TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How many would take factory delivery if it was available?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richkae, Feb 3, 2012.

?

Who wants to pick up at the factory?

1. Not me

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Yes - local in-State

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes- would come from out of State

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Yes - would come internationally

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. richkae

richkae VIN587

I would love to fly down to San Jose and pick up my car from the factory. I would actually love to watch it come down the line, but that would probably be too time consuming.
    Assuming that there was no paperwork entanglement due to taxation issues or licensing issues, how many people would do this?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well I would if it worked like European factory pickup (even without tax/tariff benefits) where you pick it up drive around a while on a vacation. Then they ship it to you. I just can't imagine driving my first electric car cross country before I get used to it.

Basically if they offered a factory tour, and some factory love. I would take a San Fran vacation to celebrate my new car.

I voted "Not me" because I want my car delivered to Atlanta. If I can afford and decide to purchase the 85kWh car, I might be convinced to drive from DC. As it would only be 3 days, and I could stay with friends each night all the way to Atlanta.

EDIT: DC is the closest current store to North Metro Atlanta.

3. richkae

richkae VIN587

I'll follow this up to note that I would like at least 3 supercharger locations between San Jose and Seattle before I did this.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

It's only 150 miles for me. Not much difference than going to Menlo Park. I understand that at the "store", they do final prep etc, which they might not want to do at the factory. But I would love being able to stand on a platform and watch *MY* car take shape!

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I marked that I would do it, but, from what I've been told, I would have to pay California sales tax to do so. I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax. Needless to say, factory delivery is not worth it if I have to pay sales tax on the vehicle. I would like to see the factory though.

As thinks stand I think that I can pick it up from Bellevue, WA and not pay sales tax. I saw somewhere on this forum some speculation that a Portland, OR store is in the works, so that might be an option by the time my number comes up. If I do end up picking up in WA, I'm going to make a couple day trip out of getting back to Eugene. I'm thinking about driving down the coast highway.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I was thinking about this the other day... I guess it would be cool to take a road trip across the country in it -- in theory. In practice, I get bored on the 2 hour trip to NYC. I guess I'd have to stop more, so that could be a plus -- but overall, I think it would be a miserable trip and I'd expose my new baby to all sorts of crap on the way.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I chose "yes, in-state only" but really what I mean is "a reasonable distance away." I live in Maryland -- hardly the largest state ;-), and near DC anyway. I wouldn't want to drive across the entire country! But if I lived on the same coast as a factory and it were, say, within a day's drive, I'd do it. But I don't want to make an expensive/time-consuming one-way-fly/drive-home trip out of it, no.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I live 10 miles away from the factory so, it's a no-brainer! I'd love a few photo ops at the factory with my new car and then, broadcast that to my (FB, G+, Twitter, etc.) world!

Btw, a little bird from T told me recently that they are planning on having a 'variety' of delivery options available (incl at the factory), some of which might be even more 'attractive' than factory delivery! Not sure what all that means but, we'd apparently be hearing more about this (and the relevant destination charges) 'very soon'. That's as far as I got...

Rob, factory delivery would include final prep as well, I'd think.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

I said no.

However, I would if they didn't make me pay California's sales tax. No sales tax on EVs in Washington.

10. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'd come down from Ontario for sure to watch my Model S being assembled on the line & drive it for a few days whilst on vacation there...our last trip to Cali for the plant tour was great...I'd go back.

I'm not sure the tax issue applies to me...I think if I had to pay Cali sales tax prior to the HST tax we have here in Ontario, I get to deduct the Cali tax from the HST...not sure what rate the Cali sales tax is though...

I'd like to see the vehicle being assembled & pick it up at the plant...think it would be a very unique experience!

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Ditto. No sales tax in Oregon (for anything) :tongue:

My wife's family lives in the San Francisco bay area. I would really love to take delivery, take a wine tour, see her family, then cruise back up to Portland, OR.

12. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Wouldn't that be "Not me" then, since the factory is in California?

13. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

Live in Portland, OR...

So no sales tax, would love to pick up in Fremont. Take a couple days and drive up the 101.

14. Thumper

Thumper Member

Would definitely come down from Oregon (where we enjoy no sales tax but 9% income tax) if I did not have to pay California sales tax. Delivery fee would be less than the sales tax so as it is, California is not going to get money anyway. They may as well allow factory delivery without sales tax and pick up some value from the increased tourism!

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hmmm.... could you even get a Canadian car licensed for that purpose?

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Indeed. I find it amusing that California will likely be throwing away tourism $ because of their vehicle delivery taxation policies. Further, they're counter-productive w/r/t EV vs. ICE because those choosing non-factory delivery (because of the taxation) are requiring more ICE trucking on the road to get their vehicles.

17. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

I'm in the "not me" pack, too far away and no recharging infrastructure in place for me to drive back home (Ohio) in a reasonable amount of time. I'll either take delivery at home or Chicago store (nearest to me at present).

18. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

This is really intriguing. While I don't think we have a charging infrastructure sufficient for me to drive from Fremont to Boston, I'd be interested in hearing more options.

19. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Too far! If TM pays a fixed price to ship the vehicles cross country to a store, would there be some economies of scale if several buyers had them delivered to a specific store for pickup?

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm thinking home delivery might be an option. I'd take that!