Blazer that has seen LOTS of salt water and driving on salty sand. Not a spot of rust on that truck. Never wait, always do the soaking as soon as you get home so the salt doesn't get too dry. Backing into a fresh water source on the way home also helps a bunch.
I never thought of that!
What a great idea