Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This 👆🏼

I tow a boat 2X a year ~ 260 miles each way. There are 3 Superchargers on the route but none have a way for me to pull a truck+boat into charge without being "that guy" who blocks all of the other chargers. So to me regardless of range you have to have a way that someone towing can charge en route. I could unhook the boat near the chargers, charge, then re-attach but what a hassle. I hope the charging infrastructure (Tesla + 3rd party) starts thinking through this as I would love to ditch my ICE truck for a EV one.
Selling my boat in Lake Havasu and trying to map the route from Boulder City using my X as the tow vehicle. What nightmare.

Attachments

• 3FD12C33-98DC-4D4F-9BC0-F74B8FED4EDE.jpeg
    3FD12C33-98DC-4D4F-9BC0-F74B8FED4EDE.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 108
I find it interesting that people compare the CT to anything since it basically doesn’t exist yet. I have a feeling it will be released by the time we see full autonomous driving.
Nothing exists yet except the Rivian right?
So all you can do is compare specs

I was wondering about EV pickups this weekend.
If you wanted to get an EV pickup as quickly as you could which one would be delivered first if you ordered today?
Certainly not the Cyber Truck. I wonder among the other companies Rivian, Ford, Chevy etc and their backorders, which one has the shortest waiting time

If you wanted to get an EV pickup as quickly as you could which one would be delivered first if you ordered today?
Certainly not the Cyber Truck. I wonder among the other companies Rivian, Ford, Chevy etc and their backorders, which one has the shortest waiting time

How much you want to spend? Rivian could probably get one today. I will sell you my June/July Lariatt lightening when it comes in :) if it comes in…

People are now taking delivery of their Lightnings. But chances of getting one now are slim since they closed 2022 preorders.

How much you want to spend? Rivian could probably get one today. I will sell you my June/July Lariatt lightening when it comes in :) if it comes in…
I wasn't talking about used car sales or buying one someone else pre ordered.
I thought I was pretty clear; If you ordered an EV pickup now which would be delivered to you the soonest?

Rivians are back ordered. They have 71,000 reservations and they produced 1015 vehicles and delivered 920 by the end of 2021

I wasn't talking about used car sales or buying one someone else pre ordered.
I thought I was pretty clear; If you ordered an EV pickup now which would be delivered to you the soonest?

Rivians are back ordered. They have 71,000 reservations and they produced 1015 vehicles and delivered 920 by the end of 2021
All EV trucks are 2 years out if ordering now, give or take.

• Helpful
Reactions: AquaY
Certainly not the Cyber Truck.
I’m in the opposite corner. If all were available today the CT is the one I would select. I like the fact that Tesla emphasizes function over form so the style doesn’t bother me, I like the proposed specs, I don’t have to go thru a dealer for sales or service, and I have the SuperCharger network. That’s an unbeatable package.

Reactions: Zorg and Suns_PSD
I’m in the opposite corner. If all were available today the CT is the one I would select. I like the fact that Tesla emphasizes function over form so the style doesn’t bother me, I like the proposed specs, I don’t have to go thru a dealer for sales or service, and I have the SuperCharger network. That’s an unbeatable package.
No buttons where they make sense, No steering wheel for the type of tight maneuvers you need to make when off-road, etc, No center drivers display, No door handles, No built in Sirius XM or navigation. How is this function over form? We'll see what the Cybertruck's final production version turns out to be. The Lightning so far appears to have the functional portions down combined with the new technology.

Reactions: KJD
No buttons where they make sense, No steering wheel for the type of tight maneuvers you need to make when off-road, etc, No center drivers display, No door handles, No built in Sirius XM or navigation. How is this function over form? We'll see what the Cybertruck's final production version turns out to be. The Lightning so far appears to have the functional portions down combined with the new technology.
I agree. I like my model 3 but I don’t think I’d buy another Tesla because function seems to be an afterthought in some areas. Luckily I’m not in the market anytime soon which gives most of these companies a chance to come out with a second generation model.

The point of my curiosity question has nothing to do with quality, cost or preference.
Simply which EV made by any of the Companies with EV pickups out/coming out would be delivered first if ordered today?

In other words, if I were to order every single EV Pick up today from every company making them which would be delivered first.
I'm pretty sure it would not be the Cyber Truck.
Which BTW, is the only EV pickup I've ordered. Actually, I've ordered 2 for all the reasons you stated.

I think anyone ordering the Cyber Truck today will be waiting a long time for delivery because they already have something like over 1 million reservations.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
No built in Sirus XM? Who cares ( I know. You do.) :)
CT will have navigation.
Comparing specs of the Ford it falls short compared to the Cyber Truck.
Of course there are many aspects that people value differently. But comparing specs like range, speed, power, bed capacity, seating capacity, towing capacity etc the Ford falls far short of the Cyber Truck .

Reactions: cybertrucker
No built in Sirus XM? Who cares ( I know. You do.) :)
CT will have navigation.
Comparing specs of the Ford it falls short compared to the Cyber Truck.
Of course there are many aspects that people value differently. But comparing specs like range, speed, power, bed capacity, seating capacity, towing capacity etc the Ford falls far short of the Cyber Truck .
To the best of my knowledge, the final range, speed, power, payload and towing specs haven't been released for the Cybertruck so we don't really know. We also haven't seen actual, real world mileage under different conditions yet for the Lightning, but we will soon. So one can't honestly declare the Lightning falls short.
As far as Sirius XM, it can be had on pretty much any car out there including the cheap ones, and for those who drive a lot, and over long distances (me) it's great. If people didn't use it, the car manufacturers wouldn't be putting it in every car. So this is a function delete. There is also a difference between built in navigation and wireless. I'm in areas with no cell service every week. Seating looks exactly the same; both are essentially crew cabs. Extreme 0-60 in a truck or top end speed means little when driving on public roads. Both should have adequate torque and speed for the highway. For the Lightning we will have real world use data soon. For the Cybertruck that data is still a while away.

To the best of my knowledge, the final range, speed, power, payload and towing specs haven't been released for the Cybertruck so we don't really know. We also haven't seen actual, real world mileage under different conditions yet for the Lightning, but we will soon. So one can't honestly declare the Lightning falls short.
As far as Sirius XM, it can be had on pretty much any car out there including the cheap ones, and for those who drive a lot, and over long distances (me) it's great. If people didn't use it, the car manufacturers wouldn't be putting it in every car. So this is a function delete. There is also a difference between built in navigation and wireless. I'm in areas with no cell service every week. Seating looks exactly the same; both are essentially crew cabs. Extreme 0-60 in a truck or top end speed means little when driving on public roads. Both should have adequate torque and speed for the highway. For the Lightning we will have real world use data soon. For the Cybertruck that data is still a while away.
I have Sirius XM in my RAM. It's okay but IMO it's not really worth what they charge. My friend, like you likes it. To each his own but it amazes me that Sirius XM is a major selling point for you.
As for the Ford versus CT You have to compare Apples to Apples. That's the stated specs from each company.
Apples to Apples.
You use the EPA estimates which are done the same for each vehicle. The specs on the Ford for every main purpose of a truck suck in comparison to the specs of the CT. Except for having Sirius XM of course.

But, towing capacity, seating capacity, bed capacity ( which are all easily seen now with the prototypes) the CT is far superior. Then looking at performance specs the Ford is greatly inferior.
You are more concerned with XM radio than 0-60 performance. I find that strange.
No one I know is in your camp but that's your choice. 0-60 means far more to me.
You will have your Ford before I have my Cyber Truck. Congratulations. I'd rather wait for the superior vehicle

I have Sirius XM in my RAM. It's okay but IMO it's not really worth what they charge. My friend, like you likes it. To each his own but it amazes me that Sirius XM is a major selling point for you.
As for the Ford versus CT You have to compare Apples to Apples. That's the stated specs from each company.
Apples to Apples.
You use the EPA estimates which are done the same for each vehicle. The specs on the Ford for every main purpose of a truck suck in comparison to the specs of the CT. Except for having Sirius XM of course.

But, towing capacity, seating capacity, bed capacity ( which are all easily seen now with the prototypes) the CT is far superior. Then looking at performance specs the Ford is greatly inferior.
You are more concerned with XM radio than 0-60 performance. I find that strange.
No one I know is in your camp but that's your choice. 0-60 means far more to me.
You will have your Ford before I have my Cyber Truck. Congratulations. I'd rather wait for the superior vehicle
funny how you frequently quote "specs" for a truck which isn't even in pre-production / no official production specs/ no price point and no ETA delivery date or even production date ... Tesla is known for just deleting certain product versions and claiming "not needed/ no demand". the Plaid+ would have delivered 500+ miles of range and would have been one of the longest range EVs. would have.... so i wouldn't hold my breath for a 500+miles rated tri motor Cybertruck

There is ZERO chance that the CT will be delivered with the launch specs at the launch price.

The only specs on tesla.com are 3,500lb payload, 14,000lb towing, 2.9 0-60 and UP TO 500 miles of range. So you CANNOT compare the specs of the CT (still in prototype stage with unfinalized design) to the Rivian or F-150, both of which have shipped actual trucks to customers.

Actual pricing and performance of the CT will be very close to the F-150. I do expect them to have a high end model that beats the Hummer but it will be at Hummer pricing (ie 500 miles of range will be over $100k). At that point it will be personal preference as to which one you like better.