Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many many decades of statistics would disagree with your point.
RqnUqdC.jpg
WOW😲🤔 super interesting

as to the OP's question, "How many will..." I'd like to add, "How many won't?" I'm one. I could care less about Ford, who historically have built a cheap product. Fix Or Repair Daily is not just a cute acronym. When Toyota started selling in the US, Ford and GM had to step up their game or go out of business. If not for Toyota, they would still be selling junk. And they know it.

Or First On Race Day…….

I mean it tells you something when people trade in a Model 3 for an ICE F-150 and have no regrets except for the powertrain. And now with an EV powertrain? Shhheeeessssshhhh

The range when towing a jetski, John boat, or small utility trailer will be different than an RV or large trailer. That's the benefit of the Lightning's trailer range calculation. Different people have different use cases, and the same people may tow several trailers.

As far as the heavy towing range, I agree that for long-range towing you need a gas or diesel. I'd be okay with one 45 minute charging stop as my towing requirements would normally be only once a month. But beyond that it would start to be too much.

Below is a comparison between the Rivian and the Ford F-150 hybrid when towing. Likewise, the Rivian had 50%+ range reduction, and there's no reason to believe the CT won't be the same. A significant conclusion was that in terms of fuel cost when fast charging, the Rivian wasn't any cheaper than the F-150 hybrid.

I still want to see what the unladen highway range is at 70 mph. Bottom line, is we all have different requirements, so buy what fits those.

Also, I doubt I've ever heard the owner of a truck talking about UNLADEN capabilities. The whole point is how much it can tow, what the payload capacity is, etc.
2 million trucks a year ... lot of truck drivers outside of Texas that use it for a variety of mixed reasons. People put the tailgate down to haul 8'+ boards. Even the smaller Rivian is 7' with the tailgate down.

Rivian case in point:
Genuine truck use shown. Nice.
{note: I watch on YT using the gear icon at x1.5 or x1.75 speed}
Title: I've Driven my Rivian 1500 Miles! - And something already broken...

xEdtmlM.jpg

Yes, but not as often as I ask WTF when I see a truck with a 3 1/2 foot bed or whatever they are down to these days.

Also, I doubt I've ever heard the owner of a truck talking about UNLADEN capabilities. The whole point is how much it can tow, what the payload capacity is, etc.
Single vehicle household, electric vehicles are much slower to refuel, and my needs are more cargo/payload than towing so that range number matters. Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it won't matter to others.

the only thing dumber than worrying about the mpg of an UNLADEN truck is worrying about the mpg of an UNLADEN diesel truck.

Either way, none of this matters when the range of your TRUCK doing TRUCK THINGS is 150 miles. That's damn near useless.
again. if you two 10k lbs (!) everytime you use the truck ... you won't be happy with the Cybertruck either. Or do you believe that physics magically don't apply to Tesla and the beast of a cybertruck will see better than a 50% range cut when towing an aerodynamic brick of 10k lbs behind it?

again. if you two 10k lbs (!) everytime you use the truck ... you won't be happy with the Cybertruck either. Or do you believe that physics magically don't apply to Tesla and the beast of a cybertruck will see better than a 50% range cut when towing an aerodynamic brick of 10k lbs behind it?
Agreed. The answer for that use is an F-250 with the diesel engine. There's no need to look any farther. It a truck that can do truck things. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD