Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the graphic showing F-Series blue boxes (states). Wild ratio.

Via: The Best Selling Vehicles in America, By State

The-Best-Selling-Cars-in-America-By-State-Full.jpg

Has TFL done a towing test with one? The only videos that I can find just talk about the truck. I'm interested in seeing reviews such as towing and use at the jobsite. The different tools you can plug in and use at the same time. Running small as well as large air compressors. Can you run 220v items as well as 120v items at the same time

for now the Cybertruck is as real as the Model S Plaid+ with 500 miles of range or the Tesla Semi or the Roadster 2. You cannot claim that Rivian R1T and F150 Lightning are "falling short" against a truck which doesn't exist and likely won't hit the roads for another 2+ yrs. Sorry.

You proved my point exactly! You are just playing a fool's game where your answer will always be "it doesn't exist yet so I win, nana nana nana!"

I have fully acknowledged that the F150 Lightning will hit the market first in tiny numbers. I have also acknowledged that it will be awhile before the Cybertruck makes its way to customers.

• Disagree
Reactions: AquaY and Doc Brown
Has TFL done a towing test with one? The only videos that I can find just talk about the truck. I'm interested in seeing reviews such as towing and use at the jobsite. The different tools you can plug in and use at the same time. Running small as well as large air compressors. Can you run 220v items as well as 120v items at the same time
There's apparently a driving review embargo until the 11th. I guess they wanted to give people a week for testing without being scooped by a day one "just started driving for five minutes and here's my thoughts!" type thing.

The 1st drive review by Out of Spec Reviews is very detailed, long, and worthwhile to watch (the last video above). The more I learn of the "home electric backup" option, the more interesting I find that function. The F-150 looks to be a worthy option as a daily driver & work truck. It remains to be seen if it will be practical for road trips or longer distance towing. That data is still to come. The long DC charge time from 20-80% at about 40 minutes is certainly a negative, but that is true of all EVs.

[update: added this one from Alex on Auto
-- clearly knows the Ford products WELL
-- excellent on the comparison to the existing F150s - eg what thee same so existing accessories work. Bed, running board, cab, ...]
yeah. looks like Ford did a home-run. the incredibly quiet motors without any whine and very quiet interior sound levels while offering immense torque sound great. charging curve is ok - at least it seems to hold 150kw+ nicely for a long time. My guess is that Ford might increase charging speeds down the road once they have collected enough data points - they are likely conservative given that truck owners expect their vehicles to last for years and years without repairs or needing a new pack after 8+ yrs.

I really like Teslas and will almost certainly buy the CT. However, the legacy manufacturers are not nearly as fast and loose with quality control, long term reliability, FSD, etc. as Tesla has historically been. Of course the R&D numbers prove that Tesla certainly spends money on developing product, so no complaints there.

I'm glad that Tesla has had these years to refine their processes and improve so much while they essentially had the EV market uncontested. If early Teslas had been compared to the latest EVs from the legacy manufacturers like the new Lightning, they would not have been seen as favorably, imo.

The Lightning is great because utilizing so many ICE components has driven cost for the base version very low. For me personally, just like the ICE F150, it's not an appealing truck. If I owned a local pest control/ landscaping/ parts delivery/ etc. company I would buy the base Lightning for certain. However as a consumer shopping for personal use, the Lightning would personally be my last choice. That's primarily because it looks and performs much too similar to just an electrified ICE F150.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I really like Teslas and will almost certainly buy the CT. However, the legacy manufacturers are not nearly as fast and loose with quality control, long term reliability, FSD, etc. as Tesla has historically been. Of course the R&D numbers prove that Tesla certainly spends money on developing product, so no complaints there.

I'm glad that Tesla has had these years to refine their processes and improve so much while they essentially had the EV market uncontested. If early Teslas had been compared to the latest EVs from the legacy manufacturers like the new Lightning, they would not have been seen as favorably, imo.

The Lightning is great because utilizing so many ICE components has driven cost for the base version very low. For me personally, just like the ICE F150, it's not an appealing truck. If I owned a local pest control/ landscaping/ parts delivery/ etc. company I would buy the base Lightning for certain. However as a consumer shopping for personal use, the Lightning would personally be my last choice. That's primarily because it looks and performs much too similar to just an electrified ICE F150.
don't disagree. but the "it looks and performs much too similar to just an electrified ICE F150" was probably key for Ford.... the trusted and proven F150 with a kick-ass powertrain/ insane hp and torque. probably exactly what 90%+ of traditional truck buyers want. I personally would take the R1T due to slightly smaller footprint in the garage and air suspension. unless Ford would open up the base model to be configured with the large batter pack and price it under $55k.

I'm still not sure if the Cybertruck will win over the more traditional truck buyers when you have the F150 Lightning / Rivian and also Silverado EV out - plus by 2026 we might have the VW Scout pick up truck. Design wise it's just very very polarizing and the added features over the competitor trucks remain to be seen.

yeah. looks like Ford did a home-run. the incredibly quiet motors without any whine and very quiet interior sound levels while offering immense torque sound great. charging curve is ok - at least it seems to hold 150kw+ nicely for a long time. My guess is that Ford might increase charging speeds down the road once they have collected enough data points - they are likely conservative given that truck owners expect their vehicles to last for years and years without repairs or needing a new pack after 8+ yrs.
I would be in that camp in terms of battery reliability. I'd also like to know if battery sections can be replaced verses an entire pack, so a failing cell doesn't create a massive loss. I'd also like to know the current pack replacement cost.

I would be in that camp in terms of battery reliability. I'd also like to know if battery sections can be replaced verses an entire pack, so a failing cell doesn't create a massive loss. I'd also like to know the current pack replacement cost.
I don't have a cite to a specific video because I watched a bunch of these last night, but one video mentioned that the pack drops out with 8 bolts, and then can be serviced at the cell level, apparently. Dunno what the cost of that service would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
Unclear if this is a real advantage tho. We had section 3 replaced on our '11 Volt under warranty and now it's voltage for those cells are always too high or too low when I look at it with a app and OBDII reader. They "balance out" at the top end when charging. Not sure if that just makes the charging time (and losses) longer each night now.

Unclear if this is a real advantage tho. We had section 3 replaced on our '11 Volt under warranty and now it's voltage for those cells are always too high or too low when I look at it with a app and OBDII reader. They "balance out" at the top end when charging. Not sure if that just makes the charging time (and losses) longer each night now.
I'd assume the total battery pack capacity would be limited by the degraded capacity of lowest section, and the software would handle this. That I would be okay with if I can replace a failing cell/section at a lower cost, and get longer life out of the truck. As we've seen with the Volts, replacing the entire pack can be a tough financial cost.

I'd also like to know the current pack replacement cost.
Since the bulk of replacements aren't likely to happen for nearly a decade, it is impossible to actually know pricing at this time. Increased economy of scale, raw materials, tech breakthroughs and improvements, introduction of after-market competition, inflation, greedy management (eg. planned obsolescence), etc will all have huge affect on replacement pack prices. The best one might be able to know would be the base cost today and add some assumed profit/overhead estimate.

Reactions: Solor and Suns_PSD
Since the bulk of replacements aren't likely to happen for nearly a decade, it is impossible to actually know pricing at this time. Increased economy of scale, raw materials, tech breakthroughs and improvements, introduction of after-market competition, inflation, greedy management (eg. planned obsolescence), etc will all have huge affect on replacement pack prices. The best one might be able to know would be the base cost today and add some assumed profit/overhead estimate.
Assume the battery was damaged in a road accident and needs replaced. Ford should be able to give you this pricing data. As far as what may be in the future, we've been burned there before, so I prefer to make decisions on what the prices are today.