Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume the battery was damaged in a road accident and needs replaced. Ford should be able to give you this pricing data. As far as what may be in the future, we've been burned there before, so I prefer to make decisions on what the prices are today.
Yes, but the price today is totally artificial. They will charge whatever they think the market will bear, balancing warranty finance games, assumption that insurance has deep pockets, reputation hit to them, etc.
The Volt is a good example as GM really didn't care and there was such a small market that no 3rd party solutions developed. If Ford adopts that attitude the price will be high as they make a big profit. If they decide they really need the Lightning in order to be competitive, the price will be closer to the actual cost.

Nothing exists yet except the Rivian right?
So all you can do is compare specs

I was wondering about EV pickups this weekend.
If you wanted to get an EV pickup as quickly as you could which one would be delivered first if you ordered today?
Certainly not the Cyber Truck. I wonder among the other companies Rivian, Ford, Chevy etc and their backorders, which one has the shortest waiting time
I would and have been waiting on Tesla’s truck, while traveling, talking to other EV uses of different brands, the charging networt for any other product is subpar and nightmarish.

I would and have been waiting on Tesla’s truck, while traveling, talking to other EV uses of different brands, the charging networt for any other product is subpar and nightmarish.
all depends on your driving habits... 95%+ of my driving is within a 100+ mile radius and easily within daily charging overnight in my garage. for those 95%+ of trips the SC network or EA wouldn't matter. for the remaining 5% of roadtrips - i strongly prefer SCs... but EA wouldn't be a deal breaker once they have closed the gaps in the map

Reactions: SmartElectric
all depends on your driving habits... 95%+ of my driving is within a 100+ mile radius and easily within daily charging overnight in my garage. for those 95%+ of trips the SC network or EA wouldn't matter. for the remaining 5% of roadtrips - i strongly prefer SCs... but EA wouldn't be a deal breaker once they have closed the gaps in the map
I tow a boat 🚤 so charging would be a nightmare with the current range of the F150e. Fingers crossed Elon doesn’t reduce the mileage on the CYBRTRK.

Reactions: AquaY
i doubt you'll see a 500 miles rated cybertruck anytime soon... most likely exactly like the F150 with +/- 300 miles rated and as advertised when Tesla mentioned the AWD Cybertruck specs.
If the Cyber truck doesn't have 500 mile range +/- then it will be a failure. A truck is a tool built for a specific purpose. What GM and ford are making are SUVs with big trunks.

Those of us who use a truck as a truck, to tow and haul, need to have a reasonable range when towing and hauling. That is where the vehicle should be designed around or do not call it a truck. It is useless to anyone to have a truck that can tow a boat 150 miles on a charge. That is a 75 mile circle around my home for lakes. I do not care about super chargers because you do not have an hour to charge up each way. Driving an hour and charging an hour is NOT acceptable to anyone.

If Tesla can not supply a fully EV that can do this then they need to supply an option where a Honda 8,000W generator can be locked in the bed when needed and a range extending mode can be initiated when towing or hauling. Not something needed all the time, but when we need to tow 250 miles round trip there needs to be an option. This would extend the range about 16 miles for every hour on the road. Not huge but enough especially if you can let it run a couple hours at the destination.

Anything less than 250 miles towing and you are missing a huge group that has no choice but to revert back to ICE tech. Don't even get me started on the GM SUV with the haul capacity of a honda civic.

If the Cyber truck doesn't have 500 mile range +/- then it will be a failure. A truck is a tool built for a specific purpose. What GM and ford are making are SUVs with big trunks.

Those of us who use a truck as a truck, to tow and haul, need to have a reasonable range when towing and hauling. That is where the vehicle should be designed around or do not call it a truck. It is useless to anyone to have a truck that can tow a boat 150 miles on a charge. That is a 75 mile circle around my home for lakes. I do not care about super chargers because you do not have an hour to charge up each way. Driving an hour and charging an hour is NOT acceptable to anyone.

If Tesla can not supply a fully EV that can do this then they need to supply an option where a Honda 8,000W generator can be locked in the bed when needed and a range extending mode can be initiated when towing or hauling. Not something needed all the time, but when we need to tow 250 miles round trip there needs to be an option. This would extend the range about 16 miles for every hour on the road. Not huge but enough especially if you can let it run a couple hours at the destination.

Anything less than 250 miles towing and you are missing a huge group that has no choice but to revert back to ICE tech. Don't even get me started on the GM SUV with the haul capacity of a honda civic.
ironically most working trucks with contractors/ handyman etc rarely tow and are operated with much less than 200 miles of daily driving ... driving doesnt pay - working on the job does.

to your lake example... assuming you haul the boat to the lake on a Friday afternoon for 150 miles and then haul it back on Sunday afternoon for another 150 miles... maybe in the meantime you can plug in at an RV outlet near the marina and recharge easily. Heck - even when spending the entire day on the lake you could easily recharge the truck at an RV type oulet or NEMA 14-50. most marinas/ lake docks have those.

a 500 mile range for a full size truck would require close to a 200kw battery ... and that ain't cheap. Tesla could build 3x Model SR+ for $47k each with that battery capacity. so even if they decide to put that much range and battery in a full size truck... it most certainly will cost well above $100k.

I prefer the CYBRTRK as advertised. Hybrid vehicles are over engineered and twice the maintenance.

I prefer the CYBRTRK as advertised. Hybrid vehicles are over engineered and twice the maintenance.

@RMS149
I understand the point you are making, and an EV won't be the right tool in the toolbox for everyone, especially when long distance towing is a requirement. However the Lightning isn't just an SUV with a trunk. It's a fully functional F-150, but the range needs to meet your needs. Lots of contractors and trades don't do heavy towing and daily drive well under the range of the truck. This is what I like about Ford's approach. If the EV version doesn't work for you, they'll offer a regular F-150 in many variations (including gas, hybrids, and diesel) which will. The mentality which some have, that everything needs to be an EV, is just dumb. Choose the best tool for your requirements based on what is available today. For me it's looking promising, but yet undecided.

ironically most working trucks with contractors/ handyman etc rarely tow and are operated with much less than 200 miles of daily driving ... driving doesnt pay - working on the job does.

to your lake example... assuming you haul the boat to the lake on a Friday afternoon for 150 miles and then haul it back on Sunday afternoon for another 150 miles... maybe in the meantime you can plug in at an RV outlet near the marina and recharge easily. Heck - even when spending the entire day on the lake you could easily recharge the truck at an RV type oulet or NEMA 14-50. most marinas/ lake docks have those.

a 500 mile range for a full size truck would require close to a 200kw battery ... and that ain't cheap. Tesla could build 3x Model SR+ for $47k each with that battery capacity. so even if they decide to put that much range and battery in a full size truck... it most certainly will cost well above $100k.
You don't own and use a boat much do you? You get up at 3 am drive to the lake, drop in park and fish the day and then drive home in the afternoon. I'm not talking about a weekend trip. Even in your hopefull situation you assume there is an RV place close to the ramp? Needs to be walking distance from ramp and from where you are staying? Ohh and your gonna leave the truck and boat easily $150k (1.5) miles from where you are staying?

You solution is unrealistic and impractical.

Finally Fleet trucks are NOT what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the homeowner that needs a truck theu can use as a truck not an SUV.

Last edited:
I would agree and can make a 500 mile cyber truck as advertised work and that is why I reserved one. If they are not going to produce as advertised then I have to adjust what I purchase not my expectations. I have a need and if this can't meet the need then there are 4 brands of ICE powered trucks that will. But lets not call it a truck.... That would be sort of calling someone with a computer science degree an Architect.

@RMS149
I understand the point you are making, and an EV won't be the right tool in the toolbox for everyone, especially when long distance towing is a requirement. However the Lightning isn't just an SUV with a trunk. It's a fully functional F-150, but the range needs to meet your needs. Lots of contractors and trades don't do heavy towing and daily drive well under the range of the truck. This is what I like about Ford's approach. If the EV version doesn't work for you, they'll offer a regular F-150 in many variations (including gas, hybrids, and diesel) which will. The mentality which some have, that everything needs to be an EV, is just dumb. Choose the best tool for your requirements based on what is available today. For me it's looking promising, but yet undecided.
I agree 110%, but if your radius to do contacting work (Towing your equipment) is 75 miles, in my neck of the wood that would limit your job prospects.

If you need to pull a trailer regularly for any distance at all, buy an ICE obviously.

Tesla isn't going to do a pony motor, but Stellantis is almost certainly going to and Ford also has a patent out there. I too LOVE this idea.

The benefit of the Pony motor idea is that it allows all the advantages of an EV, but avoids the primary downside with very few cons. After all maintaining and fueling a generator is essentially nothing.

The other real advantage is that the need to build in such a large/ heavy/ expensive battery pack is reduced. Most people only really need the 500 mile range 1-4x/ year so it stinks to have all that weight and cost for such a limited use scenario.

I wouldn't consider a CT with less than a 450 mile range. First, Tesla consistently overestimates their range by around 13%. Then you don't want to drop below 10% or go about 90%. Furthermore trucks often have inclement conditions to contend with or extra drag, like hauling snowboards or mountain bikes for a trip in the mountains. Doesn't take long for 450 mile range to look more like 250 miles, which is nothing on a road trip where you only have 1 day to travel there and 1 day to travel back.

You proved my point exactly! You are just playing a fool's game where your answer will always be "it doesn't exist yet so I win, nana nana nana!"

I have fully acknowledged that the F150 Lightning will hit the market first in tiny numbers. I have also acknowledged that it will be awhile before the Cybertruck makes its way to customers.
CT has dragged out so much, its hard for me personally not to feel the Ford is the best option, given the company is likely to be around awhile to support it (RIvian is what I’m referring to here... sweet truck but not sure company can hold out for length of warranty and their deliveries aren’t exactly rocket fast either).

Reactions: KJD
I would agree and can make a 500 mile cyber truck as advertised work and that is why I reserved one. If they are not going to produce as advertised then I have to adjust what I purchase not my expectations. I have a need and if this can't meet the need then there are 4 brands of ICE powered trucks that will. But lets not call it a truck.... That would be sort of calling someone with a computer science degree an Architect.
You don't own and use a boat much do you? You get up at 3 am drive to the lake, drop in park and fish the day and then drive home in the afternoon. I'm not talking about a weekend trip. Even in your hopefull situation you assume there is an RV place close to the ramp? Needs to be walking distance from ramp and from where you are staying? Ohh and your gonna leave the truck and boat easily $150k (1.5) miles from where you are staying?

You solution is unrealistic and impractical.

Finally Fleet trucks are NOT what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the homeowner that needs a truck theu can use as a truck not an SUV.
I charge my Tesla while camping all the time, its a no brainer, wake to a precondition, fully charged battery 🔋after sleeping in a climate control environment. Got to love 50amp service while camping!

I charge my Tesla while camping all the time, its a no brainer, wake to a precondition, fully charged battery 🔋after sleeping in a climate control environment. Got to love 50amp service while camping!
Most launch ramps have RV facilities near by. My boat storage even has 110, perfect for when boats go mainstream electric⚡️Charge over night, perform scheduled charging will be the bomb! Nothing worse then having to stop at a gas station ⛽️ when you are ready to hit the water.

I charge my Tesla while camping all the time, its a no brainer, wake to a precondition, fully charged battery 🔋after sleeping in a climate control environment. Got to love 50amp service while camping
Most launch ramps have RV facilities near by. My boat storage even has 110, perfect for when boats go mainstream electric⚡️Charge over night, perform scheduled charging will be the bomb! Nothing worse then having to stop at a gas station ⛽️ when you are ready to hit the water.
90% of ramps do not have camping nearby. Also I'm NOT going camping, I'm going fishing. You can not tow a boat and a camper. Again the tool has to fit or don't buy it. If Tesla is going to downgrade to what Ford is producing or worse what GM is producing then people who use a personal truck as a truck will be forced to buy a traditional ICE powered truck....