Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How may passenger safely stop a Model S with incapacitated driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scenario: I am cruising along on an Interstate with full autopilot active. I pass out. Is there a way for a front seat passenger to stop my Model S somewhat gracefully (e.g. without unbuckling to reach stalk on far side of steering column) and safely? For example, what happens if passenger pushes main power button (on end of near-side shift stalk) which would put car in park -- but while doing 70 mph?

If there is a good answer, I think that it should be featured more prominently in into training and basic documentation (owner's manual).

P.S. If this is already answered somewhere, I apologize. But searching for the topic using obvious keywords only led me to threads about automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance.

Remove their hands from the wheel. Without steering wheel torque from the driver Autopilot will start nagging for attention (alerts on the screen, increasing audible chimes). Eventually it will assume the driver is incapacitated and it will turn in the hazard lights and bring the car to a gradual stop.

In the meantime, you call 9-1-1.

Reactions: henderrj
As the PP said, pushing the park button will engage emergency brakes. Frankly, though, I feel like this this is probably not the safest way to stop the car in the situation you describe. I haven’t tried it, but engaging the emergency brakes at highway speed may stop the car much faster than other people on the highway expect and could cause accidents or cause you to be rear ended. Additionally it will disengage autopilot, so the car will no longer stay in it’s lane.

As the others said, leaving autopilot engaged until it stops the car on it’s own when it realizes that the driver is no longer paying attention is probably not a bad idea, or maybe simply pushing up or down on the shifter to cause the car to go into neutral until it can coast to a stop. Again, this will disengage autopilot, so the passenger will need to reach over and steer the car as it slows down. Once it gets to a slower speed then the passenger could hit the park button to engage the brakes and bring the car to a stop

I don't think anyone designs for such scenarios where passengers can stop the car from the comfort of their own seats without unbuckling. How far would you take it, second row, third row, family member driving behind you, family member on the phone with you when you pass out, police trying to stop the car? Some stuff just falls under "*sugar* happens" and no body wants to pay extra for the design on the mitigation.

I don't think anyone designs for such scenarios where passengers can stop the car from the comfort of their own seats without unbuckling. How far would you take it, second row, third row, family member driving behind you, family member on the phone with you when you pass out, police trying to stop the car? Some stuff just falls under "*sugar* happens" and no body wants to pay extra for the design on the mitigation.

yes to what @whitex said!

How would you handle this in a different car if the cruise control is on? And if it had an emergency brake pedal on the far side of the driver footwell.

With a Tesla you can pop it into neutral with the shifter... car will keep going, but slowly decrease speed. Need to take over steering. Much like pushing another automatic in neutral. Perhaps hold the park button for emergency braking when it has slowed enough.

Or you leave it in AP with hands away from the wheel and let it slow down/stop on its own. Maybe best approach on a freeway, probably not good on a local road. But if you pull the wheel enough to disengage AP, then TACC would still be on.

Pull out your phone, open the app, and hit the passenger eject button, have other passengers do the same. This option only works with Pano in the open position. It was update .54 pushed out by Elon's Elves last night. (joking)

I appreciated the real steps, I will have to teach my son how to do this so when I have the big one after a launch he can control the car.

• Funny
Reactions: mrElbe and DOCAL
Here is a video from Kman about pressing the parking brake while moving.
http://youtu.be/tNsl2oqvxuo
Ok, so the emergency brake is rather gentle. I was worried it would be like that emergency stop lever (labeled never use) in the space balls movie.

Seriously though, does that apply just thr main brakes, or is the parking brake on a separate physical mechanism that may work even if the main brake for some reason failed?

Thank you all for your useful and entertaining banter. It gave me the confidence to experiment with the "Park" button (previously I had been worried that it might instantly lock all four brakes). As some of you have mentioned:

When Autopilot is either fully or partially (speed only) engaged:

1- tapping the Park button disengages automatic functions, and car begins to slow down gently (regenerative braking pace) but somebody must handle the steering

2- pushing and holding the Park button disengages automatic functions, and slow-down occurs much more quickly, as if somebody is firmly pressing the brake. (releasing the button has the effect of taking foot off the brake, so you may press/release/press/release to manage the rate of slowdown.

So now I must teach my wife, who is fundamentally fearful of a car that can drive itself. Sheesh...

Thanks!

Remove their hands from the wheel. Without steering wheel torque from the driver Autopilot will start nagging for attention (alerts on the screen, increasing audible chimes). Eventually it will assume the driver is incapacitated and it will turn in the hazard lights and bring the car to a gradual stop.

In the meantime, you call 9-1-1.

I tested this only a week or so after getting the car. Was coming off the freeway on a double exit Lane in the right lane. I did nothing and even with cars all around me and even though it was slowing down, it did the proper thing stopped and turned on the flashers.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if I just turned on the flashers while going down the highway? I'll have to test that on my next trip. I usually take one every week but won't be for a week now. I'll let you know if anything fun happens! My guess is nothing but lights.