Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely unsurprising that the early adopter also has an Airstream.
That Airstream is at least a 23 foot. Will be interested to see if there is any follow up on his towing. Maybe a circle back from the journalist in one year.

We used to tow a 23 Airstream International 5000 lbs with propane and batteries. Always found a way for another thousand pounds of stuff in it. With the 10000 towing capacity on the Ford right at 60% is which is good. Would love to know his discharge rate while towing even though I don't tow anymore.

That Airstream is at least a 23 foot. Will be interested to see if there is any follow up on his towing. Maybe a circle back from the journalist in one year.

We used to tow a 23 Airstream International 5000 lbs with propane and batteries. Always found a way for another thousand pounds of stuff in it. With the 10000 towing capacity on the Ford right at 60% is which is good. Would love to know his discharge rate while towing even though I don't tow anymore.

I'm looking at picking up a 19-20' Airstream in the long run, so I'm interested as well. Another useful data point would be how long can you run the trailer's AC & other systems off it when remote camping.

YEP which is why a truck needs more range or some form of range extender.
all a matter of how much $$$ people are willing to pay. Even with batteries getting cheaper ... the battery size needed for trucks and longer range is still stupid high. the extended range F150 uses a ~130kwh battery ; the 400miles+ rated upcoming R1T needs a whopping 180 kwh battery. That's significantly more capacity than 2x Model Y AWD batteries... A truck with 400+ miles of range (= up to 200 miles of range towing if it's cut in 1/2) will cost north of $100k... and no- there will be no Tesla Cybertruck with 500+ miles of range for less than that... if you tow a lot you're better off with a F250/F350/HD/SuperDuty type of truck and a big Diesel engine.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Update: First towing report, 50% of rated range

So effectively with the extended range battery:
-For the initial 100% charge you would have to stop before 160 miles, as you can't really go to zero. (320/2)
-For the subsequent 80% charges, you would have to stop prior to 128 miles. (256/2)

Realistically for towing, I'd say this is only practical if the destination is no more than 250 miles away, and you'll have overnight charging at the destination.

How sound before others add the truck 'PowerWall'?

rEs02RB.jpg
I’ve been curious about this for a long time. What changes to a home is needed to even allow usage of your vehicle as a battery? Just disconnect from
The grid but plug it to the same nema 14-50 outlet used to charge the car?

I’ve been curious about this for a long time. What changes to a home is needed to even allow usage of your vehicle as a battery? Just disconnect from
The grid but plug it to the same nema 14-50 outlet used to charge the car?
scottf200 said: How [soon] before others add the truck 'PowerWall'?

See 3 link and 3 components below.

The Home Integration System is a required component for Ford Intelligent Backup Power. When paired with the Ford Charge Station Pro, the Home Integration System will allow energy to flow from your Ford F-150 Lightning™ to your home. This enables your truck to power your home in the event of an outage.

The Home Integration System will arrive in 3 packages.
  1. Bidirectional Inverter (4kW)
  2. Microgrid Integration Device
  3. Dark Start Battery

Reactions: smilepak
Update: First towing report, 50% of rated range

Ouch!

edited.... it wasn't a real test. The guy hooked up his trailer, drove for a bit, and extrapolated the data.

note: that was probably the most expensive camping trip per mile ever recorded. Truck $90,000, airstream $90,000, 30 mile drive.....priceless!

Last edited: