Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder what kind of range they get. That would take up a large amount of room while charging
1654212654673.png

We know the towing capacity but no one has actually published how much kWh you use up while towing. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

It depends on what you're towing, but it seems pretty clear that hauling something large basically doubles your consumption and cuts your range in half. That's going to require either some really huge battery packs, or a lot of planning for those who like to really get-away-from-it-all. Solar power is a nice thought, but the surface area of the vehicle and trailer alone isn't really going to put a dent in a 100-200 KWh pack - you'd have to fold out something huge, and have it out all day while traveling at night to make that off-grid scenario work.

Except the Lightning will already do that on it's own, so it's not really necessary. Then there is the added cost to the RV compared to other options like a backup generator, that can provide long term power in extended outages. The cost-benefit analysis matters. However since an EV RV doesn't currently exist, it's not a factor for those looking to buy now.
For folks in CA, whose houses have solar PV and utilities that charge extreme rates for electricity usage in the evening, use of stationary batteries would be a daily cycling event for peak shaving. One would, most likely, not want to do this to one's vehicle battery as it would prematurely wear out the battery. However, a separate battery, such as a Powerwall, or perhaps an RV would not be subject to daily driving use so it can make sense economically when just the RV battery without home connection or the Powerwall that is only for storage, might not.

For folks in CA, whose houses have solar PV and utilities that charge extreme rates for electricity usage in the evening, use of stationary batteries would be a daily cycling event for peak shaving. One would, most likely, not want to do this to one's vehicle battery as it would prematurely wear out the battery. However, a separate battery, such as a Powerwall, or perhaps an RV would not be subject to daily driving use so it can make sense economically when just the RV battery without home connection or the Powerwall that is only for storage, might not.
That's stretching beyond the topic and the intended use. Those who want off-grid solar capability need a dedicated system like Simpliphi. Those who live in an area with extreme rates & unreliability in their grid, should take steps to resolve the core causational issues, which are easily solvable. (Occam's Razor.)

As far as the backup capabilities of the Lightning, it's perfect for dealing with the intermittent to short duration events as intended, which is what most of us face.

Reactions: SmartElectric
it's not about want... you simply cannot tow a 15k lbs horse trailer with any EV truck available

Care to revise your estimate?

four horses, tack, equipment, clothes, hay and grain, the weight total will be an average of 10,700 pounds

The majority of 4 place or larger Horse/Livestock trailers are 5th Wheel or Gooseneck. Even with a 2 Horse bumper pull trailer I sure would not drop my trailer with Horses in it and leave it someplace to charge the truck. Some of these trailers even have living quarters.
thank you. either way you aren't towing a 4 horse trailer with a F150 / Silverado / R1T / cybertruck or F150 Lightning.... gooseneck and HD trucks like F250/F350 or Silverado/Sierra HD with a diesel engine

Reactions: SmartElectric
as to the OP's question, "How many will..." I'd like to add, "How many won't?" I'm one. I could care less about Ford, who historically have built a cheap product. Fix Or Repair Daily is not just a cute acronym. When Toyota started selling in the US, Ford and GM had to step up their game or go out of business. If not for Toyota, they would still be selling junk. And they know it.

as to the OP's question, "How many will..." I'd like to add, "How many won't?" I'm one. I could care less about Ford, who historically have built a cheap product. Fix Or Repair Daily is not just a cute acronym. When Toyota started selling in the US, Ford and GM had to step up their game or go out of business. If not for Toyota, they would still be selling junk. And they know it.
Many many decades of statistics would disagree with your point.
RqnUqdC.jpg

Fix Or Repair Daily is not just a cute acronym

I've owned 4 Ford's, across three decades. No major issues that weren't caused by me (hard driving). Solid cars.

1991 Tempo. First car. Drove the crap out of it for 4 years, sold to my parents. Zero maintenance. Never changed the oil. Blew a head gasket at year 16, 100,000 km and was scrapped.

1995 Contour 5 speed 24 valve. Drove the absolute crap out of it. Blew up engine at 12 years and 260,000 km of very very hard driving, red line shifting, hard acceleration from most stops, hard braking and cornering. Got $200 as trade in allowance for Taurus (see down).

2001 Focus. Used, was dealers wife's car. Drove to 80,000 km in 13 years, low maintenance, changed oil once a year. Got $200 trade in allowance when I bought my 2013 Smart Electric drive.

2006 Taurus. Used. Drove to 12 years, wife's car so oil and all scheduled maintenance always done, no major issues. $800 trade in allowance when sold.

I am trading a 2013 Tesla Model S for my 2023 Ford Lightning. Will miss the Tesla. Have ZERO concerns on upcoming Ford Lightning purchase.