Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AquaY
I didn't say performance doesn't matter; of course it does. I said "extreme" 0-60 means little for a public road. However the 0-60 and general acceleration on any EV should be more than adequate. In the Ford Lightning, it's ~4 seconds, which is extremely good for a truck. Let's guess & say the Cybertruck does it in 3 seconds. Does that difference really matter in your daily driving? No, of course not.

@AquaY
I didn't say performance doesn't matter; of course it does. I said "extreme" 0-60 means little for a public road. However the 0-60 and general acceleration on any EV should be more than adequate. In the Ford Lightning, it's ~4 seconds, which is extremely good for a truck. Let's guess & say the Cybertruck does it in 3 seconds. Does that difference really matter in your daily driving? No, of course not.
Agree. Once vehicle accelerates sub 5 seconds 0-60, it's fast enough for every day usage.

There is ZERO chance that the CT will be delivered with the launch specs at the launch price.

The only specs on tesla.com are 3,500lb payload, 14,000lb towing, 2.9 0-60 and UP TO 500 miles of range. So you CANNOT compare the specs of the CT (still in prototype stage with unfinalized design) to the Rivian or F-150, both of which have shipped actual trucks to customers.

Actual pricing and performance of the CT will be very close to the F-150. I do expect them to have a high end model that beats the Hummer but it will be at Hummer pricing (ie 500 miles of range will be over $100k). At that point it will be personal preference as to which one you like better.
100% agreed. and the tow rating is "up to" and definitely negatively correlated to range ;) so if one tows up to 10k lbs and the other up to 14k lbs ... in a real world example you won't do either regularly or at least very far. towing 10k+ lbs regularly just screams the need for a HD full size diesel truck. Anything below incl. those who rarely tow... Lightning/ Rivian and CT will be equally great

funny how you frequently quote "specs" for a truck which isn't even in pre-production / no official production specs/ no price point and no ETA delivery date or even production date ... Tesla is known for just deleting certain product versions and claiming "not needed/ no demand". the Plaid+ would have delivered 500+ miles of range and would have been one of the longest range EVs. would have.... so i wouldn't hold my breath for a 500+miles rated tri motor Cybertruck
Funny how no one has an F150 yet and you act like you have one and know how it performs.
logic seems to escape you . one more time , As of now you have to compare specs that both companies put out. It’s all academic right now .
Personally Ive laughed at Fords for 40 years. Used to race every Friday night in my youth
Found On Road Dead, Fools Only Ride Duds, Fun on Rainy Days. Fix Or Repair Daily….There are reasons we made fun of them.
6 Ford Mach e s all had to be flat bedded home from driving down a steep hill last year in Norway ……. so I wouldn’t hold my breath that the F150 lightening is capable of towing anything or going down a steep hill

Last edited:
So one can't honestly declare the Lightning falls short.
if you are "honest" you can look at the specs each manufacturer has publicized and you will know the Lightning falls short. It is hitting market sooner....but it falls short.
As far as Sirius XM, it can be had on pretty much any car out there including the cheap ones, and for those who drive a lot, and over long distances (me) it's great. If people didn't use it, the car manufacturers wouldn't be putting it in every car.
They put it in almost every car because Sirius XM pays them. That is no reason to choose a car. Even if you MUST have Sirius XM you can buy an antenna and add it yourself (I do this to all my old vehicles that were built before satellite radio was a thing).

Funny how no one has an F150 yet and you act like you have one and know how it performs.
logic seems to escape you . one more time , As of now you have to compare specs that both companies put out. It’s all academic right now .
Personally Ive laughed at Fords for 40 years. Used to race every Friday night in my youth
Found On Road Dead, Fools Only Ride Duds, Fun on Rainy Days. Fix Or Repair Daily….There are reasons we made fun of them.
6 Ford Mach e s all had to be flat bedded home from driving down a steep hill last year in Norway ……. so I wouldn’t hold my breath that the F150 lightening is capable of towing anything or going down a steep hill
nobody has the truck ... so i guess i just imagined the countless in person tests from various youtubers these days...

if you are "honest" you can look at the specs each manufacturer has publicized and you will know the Lightning falls short. It is hitting market sooner....but it falls short.

They put it in almost every car because Sirius XM pays them. That is no reason to choose a car. Even if you MUST have Sirius XM you can buy an antenna and add it yourself (I do this to all my old vehicles that were built before satellite radio was a thing).
please point me to the official specs for the Cybertruck regarding:

- EPA tested range by motor configuration
- payload and towing by motor configuration
- price starting by motor configuration

all three above are available for the F150 Lightning and the Rivian R1T ...

Towing Specs:
1651770443157.png

please point me to the official specs for the Cybertruck regarding:

- EPA tested range by motor configuration
- payload and towing by motor configuration
- price starting by motor configuration

all three above are available for the F150 Lightning and the Rivian R1T ...

You are asking a foolish question because no matter what someone answers you will whine "it's not official because it doesn't exist yet".

You will have the legitimate ability to whine your whine from the day of the first F150 Lightning delivery (happening soon) until the day of the first Cybertruck delivery (not happening soon). Enjoy your free foolish whining period because when it's over, it's over!

You are asking a foolish question because no matter what someone answers you will whine "it's not official because it doesn't exist yet".

You will have the legitimate ability to whine your whine from the day of the first F150 Lightning delivery (happening soon) until the day of the first Cybertruck delivery (not happening soon). Enjoy your free foolish whining period because when it's over, it's over!

for now the Cybertruck is as real as the Model S Plaid+ with 500 miles of range or the Tesla Semi or the Roadster 2. You cannot claim that Rivian R1T and F150 Lightning are "falling short" against a truck which doesn't exist and likely won't hit the roads for another 2+ yrs. Sorry.

In the next couple weeks, we should see a bunch of Youtube reviews on the F150 EV. It'll be nice to get some real life feedback.
That's exactly the information I'm looking for. What will be the actual range at highway speed (unladen), how does towing different loads at different speeds affect range, etc. Some folks appear to be emotionally tied to a machine one way or the other. I'm definitely not, and I'm not committing a large amount of my hard earned money to any truck until I see some real world data. The next few days & weeks will be very informative as this data starts to come in.

That's exactly the information I'm looking for. What will be the actual range at highway speed (unladen), how does towing different loads at different speeds affect range, etc. Some folks appear to be emotionally tied to a machine one way or the other. I'm definitely not, and I'm not committing a large amount of my hard earned money to any truck until I see some real world data. The next few days & weeks will be very informative as this data starts to come in.
I'm waiting for Out of Specs review. Kyle C. is the most thorough unbiased reviewer out there.