Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yup. in a world where they charge well over $60k for a Model Y ... the likelihood we will see a 200kwh pack in a Cybertruck is slim to none. Unless they brand it as PLAID and charge $130k+ ...
GM is doing 105 kWh battery packs for about $67K in the Lyriq & 200 kWh battery packs in the 400 mile range Silverado for $107K.

If Tesla were to undercut GM's 'value' it would certainly be a first. Wouldn't count on it.

Kyle from Out of Spec posted a video about charging speed. Hopefully Ford speeds it up, because I'm not impressed right now. The truck gets 2 miles per kWh unladen, and the bulk of the charge rate is around 130 kW (260 miles per hour) when it settles in after the initial few minutes of higher charge rate. I was expecting faster charging considering the pack size.
Did you expect that from the get-go? How many times has Tesla changed the charging kW top in even for the same battery? It would make sense to me that Ford is monitoring the fleet like Tesla does and adjust as they get real-world battery data.

Did you expect that from the get-go? How many times has Tesla changed the charging kW top in even for the same battery? It would make sense to me that Ford is monitoring the fleet like Tesla does and adjust as they get real-world battery data.
TFL got up to 170kw charge speeds and it still pumped at 130kw at ~60% SOC. That's not terrible especially holding 100kw+ very long.

depends on your market. Y is aimed at literally every potential luxury crossover buyer. I have acquaintances with Y on order or already delivered who were previously shopping for just about any brand you think of and they were all cross shopping X5/Macan/Range Rover/You name it. The pricing on those drives the pricing on Y and their pricing is ridiculous so, Y’s is too. Tesla has also lowered prices in the past and I think those times will come again.

Cybertruck is ostensibly aimed at an entirely different market. Ford sells a really nice $55k Explorer ST right alongside an extremely nice $55k F150. Elon and every other economist who studies the industry has repeatedly said the $100k+ range is not a sustainable place to sell into - it’s a halo range, a place to harvest some profit from and use as a test bed for new tech applications that can be applied down the range at scale if they pan out. This is how Honda civics got lane keeping and auto wipers and cruise control and airbags and so on.

Cybertruck doesn’t seem intended as a halo vehicle - it seems to me to be intended to be a volume utility to sell alongside a volume passenger vehicle. So I think there’s still a real chance they’ll hit the same base price mark Ford has hit, with similar or better capabilities to the extended range battery in the Ford, but with a smaller battery, and I think the top spec will be significantly more expensive with a battery on par with the F150’s which is 131kwh usable, 140+ total. 150 isn’t an outlandish pack size at all for this class of vehicle that will be lucky, even with Tesla’s efficiency expertise and the aero advantages of the shape, to get to 400wh/mi at 70mph. And there’s room for quite a lot of price spread on such a large vehicle while still making money on all of them, even the cheapest of them. Base contractor spec F150’s are not loss-leaders. They sell too many of those for that to be sustainable for the half century they have been doing this.

Last edited:
I was hoping to be blown away. Some of the features I thought were really interesting like the power back up that can power your house up to 3 days. Sounds great. I was a little underwhelmed with the range and even the towing specs. The high end models are 300 miles or range which is nothing crazy. I do think it looks great because I have always loved the F-150 look and the power frunk looked great also. However right now I don't see me dropping my Cybertruck reservation for the F-150 with those specs. But I do love the fact that the market is getting a little more crowded.
I'm beyond underwhelmed by my '22 Tesla S Models 405 mile range which in real life is more like 180 to 200 miles if you comply with Teslas recommendation of not letting the batt go below 20% nor over 80% when charging.

75mph gives me approx 30 miles per ten percent of usable battery. NOBODY drives at 70 mph like some guy on Youtube who does milage tests of ev's.

So the car is close to a brick and usable only in the immediate region i.e. DFW area.

Probably should have sold it and bought a ??? cheap GM or F150 which are better 'regional' cars.

I will. Own a '22 Tesla S model now and had a '20 Performance S model.

Teslas are priced as luxury cars but other than that are not. Go drive a EQS 580 or just sit in one and compare it to a S model Tesla. No contest, the EQS wins in all ways.

Cyber truck with a half arse steering wheel ? Ya gotta be kidding. They should have fired forever the guy who approved that idiot idea.

Love Teslas lack of switches ? Your nuts. Looking down while Bouncing down the interstate and trying to stab the correct icon on the screen, then select the item you want to adjust. Crazy idea when all you have to do to adjust the mirrors on a normal good car, while still looking at the road, is touch the buttons on the left armrest to adjust said mirriors. Give me a list of options on a Tesla. HUD? no. Massaging seats? no. Front camera? no. The list goes on and on but Teslas list is??? three or four colors, bigger less efficient wheels and a lot of money for self driving car for those that for uknown reasons can't drive in their lane for more than a mile or two.

And the Cyber truck is UGLY as sin.

I'm beyond underwhelmed by my '22 Tesla S Models 405 mile range which in real life is more like 180 to 200 miles if you comply with Teslas recommendation of not letting the batt go below 20% nor over 80% when charging.

75mph gives me approx 30 miles per ten percent of usable battery. NOBODY drives at 70 mph like some guy on Youtube who does milage tests of ev's.

So the car is close to a brick and usable only in the immediate region i.e. DFW area.

Probably should have sold it and bought a ??? cheap GM or F150 which are better 'regional' cars.
The 20% to 80% is for leaving it or a daily basis. Going above 80% and driving immediately afterward or letting it go below 20% but charging immediately upon returning, is no big deal. Just don't charge to 100% or drain to below 20% and leave it overnight or all day. Even driving at 80 mph, you should be able to do 300 miles on your S in the DFW area or 250 miles in cold country.
If you truly drive 300+ miles a day, on a regular basis, then you're part of a small minority, however, you can still set the charging timer to fill to 100% just before leaving and plan to charge as soon as you return home. If you do drive this far, I would think that the cost savings of driving electric would be very important to you or whomever pays for your fuel.
If you're more normal, driving between 20 and 60 miles per day, follow the 20% to 80% rule and you'll have no problems.
better 'regional' cars.
200+ miles per day is hardly 'regional'.
It isn't clear that you understand how to use your S to get optimal usage from it. This is not surprising since it is a new phenomena, unlike the century-old ICE with which we're all accustomed.
If you share what your regular and extreme driving needs are, we, on this forum, may be able to help you to optimize the charging so you can truly benefit from your purchase without impacting your driving.

Lightning Deliveries are now delayed, chip hold, transportation embargo. One guy had his Lightning delivered to the Railyard about 10 min to his dealer and it was sent back to Dearborn due to a malfunction. Early builds (April) are stuck in storage waiting on who knows what. My Lightning is stuck somewhere waiting on this embargo to end which will be the end of July. It's a mess and something Tesla would get killed for, I am not sure why this is not being reported. Ford gets no pass on this since they have been doing it for decades, but I should have known given how the Mach-E, Bronco and Maverick went.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

At least make your trolling sound realistic. I have half your rated range and can travel all over North America without much problem. There are remote areas I can’t get to and back from, but they aren’t areas I went to in a gas car either. I could go to a lot more remote areas and back if I had your car.

Teslas are priced as luxury cars but other than that are not. Go drive a EQS 580 or just sit in one and compare it to a S model Tesla. No contest, the EQS wins in all ways.

Cyber truck with a half arse steering wheel ? Ya gotta be kidding. They should have fired forever the guy who approved that idiot idea.

Love Teslas lack of switches ? Your nuts. Looking down while Bouncing down the interstate and trying to stab the correct icon on the screen, then select the item you want to adjust. Crazy idea when all you have to do to adjust the mirrors on a normal good car, while still looking at the road, is touch the buttons on the left armrest to adjust said mirriors. Give me a list of options on a Tesla. HUD? no. Massaging seats? no. Front camera? no. The list goes on and on but Teslas list is??? three or four colors, bigger less efficient wheels and a lot of money for self driving car for those that for uknown reasons can't drive in their lane for more than a mile or two.

Pretty much every negative you listed is a positive for me. I also have a BMW 530e and I find iDrive to be a confusing mess of knobs and screens. The displays are also overly complicated and there is a surplus of buttons. A car is not supposed to be a living room from 1980.

depends on your market. Y is aimed at literally every potential luxury crossover buyer. I have acquaintances with Y on order or already delivered who were previously shopping for just about any brand you think of and they were all cross shopping X5/Macan/Range Rover/You name it. The pricing on those drives the pricing on Y and their pricing is ridiculous so, Y’s is too. Tesla has also lowered prices in the past and I think those times will come again.

Cybertruck is ostensibly aimed at an entirely different market. Ford sells a really nice $55k Explorer ST right alongside an extremely nice $55k F150. Elon and every other economist who studies the industry has repeatedly said the $100k+ range is not a sustainable place to sell into - it’s a halo range, a place to harvest some profit from and use as a test bed for new tech applications that can be applied down the range at scale if they pan out. This is how Honda civics got lane keeping and auto wipers and cruise control and airbags and so on.

Cybertruck doesn’t seem intended as a halo vehicle - it seems to me to be intended to be a volume utility to sell alongside a volume passenger vehicle. So I think there’s still a real chance they’ll hit the same base price mark Ford has hit, with similar or better capabilities to the extended range battery in the Ford, but with a smaller battery, and I think the top spec will be significantly more expensive with a battery on par with the F150’s which is 131kwh usable, 140+ total. 150 isn’t an outlandish pack size at all for this class of vehicle that will be lucky, even with Tesla’s efficiency expertise and the aero advantages of the shape, to get to 400wh/mi at 70mph. And there’s room for quite a lot of price spread on such a large vehicle while still making money on all of them, even the cheapest of them. Base contractor spec F150’s are not loss-leaders. They sell too many of those for that to be sustainable for the half century they have been doing this.
a $55k F150 will be a well equipped XLT with AWD or a bare-bone Lariat RWD. that's certainly not "extremely" nice. A Platinum or King Ranch AWD will run north of $70k and a AWD well equipped Lariat ~$60k.

Ford trucks are certainly not cheap and Tesla won't undercut Ford Lightning by ($20k)...

You had me nodding in agreement until you said the CT was UGLY. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Tesla's are cheaply built cars with good programming and all the EV advantages (and a few of the disadvantages as well). It still blows me away that people try to equate their MY with some high end German luxury vehicles. The Y is a $42K car, all day long. But not a penny more.

"Ford will also have the software update available through an over-the-air update in 30 days for all current customers."

so a Tesla recall being fixed by a OTA software update is "genius" but a Ford recall being fixed by a OTA update is "smh". Lol. ok. no bias there at all.

The recall is correctly programming the TPMS to 42psi cold instead of 35psi cold which is affecting ~3k trucks. I'm sure on the severity scale a recall for TPMS being off by 17% is not exactly a big deal.

"Ford will also have the software update available through an over-the-air update in 30 days for all current customers."

so a Tesla recall being fixed by a OTA software update is "genius" but a Ford recall being fixed by a OTA update is "smh". Lol. ok. no bias there at all.

The recall is correctly programming the TPMS to 42psi cold instead of 35psi cold which is affecting ~3k trucks. I'm sure on the severity scale a recall for TPMS being off by 17% is not exactly a big deal.

It’s smh because one of the guys on the forum had this happen to him and instead of Ford delivering the vehicle, he had his Truck shipped back to Dearborn and is now lost, no one has any idea where it is located. It’s also smh because you would think a company like Ford would have tested or at least figured this out from the beginning. Now there is a lot in Dearborn full of Lightning’s that are sitting waiting to be shipped…. March April May builds….

This isn’t their first rodeo …… honestly in this case, deliver the vehicle and send the update OTA instead of holding deliveries….

And no, there is no bias considering I am waiting on my Lightning and do not own a Tesla right now

Last edited:
a $55k F150 will be a well equipped XLT with AWD or a bare-bone Lariat RWD. that's certainly not "extremely" nice. A Platinum or King Ranch AWD will run north of $70k and a AWD well equipped Lariat ~$60k.

Ford trucks are certainly not cheap and Tesla won't undercut Ford Lightning by ($20k)...
My Tundra is an SR5 and it’s extremely nice compared to the Ram I had before it. It’s all relative. All of these vehicles even a work truck spec in 2022 are nicer than anybody ought to complain about. But without complaining the internet would go dark and still and we can’t have that

Saw this Lightning yesterday parked next to my regular F150. Pretty nice

Attachments

• A92FDFC7-2147-45E3-9998-4277ACCD0CF1.jpeg
    A92FDFC7-2147-45E3-9998-4277ACCD0CF1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: WhiteWi