Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Model X ride/seat comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,
May I ask how’s Model X’s seatings comfort and also its cabin noise level VS other Luxury SUV’s such Lexus, Mercedes, Cadillac Lincoln Volvo Audi. If you have/ had owned 1 or some of them that I mentioned above, please share. Truly appreciate.

Dear all,
May I ask how’s Model X’s seatings comfort and also its cabin noise level VS other Luxury SUV’s such Lexus, Mercedes, Cadillac Lincoln Volvo Audi. If you have/ had owned 1 or some of them that I mentioned above, please share. Truly appreciate.

It’s good, seat comfort is very subjective, the seats work great for me. Somewhere between Ford and Audi on fit and finish.

I don’t consider Teslas to be luxury cars.

But drive one and you’ll see why everybody loves them - it’sa different experience and a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Lowtek.
And that could be one of the reason I did not include BMW in my post- fun fast and nimble?
How much comfort and quiet as other luxury is what my wife’s curiosity as she will be on passenger seat most of the time.
We did have a chance to test drive model X but it was too much info to absorb within that 15mins drive. Thanks
John

Thanks Lowtek.
And that could be one of the reason I did not include BMW in my post- fun fast and nimble?
How much comfort and quiet as other luxury is what my wife’s curiosity as she will be on passenger seat most of the time.
We did have a chance to test drive model X but it was too much info to absorb within that 15mins drive. Thanks
John

As a 1-week Model X owner I can safely say that driving the thing will never get old, unexpectedly smooth and agile for its size, and the pure power is just amazing .. it’s an impressive vehicle.

It’s good, seat comfort is very subjective, the seats work great for me. Somewhere between Ford and Audi on fit and finish.

I don’t consider Teslas to be luxury cars.

But drive one and you’ll see why everybody loves them - it’sa different experience and a lot of fun.

For the price I have to consider Tesla luxury cars ;)

The only brand on the OP list that I've owned was an Audi. And it was the worst car I've ever owned, even though I love it's looks, seats and handling etc. Also one of the shortest span new car I've ever owned and dumped it.

I think the quality of Materials isn't all that different than say an Audi. It's just that Tesla doesn't quite have the art of adorning bits and pieces to make it feel more luxurious than it really is.

I always love VW/Audi seats, they are some of the best. The Model X seats are quite impressive. A bit more on the plushy side than VW/Audi. My older body now appreciates that.

Cabin noise is a very sensitive subject with me. Although not on OP's list my Jeep Summit V6 was ridiculously quiet. I'd often accidentally try to start the car a 2nd time because I forget the engine was running. It had acoustic glass all around, active noise cancelation and 19 Speaker Harmon Kardon audio system which was super impressive. It was as comfy and quiet as I could ever want and it was the reason I bought it, and it wasn't cheap for a mid size ICE SUV.

I had a Model 3 before the Model X. I, like many owners, did a lot of DIY things to quiet it down. It was barely acceptable after many simple mods. Model X is in another league. It doesn't quite match how quiet the Jeep Summit was, but gets real close. Part of it, is how much glass Tesla uses and does not offer "panels" in front of them. My Jeep Summit had the Panoramic Roof. If I put the "inner" head liner all the way back, the cabin noise definitely went up. A 3rd party is offering insulated panels for Model 3 roof.

The Audio system in the Model X is neck and neck with my Jeep Summit. Ride comfort is similar. And the X is adjustable !!

Given how quiet the X is and how the open driving experience feels the slightly louder cabin is worth it.

I advise the OP to drive one a "aged" highway to hear the worst it will be (which is pretty good). On smooth roads even the Model 3 was quite good. But on more "textured" roads the Model 3 was and mind numbing loud while Model X is very good, but could still be better. Active noise cancelation would be nice.

I had a Porsche Macan before my MX and the Tesla is no way close when it comes to seat comfort and ride.
My MX has a harsher ride than it did with my suspension set to Sport; just in size and weight alone I thought it would be better.
Tesla’s fit and finish doesn’t come close to ‘luxury’ brands - frankly, given its cost has been one of my biggest disappointments.
As for road noise, hard to say - in my Macan, the point was to have that engine roar and one of its issues was that the cabin was insulated to the point of numbness and you had to open the windows to hear the gurgle/pop.
Given their isn’t an engine, it is quieter - but wheels make a big difference. I did a test drive of a LR+ and LR Performance on 20 and 22 wheels respectively, and the Db change was +7 on the same stretch of road.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had a Porsche Macan before my MX and the Tesla is no way close when it comes to seat comfort and ride.
My MX has a harsher ride than it did with my suspension set to Sport; just in size and weight alone I thought it would be better.
Tesla’s fit and finish doesn’t come close to ‘luxury’ brands - frankly, given its cost has been one of my biggest disappointments.
As for road noise, hard to say - in my Macan, the point was to have that engine roar and one of its issues was that the cabin was insulated to the point of numbness and you had to open the windows to hear the gurgle/pop.
Given their isn’t an engine, it is quieter - but wheels make a big difference. I did a test drive of a LR+ and LR Performance on 20 and 22 wheels respectively, and the Db change was +7 on the same stretch of road.

Is your MX a Raven? Raven on Comfort is a great ride.

Reactions: wreighven
Obviously seat comfort is subjective. I have owned several of the following SUV's. Porsche Cayenne (x2), Porsche Macan GTS, Lexus LX570 (x2), Lexus LX470, Lexus RX450H (x2), Audi Q5 (x2), Audi SQ5, Range Rover and Ranger Rover Sport (both supercharged editions) and too many Mercedes to list. My 2020 Model X performance has very very comfortable seats. I absolutely love them. The ride is also very comfortable on standard suspension height.

It is a luxury vehicle, just not nearly as busy as the traditional luxury vehicles. I haven't paid much attention to the noise level. I usually have music on and the Model X has a really good stereo system in it. Its not perfect, and no car is, but it is by far my favorite SUV I have ever owned.

I owned two Audi A8's before. The air-suspension is at least as good on the A8. The ride is incredibly smooth. Powertrain: No vibrations and tons and tons of power with a power-delivery that the Audi's can never hope to match, despite having fantastic automatic transmisions.
My car does suffer from the "shudder" problem with the ride-height set to "Standard" but as I drive in "Low" anyway, there is no shudder at all and the car feels more "planted".

The Seats in the X are to my liking. But so where those in the A8's. Not better or worse. Both very comfortable and never had any back-pain or other soar bodyparts in neither. Can drive all day without getting tired.

A Tesla spoils you rotten when it comes to smoothes and quietness. Can a car be more quiet than an A8. Oh yes...

However, if you look at it from a fit-n-finish point of view: Tesla's are not Audi's. Good, but not Audi or Mercedes level. But they make up for that in every other department. By now i'm completely "Audi-less" (only have the X) and I have not regretted it for one second.

Reactions: lowtek
I have a Raven X and I think the air suspension is great. Rides a little “softer” than our 2018 Q7 with air suspension, but still not feeling floaty.

The seats on the other hand are a little too plush for me. I like the more firm and supportive seats in the Audi or BMW. My last car is a X5 with the Comfort seats, and they are the best seats I’ve experienced. Firm, supportive, yet comfortable to sit hours on- end on road trips.

Reactions: wreighven
Moved from a GLS into the X and the noise level in my X is way louder than the GLS. The source seems to be wind and tires. That's the only negative though. I took it to the service center regarding the noise shortly after I first got it and they said mine isn't as bad as others that they have heard, so whatever. We turn the radio up a little louder when traveling at higher speeds.