Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specific vehicles aside, I find it curious that ALL major vehicle manufacturers are talking about going all-electric.
That in the face of still-overwhelming public disinterest in EVs, lack of sufficient charging networks, etc.

Can't quite tell if it's a "digital takes over film photography" revolution (I was at Kodak when the decision was made turning the most-recognized-brand-worldwide into miles of bulldozed fields), or a "all other TV makers are going 3D, so we'd better too" management fad (almost couldn't get a non-3D TV at one point, don't think you can even get a 3D TV if you want one now).

Methinks the mass production vehicle market will switch to all-electric save for a few niches, and will do so rather abruptly via customer demand shift, but there's something about how manufacturers are trying to get ahead of that curve seemingly too soon.

Specific vehicles aside, I find it curious that ALL major vehicle manufacturers are talking about going all-electric.
That in the face of still-overwhelming public disinterest in EVs, lack of sufficient charging networks, etc.

EV sales are skyrocketing, ICE sales are plummeting. 98% of people that have driven an EV want one. Etc, etc. It's fairly obvious that ICE sales are doomed. Any manufacturer that fails to take appropriate action will disappear. Hence the bailout money from the Biden Administration to manufacturers and labor unions that both were slow to see this and have generously lined politician's pockets. You can call it an "EV incentive" that doesn't change the fact that it's a bailout. EVs will dominate sales well before the end of the decade regardless of any incentive

EV sales are skyrocketing, ICE sales are plummeting. 98% of people that have driven an EV want one. Etc, etc. It's fairly obvious that ICE sales are doomed. Any manufacturer that fails to take appropriate action will disappear. Hence the bailout money from the Biden Administration to manufacturers and labor unions that both were slow to see this and have generously lined politician's pockets. You can call it an "EV incentive" that doesn't change the fact that it's a bailout. EVs will dominate sales well before the end of the decade regardless of any incentive
Don’t now about dominance since the prices are still way too high. But it is good that electric revolution is driven but thinking populace.

Well does anyone know an ICE owner that likes wasting time at smelly gas stations touching germ laden pump handles and paying $4-$5/gallon gas with no end in sight?

That might have something to to with increased interest in EV's.....
Once my parents drove my M3, they said they bought their last Cadillac and had a MY in their driveway 2 months later.

The only advantage ICE cars have is speed of refueling. So yeah, get one for your cannonball run. Otherwise, EV is always the way to go.

"Speed of refueling" Right. I never go to a gas station at all. We charge about once a week. If we drove a lot more we could charge every night kinda like a large phone. No real penalty unless you like going to a gas station for the atmosphere.

To the Lightning, since Tesla is opening their charge network and the L will do V2H, I'll get one if the CT does not do V2H.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'm curious what the cost of a V2H installation is going to be. We have Powerwalls, and there was quite a bit involved in getting this done.
Yes. It seems people think with ford, they will just drive their new truck home, plug their truck into their house and then it magically keeps the lights on with no other effort. The uptake on this will most likely be quite minimal once people see the costs of wiring the house to do so. The ROI will take a long time….if ever for those that do.

I plan on just using the power outlet from my Cybertruck to plug in a fridge or lights as needed. I can handle doing that once in a while. In the last 22 years of living where I do, plugging into the house directly would have been nice….once. If I consistently had power issues, I’d buy a power wall because I’d want the power to stay on if I wasn’t home.

So yeah, get one for your cannonball run. Otherwise, EV is always the way to go.
yeah, not so much. I've driven 1170 miles in one day in a Model 3 as I was driving solo from the eastern Virginia shore to Los Angeles in 3 days (I arrived in time for a 5:00 pm meeting near LAX).
Unless you're doing a pee-in-a-bottle, sleep-in-shifts, custom-extra-large-gas-tank type of Cannonball run, a Tesla actually isn't too bad.

Well does anyone know an ICE owner that likes wasting time at smelly gas stations touching germ laden pump handles and paying $4-$5/gallon gas with no end in sight?

That might have something to to with increased interest in EV's.....
I have a RAM1500 as well as MY. Friday was the first time I filled up the RAM since getting my MY in March 2021.
I actually laughed thinking about what a nuisance filling up at a gas station was compared to plugging in my MY at home

yeah, not so much. I've driven 1170 miles in one day in a Model 3 as I was driving solo from the eastern Virginia shore to Los Angeles in 3 days (I arrived in time for a 5:00 pm meeting near LAX).
Unless you're doing a pee-in-a-bottle, sleep-in-shifts, custom-extra-large-gas-tank type of Cannonball run, a Tesla actually isn't too bad.
Is that not how you do your cannonball runs?

I have a RAM1500 as well as MY. Friday was the first time I filled up the RAM since getting my MY in March 2021.
I actually laughed thinking about what a nuisance filling up at a gas station was compared to plugging in my MY at home
I love when ICE people say "I can't be bothered plugging in every night".. well, with 300+ mile range you don't plug in every night, and if you set up your EVSE properly to make it easy to access, it's literally a 15 second process.

The last three times I filled my kid's car with gas.. I had problems:
-One pump didn't accept Debit cards- had to wait for an opening and move to another pump
-The receipt printer didn't work- had to go to the shack and ask the attendant for a paper receipt
-One pump charged me the CC price for fuel because the pump thought my Debit card was a Credit card- SOL there.. no way to get my extra $0.15/gallon back- so I donated $1.50 to big oil :mad:

Quite literally a waste of time and money, I don't miss gas stations even one bit!

I love when ICE people say "I can't be bothered plugging in every night".. well, with 300+ mile range you don't plug in every night, and if you set up your EVSE properly to make it easy to access, it's literally a 15 second process.

-One pump didn't accept Debit cards- had to wait for an opening and move to another pump
-The receipt printer didn't work- had to go to the shack and ask the attendant for a paper receipt
-One pump charged me the CC price for fuel because the pump thought my Debit card was a Credit card- SOL there.. no way to get my extra $0.15/gallon back- so I donated $1.50 to big oil :mad:

Quite literally a waste of time and money, I don't miss gas stations even one bit!
Same. I charge off a 120v so I plug in every night and it's still not a big deal. I also plug in my cellphone and laptop every night. ...and I hear you on gas stations. For some reason, it's always a coin flip if the gas station will take my card or not. Also, I live in a nice area, but some of the gas stations where I work are sketch. I always hated filling up and being accosted by people asking for money Just for them to spit on me and kick my car when I say no... Not to mention the murder that happened at one near work. I'm just fine never going to a gas station again.

Reactions: WhiteWi

Don't forget the pleasure of having your card skimmed so that thieves can steal your money, or simply standing outside in the cold while pumping your gas.