Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is true then how is the Tesla Semi a thing? Is it strictly for in-town shipping?

Semi runs in a price range where an absurd-size pack can actually pencil out over the life of the vehicle, and major fleet carriers can afford dedicated hyper-charger stations along their routes. They are not hauling trailers into the wilderness to go camping on a limited budget.

But yes, even at semi-truck scale, the easy first niche is short-distance hauling near major ports and whatnot - lots of stop and go, waiting, etc are good use cases for electric.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Trailer with a battery pack of its own sounds good to me.
Which given the battery pack replacement costs we're seeing, would add a substantial cost increase to an already expensive trailer. Cost of EV trailer & truck & operating costs compared to the costs of the same with a gas or diesel and non-EV trailer. Not to mention, the battery pack in the trailer will degrade over time as well, requiring replacement, and the additional towing weight.

If this is true then how is the Tesla Semi a thing? Is it strictly for in-town shipping?
how do i explain this to you... let me try..... even in today's hot market - the local Ford dealer will sell you a F250 Lariat with 4x4 and a 6.7 liter V8 diesel engine with a tow rating of ~20k lbs (!) for around $80k. That thing comes with a 34 gallon tank and even when towing should deliver well over 300 miles of range. Something for a which an electric truck would need a 600 miles EPA rated battery (none of those trucks exist today or next year or the year after).

a 400+ miles range max battery Rivian (the only truck with a range of over 400 miles and where we have specs) will set you back $100k+. So that's +$20k more than F250 diesel or 4k gallons of Diesel at current prices of $5/ gallon.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Which given the battery pack replacement costs we're seeing, would add a substantial cost increase to an already expensive trailer. Cost of EV trailer & truck & operating costs compared to the costs of the same with a gas or diesel and non-EV trailer. Not to mention, the battery pack in the trailer will degrade over time as well, requiring replacement, and the additional towing weight.
However, if that battery pack were usable as grid storage for your home when you're not on the road, you would get double duty out of it and it would be more viable.

Many would be happy with short towing range, knowing it is something they rarely do and can always rent something for those rare occasions when long distance towing is required.

Others are towing frequently, over long distances. For those individuals a diesel truck would be a better choice.

Imagine that companies like U-Haul will develop trailers with built in batteries when the demand arrives. No need for everyone to own and store a trailer when you can easily rent one with battery assist when desired.

The marketplace will adapt to the needs.

An example for me, was when I needed to pick up a 1,100 lb golf cart from 65 miles away. I took my X, rented a U-haul trailer ($30) and needed to stop at a handy Supercharger on my way back for some juice. If I had a big truck, I could have done it easier, but my Tesla got the job done with little fuss.

Does the trailer have its own motors or is it supplying power to the truck? Does the trailer do its own regen? (You would think Tesla or Rivian would have prototyped this already.)
I believe Airstream is talking about having motors on the trailer to reduce its effective towing load. This also allows one to drive it short distances, making it easier to maneuver into parking spaces and such (no backing in with a trailer). I believe there would be regenerative trailer braking as well.
I haven't seen any mention of Airstream enabling stationary storage though.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Imagine that companies like U-Haul will develop trailers with built in batteries when the demand arrives. No need for everyone to own and store a trailer when you can easily rent one with battery assist when desired.
Unfortunately, these will not be available on holidays or weekends when everybody wants to go places. Renting only works if there is a low peak/average ratio.

Many would be happy with short towing range, knowing it is something they rarely do and can always rent something for those rare occasions when long distance towing is required.

Others are towing frequently, over long distances. For those individuals a diesel truck would be a better choice.

The marketplace will adapt to the needs.

An example for me, was when I needed to pick up a 1,100 lb golf cart from 65 miles away. I took my X, rented a U-haul trailer ($30) and needed to stop at a handy Supercharger on my way back for some juice. If I had a big truck, I could have done it easier, but my Tesla got the job done with little fuss.
yup. the Lightning and Rivian will be *just* fine towing that bass boat or 3 kayaks for 1+ hour to the nearest lake and then tow back in the evening. Even better if you plug it an at the RV park or Marina (most have RV outlets) while you are on the lake. I wouldn't want to pay for or schlepp around a 180kwh battery. And heavy towers which tow for hundreds of miles before stopping to refuel quickly will be buying HD diesel trucks for a long long time...

LFP and 4680 batteries have a longer life and are less expensive, if a semi truck trailer with solar panels mounted had them, they would be awesome for long hauling and refrigeration. If you are a snowbird, the batteries would be trickle charged at the RV park by solar panels and the 30/50amp service. Dual uses make it a no brainer.

However, if that battery pack were usable as grid storage for your home when you're not on the road, you would get double duty out of it and it would be more viable.
Except the Lightning will already do that on it's own, so it's not really necessary. Then there is the added cost to the RV compared to other options like a backup generator, that can provide long term power in extended outages. The cost-benefit analysis matters. However since an EV RV doesn't currently exist, it's not a factor for those looking to buy now.

how do i explain this to you... let me try..... even in today's hot market - the local Ford dealer will sell you a F250 Lariat with 4x4 and a 6.7 liter V8 diesel engine with a tow rating of ~20k lbs (!) for around $80k. That thing comes with a 34 gallon tank and even when towing should deliver well over 300 miles of range. Something for a which an electric truck would need a 600 miles EPA rated battery (none of those trucks exist today or next year or the year after).

a 400+ miles range max battery Rivian (the only truck with a range of over 400 miles and where we have specs) will set you back $100k+. So that's +$20k more than F250 diesel or 4k gallons of Diesel at current prices of $5/ gallon.
Nobody wants to breath die-sel fumes that has a functioning brain.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
You can walk into a Ford dealership with gold and couldn’t buy one if you wanted.
Waiting time is about a year 😲😬😂🤣

Reactions: Suns_PSD
My option for towing our little trailer to National Parks and National Forests is a RAV4 Prime. On our last trip out West we averaged 31mpg yet around town virtually all miles are electric.
721818C2-B58E-4F8F-B594-C987AD390EAF.jpeg