Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you planning to spend?

How much are you planning to spend on your M3 before incentives?

• $35,000

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • $35,001-$40,000

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • $40,001-$45,000

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • $45,001-$50,000

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • $50,001-$55,000

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • $55,001-$60,000

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • $60,001-$65,000

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • $65,001-$70,000

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • >$70,001

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsrawa

Apr 11, 2016
Colorado
I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone is planning to spend on their M3. I know it's difficult to know with options not revealed yet but I think we can at least get an idea of what the demand will be.

At a certain price point you could buy two M3s.

I'm looking forward to getting the larger (maybe largest) battery pack, AWD, and Auto pilot. But I can be enticed to go for more if I can get the full tax credit (signed up first thing the morning of March 31st at the Bethesda, Md Store). Also depends if I'm fully retired by then.

Considering that I currently drive a 16 year old car that cost me $250 and was planning on buying used cars < $5000 for the rest of my life, the thought of just the base price astounds me. However, I believe it will be very worth it for our family in terms of increased fun travel together, health benefits (not being around exhaust, gas fumes, oil fumes, etc.), better safety features and will work out financially once we are able to pay it off and the $/km drops way off.

I find it VERY interesting how all levels of Teslas are having people spend orders of magnitude more than they ever thought they would on a car. I hear so many S or X stories of people driving $30k vehicles suddenly buying a six-figure vehicle...or even multiple six-figure vehicles!
Way to go Tesla and Elon!

Reactions: GSP and Luke42
Considering that I currently drive a 16 year old car that cost me $250 and was planning on buying used cars < $5000 for the rest of my life, the thought of just the base price astounds me. However, I believe it will be very worth it for our family in terms of increased fun travel together, health benefits (not being around exhaust, gas fumes, oil fumes, etc.), better safety features and will work out financially once we are able to pay it off and the $/km drops way off.

I find it VERY interesting how all levels of Teslas are having people spend orders of magnitude more than they ever thought they would on a car. I hear so many S or X stories of people driving $30k vehicles suddenly buying a six-figure vehicle...or even multiple six-figure vehicles!
Way to go Tesla and Elon!

I agree, Tesla is causing many people to reach into their pockets a little deeper including me. Their vehicles and mission make me not mind putting in the extra $$. I've been a car fan all my life but I was really starting to become unimpressed with the cars being produced and their total lack of innovation. Our phones are so much more advanced than the dashboard navs and entertainment in most ICE vehicles now. Tech in the general ICE auto industry is practically a decade behind unless you go luxury.

That being said I wonder if the responses here will be a slightly higher dollar value than the general public given that we are enthusiasts.

Absolutely want to keep spend under $50k before incentives.

Needs:
- Autopilot
- Premium Package

Wants:
- Performance
- Dual Motor
- Upgraded battery
- Fixed glass roof

Very doubtful I can accomplish all of that for $15k in options so something may have to give, but we'll see.

I'd like to try and get a larger battery without going to P or D (or L for that matter), the autopilot is a luxury item so it'll depend on how much it will be.

But most of the add-on cost will be on the color, wheels and interior trim.

Absolutely want to keep spend under $50k before incentives.

Needs:
- Autopilot
- Premium Package

Wants:
- Performance
- Dual Motor
- Upgraded battery
- Fixed glass roof

Very doubtful I can accomplish all of that for $15k in options so something may have to give, but we'll see.

Stealing your format, mine is similar to yours.

Needs:
- Autopilot
- Premium Package

Wants:
- Fixed Glass Roof
- Dual Motor
- Air Suspension
- Performance
- Ludicrous (I can dream but my wife would probably kill me)

Wanted to stay under $50k as well, seems like a decent cutoff to me and your not spending so much in options that you could but another M3.

We have a Volt so upgraded battery seems unnecessary to me, I'm used to such a tiny all electric range.

Reactions: pinski
Hoping to get the dual motor & upgraded battery for under $40-42k, which may be a pipe dream. If that's not possible, I'll probably stick to one or the other, plus the glass roof if it doesn't come standard. I'd love to keep it below 40k, and doubt I'll be able negotiate anything higher than that honestly. My wife would cry "Impractical! Outside our fiscal means!" and she'd be right.

Like a lot of you, I'm prepared to spend just a bit more on this car than I'd otherwise do because I think Tesla & Elon Musk are pushing a very, very important transition that no one else has the stomach for. His willingness to risk his own livelihood and his backbone in standing up to current interests in the energy industries speaks volumes to me, and I think what he's doing as a whole is incredibly important for us as a species.

Price: $45 - $50k

Needs:
- Autopilot
- Supercharging
- Dual Motor
- Upgraded battery

Optional:
- Cooled seats (only putting in optional because I'm not convinced they'll be available)
- Air Suspension

I don't really care for performance/ludicrous. It will probably be an expensive addition and even the base model will be a huge improvement over my current car (10s+ 0-60mph). If for whatever reason the price is reasonable for it I might consider it, but insurance costs might still be an issue.

Price: $45 - $50k

Needs:
- Autopilot
- Supercharging
- Dual Motor
- Upgraded battery

Optional:
- Cooled seats (only putting in optional because I'm not convinced they'll be available)
- Air Suspension

I don't really care for performance/ludicrous. It will probably be an expensive addition and even the base model will be a huge improvement over my current car (10s+ 0-60mph). If for whatever reason the price is reasonable for it I might consider it, but insurance costs might still be an issue.

Most important to me will be larger battery and autopilot.

I have the same "needs" :) Autopilot,Autopilot,Autopilot. No way will I pass on that.
Rather not go over 50k
I probably will go leather seats with heat and cooling (as long as it's available)
Will have to look into air suspension to see if it's worth it.
Ludicrous mode? Hmmmm, depends on price and tax credit. Totally impractical :)
My current 2008 Yukon XL has been paid for since 2012. 0-60? Ha! Not a stat for a Yukon :)
I will go with the 20" tires for a smoother ride rather than the performance tire/wheels.
Upgraded stereo? Damn the more I think about it this car may end up costing me 60k :)
Better start saving more now!

I noticed that many aren't going for air suspension. Is it available in the MS and does it make a big difference?

It is available on the MS, maybe a current owner with it could comment on the need or application. I dont know how often it fails out of warranty but I would just prefer different options that I feel I gain a little more from for the $$.