Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure they'll make drive-throughs.
Who is this “they” of whom you speak? GM & Ford have both stated they intend to work with 3rd parties to build out a charging network rather than investing their own money. Call me cynical but I believe the full extent of GM & Ford’s efforts will be sending representatives to the standards meetings.

I’ve been noticing a lot of EA’s installations at Walmarts and Targets and those pedestals are really close together. Just for fun I tried parking my Ram 1500 in one of those stalls and it was a tight fit. The only drive-thru stalls I’ve seen are Tesla’s.

Do the drive through EA sites have enough room to maneuver a Truck towing a 24 to 38 foot trailer
The Baker, CA EA pull-through site would support a Truck with a large trailer. That's the only pull-through EA site I know of though. All the other ones I've seen are stupid back/pull in sites with one parking space per 2-hose station.

It’s my understanding the reason for that is only one of the two cables can be active at a time.
I don't see this as an excuse.
Early Bl!nk CHAdeMO stations had 2 hoses but only 2 at a time worked, however, one could plug into the non-working one and, as soon as the other was finished, it would start charging your car. You could just plug in and go about your shopping or other business until telematics showed your car as being full. I've used EVgo ones that worked this way as well. Worked fine.
Its a waste of the installation cost to only serve one parking space and, I'm sure, VW took credit for installing 2 chargers per station in meeting their penal requirements.
If their stations don't automatically switch over, shame on them for incompetent vendor selection.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner
It seems like an interesting test would be to take a trailer and test the same trailer loaded and unloaded to see the impact on range. Seems like the aero has almost more impact than the weight?
Trailers are where the significant impact on range is. From what I've seen so far in that aspect of testing, it's not the weight but the aerodynamics that really kills it. A small and heavily loaded flatbed utility trailer will have much less impact than an RV, so you're correct. There's some tests already out there, and there's certainly more to come.

If Cybertruck is the range and charging speed king as I expect it will be, I'll keep my order and probably replace my Tundra and X with it. Will miss the 7th seat but 6-seats and a nice wide open cab with two benches is good enough for family stuff. I'm hoping for ~150kwh of usable capacity for towing.

However, if range and battery size is merely on-par with Ford, and the Cybertruck doesn't offer vehicle to load and a big frunk like the Ford, I'll get a Ford. I use AC power at the racetrack all the time, and if I'm towing with an EV I need maximum cargo flexibility because my big box trailer will be significantly downsized for EV towing.

If Cybertruck is the range and charging speed king as I expect it will be, I'll keep my order and probably replace my Tundra and X with it. Will miss the 7th seat but 6-seats and a nice wide open cab with two benches is good enough for family stuff. I'm hoping for ~150kwh of usable capacity for towing.

However, if range and battery size is merely on-par with Ford, and the Cybertruck doesn't offer vehicle to load and a big frunk like the Ford, I'll get a Ford. I use AC power at the racetrack all the time, and if I'm towing with an EV I need maximum cargo flexibility because my big box trailer will be significantly downsized for EV towing.
I'm pretty sure the Cybertruck won't come standard with that large of a battery. Stated capacity for the Lightning and R1T is ~130-135kwh (total pack, not usable capacity). if Tesla throws in a pack 20%+ more capacity ... the price for that vehicle would easily exceed $80k+

I'm pretty sure the Cybertruck won't come standard with that large of a battery. Stated capacity for the Lightning and R1T is ~130-135kwh (total pack, not usable capacity). if Tesla throws in a pack 20%+ more capacity ... the price for that vehicle would easily exceed $80k+
They were talking about a truck with a 500 mile range. That suggests a pack in the ~190-220 kWh ballpark.

Tesla battery packs seem to be getting smaller, not bigger.

The TX MY has a 67.5 kWh pack, for example.

IMO, Musk is going to pursue profits and increased production to the best of his ability, and reducing the expensive battery pack is the best way to do so.
yup. in a world where they charge well over $60k for a Model Y ... the likelihood we will see a 200kwh pack in a Cybertruck is slim to none. Unless they brand it as PLAID and charge $130k+ ...

Kyle from Out of Spec posted a video about charging speed. Hopefully Ford speeds it up, because I'm not impressed right now. The truck gets 2 miles per kWh unladen, and the bulk of the charge rate is around 130 kW (260 miles per hour) when it settles in after the initial few minutes of higher charge rate. I was expecting faster charging considering the pack size.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrGriz