TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How much battery drain during standby mode?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by plasmo, Sep 2, 2016.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

Does anyone know how much battery is used when the car is in standby (and not plugged in) for long periods of time?

For example, in a hypothetical situation where I would need to park my car at the airport for a 10 day vacation (not that I would leave my Tesla at the airport, but this was the best example) in Parked mode, how much battery would be drained while the car was idle? Negligent amounts, or a noticable difference? Thanks.

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

It has been reported that the vampire drain is 2-3 miles per day with all systems off and 4-6 miles/day in always connected mode.

3. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

I had precisely that issue this past week when I parked my car at JFK while out of the country. See the thread right below this one.

Bottom line is I lost close to 10 miles per day. I had "always connected" on, and could not turn it off remotely. Tesla said that was normal. I barely had enough power left when I got back. I will test and see what the drain is with it off.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The vampire drain can be anywhere from 2 miles to 16 miles per day depending upon settings and ambient temperature. When parked for an extended period keeping it plugged in, even at 120V 15 amps, is strongly recommended (by me anyway).

5. stillageek

stillageek Member

Tesla's appear to be much more "on" than our current EVs ( LEAF and I3). I regularly leave my I3 at the airport for 4-5 days and drop barely 2% SOC.....maybe a mile. I can remotely check on it while parked. The LEAF is similar in operation. We have an X on order and might have to really think about it while away from home.

6. jerry33

No doubt about that. Tesla does a lot more managing of the car than any other EV that I'm aware of. This should translate to a longer life--time will tell.

7. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

I'm skeptical that any of this it to the benefit of the vehicle, at least in my indoor parking situation where the temps are around 65 degrees all the time and no heating or cooling of the battery should be necessary. As I have posted before here:

Vampire Drain - normal losses ?

I see drains on the order of 237W continuous, which is 5.6kWh/day of loss which is pretty ridiculous. I can say that because I have a Nissan Leaf which is also remotely reachable via 3G that has very little drain when the car is off. The losses here would completely drain a fully charged Leaf in a little over 4 days! It seems like the Tesla doesn't have very low power control modules and / or they are turned on far more often than they need to be.

This is a pretty serious problem as I have a lot of travel destination situations where there is no destination charging (e.g. camping) where the car is losing considerable charge over several days parked to the point where we might not be able to make it back to the next supercharger.

Even when plugged in at home, the daily recharging cycle that happens due to these losses has to be adversely affecting the battery life. If they can't keep these losses under control, it would make more sense for the charger to have an onboard "trickle mode" so that the AC from the HPWC could power the car directly instead of causing so many small discharge / charge cycles. Besides, I don't want to be receiving texts everyday that my charging has completed for charge cycles I didn't initiate.

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I've only seen high vampire drain when people are using apps like "TeslaLog" that hammers the car for information every hour and prevents the vehicle from going into "sleep" mode. Try disconnecting such apps and see if that helps. Also, if you're concerned about the drain, you could put it into Range Mode=ON and Energy Saving=ON.

If you are still seeing high vampire drain, it's time to contact service and have them pull logs to see what is causing the issue.

9. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

When my car was parked at JFK and I experienced high battery drain I did not have energy savings on. That makes a large difference. And i did have TeslaLogs running. Did not know that hit the car every hour. We should suggest an "away" setting that suspends logging.

10. jerry33

The longer the car is quiescent, the deeper the sleep. By waking the car up every hour, it never gets to sleep that deeply.

11. Stasla

Stasla Member

Luckily there's a supercharger at JFK! Now if you were in LaGuardia or Newark - would have been much worse...

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My vampire losses have recently (in the last 6-8 months) taken a big jump. A couple of years ago, when I would be away on vacation, the dedicated meter on my charging circuit would show the car topping off very other day to the tune of exactly 2.5 kWh. This number would be the same if I was away in the summer or the dead of winter. Earlier this year I was seriously ill and didn't drive the car for about 8 weeks. When I checked later, during that time my car was consuming power every single day. It wasn't a consistent amount each day, but it averaged out to 2.63 kWh. That's double what I used to see! I've been tracking it for a bit in % of charge, and I am seeing standby losses averaging about 5% lost per day.

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

For those that are concerned with ongoing vampire losses ... there is a hack available to enable 12V trickle charging when the car is off. :cool:

upload_2016-9-6_18-55-34.png upload_2016-9-6_18-55-47.png

14. Stasla

Stasla Member

Could you please explain how this combats vampire loss?

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Simple ... you can now plug in a 12V charger when the car is powered off. :cool:

16. jerry33

If you can plug in those devices, you can also plug the car in. I don't get why you wouldn't do that.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not sure if it really matters, but even when plugged in, my car at least seems to have to drop 3 or 4% SOC before a charge cycle will begin.It's not like leaving it plugged in "trickle charges" the battery. I suppose using a 12v trickle charger might reduce wear on the HV contacts which have to work every time the DC-DC converter comes on to top up the 12v battery.

18. jerry33

Right. The point was that electricity gets used either way, so why not just plug it in and be done with it. Assuming the use of sleep mode and not connecting frequently with various Apps, the vampire drain is small compared to the amount of power used when driving. And it's far better than it was originally.

19. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

The range losses posted here are many, many, times more than the power required to stream even 1080p video over LTE 24/7. If tesla log was pinging every second we still shouldn't see these types of losses. A standard (non-gaming) desktop computer with monitor and LTE internet will use maybe 120w of power. That's 2.8kw per day. A laptop computer would use significantly less. There are likely low hanging fruit inefficiencies that could be improved and optimizations created to dramatically reduce vampire loss without significant adverse impact.

20. SDRick

SDRick Member

Is there a way to override the apps and manually put the car to sleep either through an app or in the car itself?