Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YEP which is why a truck needs more range or some form of range extender.

Barring some giant leap in battery technology the correct solution for people that tow any distance with regularity, is an ICE.

The amount of money that a HUGE battery pack costs can pay for an awful lot of fuel.

That said, I LOVE the idea of a range extender mounted in a tool box or something. Tesla won't do that however.

Reactions: FLRifleman
I've seen some articles where trailer makers are starting to put batteries on them to offset some of the EV range loss. Of course that makes them heavier too, so you are getting a bit of a diminshed return. The one thing I don't really do is tow but I like the convenience of the pick up bed and the cabin space and finish of a good full size SUV.

The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
I ran the base F-150 Lightening in my Zip code (92131) and it came back at $42,000 for the 230 mile range. I don't recall an option to placing a $100 deposit, but I may be tempted? But it's still a Ford!

I ran the base F-150 Lightening in my Zip code (92131) and it came back at $42,000 for the 230 mile range. I don't recall an option to placing a $100 deposit, but I may be tempted? But it's still a Ford!
a full size F150 with 230 miles EPA for $42k is a steal... if you don't tow and primarily use it as a truck around the area and most of your daily driving is limited to ~200 miles... hard to beat at that price point. A mundane Model 3 SR+ costs $5k more and isn't AWD nor as spacious nor qualifies for a tax rebate

a full size F150 with 230 miles EPA for $42k is a steal... if you don't tow and primarily use it as a truck around the area and most of your daily driving is limited to ~200 miles... hard to beat at that price point. A mundane Model 3 SR+ costs $5k more and isn't AWD nor as spacious nor qualifies for a tax rebate
You know what? I may just put in a deposit! $100? Do you happen to have the link in order to place a deposit? This would be my 3rd Ford truck in my lifetime.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Single vehicle household, electric vehicles are much slower to refuel, and my needs are more cargo/payload than towing so that range number matters. Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it won't matter to others.

Ok snowflake. Too bad your feelings got hurt. But the truth is trucks are for hauling things.

Also, make up your mind. You originally said UNLADEN.... now you are talking about cargo and payload. Either way, I think an electric minivan will best meet your use case.

If the 400 mile range Silverado can tow 8k for 200 miles, that's all I will need. And as long as you're not towing a parachute, you'll probably get better than 200.

Will it work for everyone?...definitely not. But I don't care about everyone. Just me. 😎

Couple the lay-down back seats with a tonneu cover and I'll be able to haul around my tandem kayak without a problem. No more clean 'n jerk to get it on the roof of the cross-over.
1654655959686.png

So, almost no one will tow heavy loads with an EV truck anytime soon. Another shocking news: tomorrow is another day...

Otherwise this looks like a fine truck that can satisfy the majority of truck owners that don't tow long distance.
"A special towing-optimized electric Silverado variant arriving later in the production run will be rated to tow a whopping 20,000 pounds" -Motortrend

I guess 20k isn't a lot of towing. Yes your 400 mile range will get cut drastically. But it's also only $20 to "fill the tank" at $0.10/kwh.

YMMV...literally.

Reactions: KJD
"A special towing-optimized electric Silverado variant arriving later in the production run will be rated to tow a whopping 20,000 pounds" -Motortrend

I guess 20k isn't a lot of towing. Yes your 400 mile range will get cut drastically. But it's also only $20 to "fill the tank" at $0.10/kwh.

YMMV...literally.
Even 200 miles of actual range means charging every 150 miles on the road assuming that one keeps a 10% buffer at the bottom and charges to 80% to limit wait at fast chargers.