Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Y do you spot in a day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I counted 11 model Y today on a 15 minute drive in my town which is very open and densely populated.

They were mostly dark silver, white and black in that order. I drove to the Location and saw 4 white Y. I arrived to the park, and was going to park next to 1 black Y but it was too narrow so I I found another spot between 2 dark silver Y. Then on my walk I saw another 4 Couldn’t tell if black or dark silver. I did see 1 or 2 model S and 3 but not as many as Y.

I think there’s just no competition. I did see my first Mach-E 2 days ago, 2 or 3 Taycan recently and 1 E Tron a month ago.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have seen maybe 3-5 Model Ys TOTAL. I live in CNY with the nearest Tesla Store about 4hrs away and the nearest service center about 1.5 hours away. If they were to open a service center here I think I would start seeing more Teslas.

This is one of the reasons why I have been delaying a purchase of the Model Y. If I was forced to buy a new car now I would just take the chance of not needing to bring it to the service center, however, since my current car works fine I am willing to wait. Most people I know would not be willing to chance buying a Tesla with the nearest service center that far away.

Last edited:
I've actually been keeping track for a few weeks now. As I'm out and about, I'll keep a count in my head of 3, Y, S, X that I spot, and jot down a line in Google Keep. After several lines, I add them up into a running total. Here are my current stats:

1,024 total Teslas spotted, which are comprised of:
850 Model 3 - 83.0% of total
67 Model Y - 6.5% of total
58 Model S - 5.7% of total
48 Model X - 4.7% of total

So the vast majority I see are still Model 3, but it's gradually losing losing ground and MY keeps creeping upward.

These numbers are for various spots in the greater Vancouver, BC, Canada area that I frequent. Your mileage will definitely vary!

@FOOLSLFDRVNG thanks for starting the thread, it's going to be some interesting discussion. :) EDIT: I should add--like you, I've seen ONE Mach-E on the road, and 2 or 3 Taycans. I've also spotted one grey Polestar 2 in my area, twice (at least I'm fairly sure it was the same one). I see several Kona EVs but have never bothered to count--I'd say it's in 5th place behind the S3XY lineup around here.

In my area, I actually see more Taycan's than Model Y's.

Well, there's 4 different Taycan's in my city that I see driving around all the time, but I do see a lot of different Y's on the street that are all different, just never that often in a single day. I'm sure when most of us are commuting back to work, then you'll start to see a ton of them in the LA area.

Still lots of Model 3's on the road, on any given day.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
In my area, I actually see more Taycan's than Model Y's.

Well, there's 4 different Taycan's in my city that I see driving around all the time, but I do see a lot of different Y's on the street that are all different, just never that often in a single day. I'm sure when most of us are commuting back to work, then you'll start to see a ton of them in the LA area.

Still lots of Model 3's on the road, on any given day.
Taycan gas or electric? I've only seen 2 electric noticing no tail pipes and how quiet they are.

i remember back in like, 2013 or 2014 when I was in San Fran for the RSA conference. First time there. Was living in DC area at the time, and Model S sightings in DC were like maybe, 2 a day. At the most. And Tesla was considered high end luxury. Super pricey.

Anyways, walked around downtown San Fran by the Moscone center area, and Model S's were almost as plentiful as accords were in DC. That and guys on those motorized skateboards with handheld controllers. Went to multiple RSA vendor sponsored happy hours in that area and random folks were walking around drinking wearing Google Glasses. I remember thinking "these are some SERIOUS geeks with these glasses on..in a bar. WTF" And thinking that San Fran was beautiful..but...different...

Not long after, those glasses went the way of the dohdoh bird..

• Funny
Reactions: BigNerd
We used to have a game of counting Teslas on the way from our house to Grandma's house (10 miles). Price Is Right rules and 8-10 would usually win. That was a couple years ago and now I think it would be 15-20. Any time I go to a store and park there is usually a Tesla section with half a dozen M3's and the occasional S/X/Y. I think there are three just on my block. I drive around a lot during the day for work and I think I probably see 30-50 Teslas with the majority being 3's and probably approaching 20% Y's.