Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is a great selling point myself.
I imagine you need an inverter and a transfer switch. Unless it can be wired to feed into your home battery somehow.
An inverter converts DC to AC. If one uses a 240V AC (There has not been 115/230V service in North America since 1950) outlet, it could connect directly onto the main panel, but code would require a safety interlock to disconnect from the grid first.

Pipe Dream. Not as easy as it looks. During a storm and loss of power, it would probably be easier and cheaper to stay at a hotel with power or use a generator (IMHO). And the risk of a BIG problem is great (damage the fuse box, the truck or the grid or all).

The problem with powering from the truck is likely that the neutral and ground are bonded in the truck AS WELL as in the house. Neutral and ground should only be bonded once. His generator (which works with the house) is likely unbonded. The bonding of the neutral and ground in the truck is correct and proper for powering tools in the field but not good for powering the house which is already bonded. There needs to be a way to unbond the neutral and ground in the truck for it to power the house.

Pipe Dream. Not as easy as it looks. During a storm and loss of power, it would probably be easier and cheaper to stay at a hotel with power or use a generator (IMHO). And the risk of a BIG problem is great (damage the fuse box, the truck or the grid or all).

The problem with powering from the truck is likely that the neutral and ground are bonded in the truck AS WELL as in the house. Neutral and ground should only be bonded once. His generator (which works with the house) is likely unbonded. The bonding of the neutral and ground in the truck is correct and proper for powering tools in the field but not good for powering the house which is already bonded. There needs to be a way to unbond the neutral and ground in the truck for it to power the house.
I didn't watch the video, but I am assuming with the thumbnail shot of him holding a bunch of adapters, that this person tried to use the 240V outlet with a "suicide" (male-male) plug to feed his house? Yes, this is stupid.

The Ford "Wall Connector" will have the appropriate wiring to do this safely. Yes, you will need a switch to isolate the grid and possibly moving breakers and such around to have a separate "essentials" panel. But you need the same stuff if you install Powerwalls or a dedicated generator.

Delivery date moved back to Sept/2022 for now. I thought Ford was going to be better than Rivian at planning, scheduling, and forcasting. Potential customers will be spending another ~1 year watching reviews and marketing videos.

Delivery date moved back to Sept/2022 for now. I thought Ford was going to be better than Rivian at planning, scheduling, and forcasting. Potential customers will be spending another ~1 year watching reviews and marketing videos.

"I thought Ford was going to be better than Rivian at planning, scheduling, and forecasting."

Maybe they could speed it up by buying Bolt battery packs from GM? :)

Ford... yikes!

So, once again it seems Rivian will be first to deliver Pickup Trucks to paying customers.

Keep an eye on Ford stock today :oops:

its going to be "Production Hell" for anyone. Ford only knows how to tweak an existing product line (how long has the F150 been in production?).
Full line changes are hell but nobody outside of the manufacturers cares with most vehicles since they are just re-runs of existing ones. The automakers simply keep selling the previous models until they get the bugs worn out. The public never sees the turmoil.
The Japanese (and Koreans) even take it a step further by only selling in Japan (or Korea) for at least 2 years or until all of the infant-mortality issues are resolved. Again, nobody really cares since most of their cars are just copies of previous models which are evolved from copies of US or European models.

Reactions: mark95476
Rivian seems to have most of the bugs worked out at this point with their finalized R1T production model.

Now they just have to mass produce them!

I would wager that if the current CT design was truely the "final production version" that somehow Tesla would be producing them somewhere. Maybe another tent or even tent city, but they would be producing them.

Reactions: TessP100D
My guess is that it is supply chain. There's nothing revolutionary about building an EV. Tesla struggles because they try to reinvent the wheel every time. I'm guessing the line and everything will be ready on time but that they can't get batteries or some other component(s) that they need. I will give props to Elon on bringing battery production in-house. Relying on outside vendors for packs will be the long pole for all of these manufacturers.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
There's nothing revolutionary about building an EV.
As Sandy has pointed out, retooling an entire factory is non-trivial. It requires gobs of cash for re-engineering, re-tooling, re-training, etc. Not only that, but the shift in mentality at all levels doesn’t happen overnight especially with so many executives invested in their current line of ICE’s that they don’t want to cannibalize. I think Ford is slowly realizing how monumental this task is. At some point they’ll realize that convincing their dealer network to get onboard with EV’s is also non-trivial and very time consuming.

Lucid's CEO stated "Production Hell" only exists at Tesla. I think they refer it to as something else at other manufacturers.

its going to be "Production Hell" for anyone. Ford only knows how to tweak an existing product line (how long has the F150 been in production?).
Full line changes are hell but nobody outside of the manufacturers cares with most vehicles since they are just re-runs of existing ones. The automakers simply keep selling the previous models until they get the bugs worn out. The public never sees the turmoil.
The Japanese (and Koreans) even take it a step further by only selling in Japan (or Korea) for at least 2 years or until all of the infant-mortality issues are resolved. Again, nobody really cares since most of their cars are just copies of previous models which are evolved from copies of US or European models.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
How sound before others add the truck 'PowerWall'?

rEs02RB.jpg

Nice idea, but not many kwh in reserve. In Florida, we do the opposite. A better option is to install a transfer switch with a Honda generator. That way, the house has an abundance of emergency power AND, enough to keep my Tesla powered.

Reactions: TessP100D
Lucid's CEO stated "Production Hell" only exists at Tesla. I think they refer it to as something else at other manufacturers.
When Lucid makes anything other than a boutique luxury automobile, I'll consider taking their trash talk more seriously. Tesla didn't have nearly the trouble with the Model S production as they did the Model 3. Its a lot harder and more expensive to make a cheap car than an expensive one.
On the other hand, Peter Rawlinson is truly a guru when it comes to manufacturing so Lucid does have that going for them.

When Lucid makes anything other than a boutique luxury automobile, I'll consider taking their trash talk more seriously. Tesla didn't have nearly the trouble with the Model S production as they did the Model 3. Its a lot harder and more expensive to make a cheap car than an expensive one.
On the other hand, Peter Rawlinson is truly a guru when it comes to manufacturing so Lucid does have that going for them.
Lucid is scam.

• Disagree
Reactions: brucet999