Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much battery will be consumed for 8hrs with Car on while not charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, if I am going to sleep in my car at a place where there is no EV charging option, and if I leave the car on (put stalk in neutral and select park via center console), A/C on for, say 8hrs through the night...how much battery % will be lost for those 8hrs? Has anybody had that experience?

Just curious, if I am going to sleep in my car at a place where there is no EV charging option, and if I leave the car on (put stalk in neutral and select park via center console), A/C on for, say 8hrs through the night...how much battery % will be lost for those 8hrs? Has anybody had that experience?

Search for Vampire Drain, many threads on the topic. 1-3 rated miles over 8 hours, others have seen 6-9 over a 24 hour period.

Extreme example, Björn Nyland posted a YouTube video in which he lost 20% over 27 days while his P85 was parked in the Norwegian winter.

Search for Vampire Drain, many threads on the topic. 1-3 rated miles over 8 hours, others have seen 6-9 over a 24 hour period.

Extreme example, Björn Nyland posted a YouTube video in which he lost 20% over 27 days while his P85 was parked in the Norwegian winter.

He's leaving the AC ON, so that's more than just vampire drain.

He's leaving the AC ON, so that's more than just vampire drain.

heh reading comprehension issues here, my bad.

I believe Björn's Camper Mode video addresses power consumption while you are sleeping in the car. It's absurdly low.

I'm not sure if MsElectric's post is schtick or being serious, but the Model S isn't exactly hermetically sealed.

My biggest concern doing this is I'd be paranoid what would happen if the AC turns off for whatever reason.

If the climate controlled stopped completely could you suffocate inside the car on your sleep? :scared:

Opening 1-2 windows slightly should alleviate that concern. Many hotels, if they don't have a J1772 or Tesla Wall Connector, will allow you to connect to a 120 V outlet. Some even have them out in the parking lot attached to light poles. I'd call ahead first, and offer to pay a few dollars for the electricity used overnight.

Your best bet is to do this at home and test exactly what you plan on doing. Go home park the car in the garage and leave it running as you plan to do. Wait a couple of hours and go back and look at the power consumption.

For one I believe the car will shutoff automatically after 30 minutes but there is a phone app that gets around this.

Your best bet is to do this at home and test exactly what you plan on doing. Go home park the car in the garage and leave it running as you plan to do. Wait a couple of hours and go back and look at the power consumption.

For one I believe the car will shutoff automatically after 30 minutes but there is a phone app that gets around this.

I thought in putting in nuetral/parking brake wont shut the car off (even with no driver in the seat)?

Yes correct, stalk in "neutral" and car in park mode via center console screen. The place I am going to stay at is in a park where there is no electric outlet, so no electricity, I just have to manage the night inside the car, no other go :) I watched the Björn's Camper Mode video, pretty good, he says he lost about 8kWh and 29mi in 7hrs when the inside/outside temp is 66F/37F. Pretty impressive. Thanks for the video referral, that helps.

my vampire loss (not including AC) was 3mph - yes, 3 miles per HOUR. so over 10 hours I would lose 30 miles. I documented it with pictures here on TMC back in early 2013. Also the heat pump I think is 6.5kW or 8.5kW so if you leave it on at full blast could theoretically lose about 10% change per hour. Not that you would get anywhere close to that, but the point is that it is not insignificant, especially a concern if you have nowhere to charge to make it to your next destination.